Sign in to follow this  
Emma

Winter Village: Farm

Hi all, here's my entry for the Expand the Winter Village Contest III. (Also my first moc ever! -> comments, suggestions and criticism is very much appreciated):

Head over to the farm for some winter fun: hop on the hay wagon for a ride, enjoy toasted marshmallows and hot cider by the bonfire, collect some eggs from the chicken coop, and give the horse some special treats. Then there are always lots of barn chores that need doing. There are a few more pictures here.

Edit: Thanks everyone for the feedback/suggestions -> I've gone back and made a few changes, I've tidied things up a bit, tried to make everything fit together better (both visually and construction-wise), and overhauled the tractor. (At the very least, I don't think I made anything worse... :classic: )

8431740214_7552e25e74_z.jpg

8430735739_a0011cc316_z.jpg

8430655211_22c289ffa3_z.jpg

8431740168_64725ae349_z.jpg

8431740282_13c65559b0_z.jpg

Edited by Emma

Nice! I really like the at-home, "farmy" feel that this has. Two suggestions: one, why not add a few pine trees? People often go to tree farms at Christmas to shop for their tree, so maybe add a few pine trees of various sizes so customers can be picking one. Maybe put them around the campfire (but not too close--pine sap is flammable!). We bought our tree this year from a lot that had a little fire going--your scene reminds me of that. The tractor's cart could be carrying an additional tree to a customer's car.

Two, maybe upgrade the tractor tires to a more modern model. I don't think the old-style, red 4-stud tires look all that great compared to what's available today.

Other than that, very charming!

There's a lot going on in your MOC! I particularly like the combination of textures on the front and the roof line. The Fish wind vane was a nice touch and the Chicken Coop looks very effective.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Bomb fire?? Sounds pretty dangerous, but it explains the look on the kid with the M-Tron shirt's face. Nice touch btw, classic space torsos make good vintage shirts. I love the brick built split barn door and that's a great use of the gold LOTR ring. Good luck in the contest.

I :wub: it, a wonderful winter scene on an old farm complete with tractor and it's 1970's wheels. :sweet:

Marshmallows.....nice and toasted.....or totally on fire anyone ? :grin:

Good luck in the contest 'Emma' and Brick On in the snow. :classic:

Congrats on your first MOC! This is looking quite nice, especially the door (great use for the LotR rings), and it has a nice farmy feel, but I would suggest you try to make the front a bit smoother (just normal tan bricks instead of the "logs" might look better), as it almost has too much texture. Giving the stable roof the same tilt as the rest of the house (if possible) might make it look more natural, but nice color picks and the chicken coop looks really good! :thumbup:

Really wonderful :thumbup: :thumbup:

It seems perfectly the huts that you see in the mountains :wink:

Nice work!! I especially like the design of the barn/stable - the door looks great!!

The only think I might change is the tractor... maybe look for some images of old tractors online? But even so, well done (and good luck in the comp)

That's a great expansion for the Winter Village. It really is a nice-looking farm. The barn looks great with the fish on top acting as a weather vane. The chicken coop is excellent. :sweet:

I like it Emma - Some really nice ideas well executed (and nice to see an M-Tron mini-fig torso!). Best of luck in the competition.

This is great! I really like the stable. Looks very fitting of the Winter Village theme. The marshmallow roast is a fun addition. :laugh: The M-Tron shirt is a big plus!

Edited by Legocrazy81

Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions! If I have some time, I will try a few of the suggestions (especially on the barn front and the tractor) and see how they look.

- I would love to replace the spiky bushes with pine trees, (I could see that working much better) but I seem to be lacking them right now in my lego bin

- ah yes, and those old tires... my only other ones right now are the brown wagon wheels (now that would look odd on a tractor :tongue: )... I had thought of doing a horse drawn hay wagon...maybe this would fit better...hmmm (just getting back into the lego stuff I mostly have an older assortment of lego, and my new acquisitions have been LOTR/Hobbit/Kingdoms stuff; I've just realized how much this moc reflects my current lego state...lol)

- Oh and "bomb-fire" Yikes! that would be dangerous wouldn't it... :rofl: I meant bonfire :blush:

This is gorgeous! :wub: So many great details every where, but my favourite is the chicken coop. The egg in there is a really nice touch. I also like the overall look of the barn and how you have done the stairs to the upper level. Well done and good luck in the contest!

This moc looks great! I love the use of the ring and the chicken coop looks awesome. The wheels on the tractor look a bit weird, but not terrible. And is the pink an old part? I dont recognize it.

Thank you Kristel and TheStrategist for you comments :sweet:.

And is the pink an old part? I dont recognize it.

If you mean the pink torso on the lady at the fire, that is from the sidewalk cafe set from the Paradisa line (mid 90s I think).

Hi all, I've gone back and fixed up my entry a bit (thanks so much for all the suggestions and feedback).