cimddwc

Mod: Town Hall XL

As I already mentioned, I got two sets of this new modular building – which unbornchikken reviewed there – to build a bigger standalone version of it. Here's the result:

6958880631_f70c63c375.jpg

Featuring a bigger auditorium, a few extra rooms, and a staircase. I left the elevator the way it is – preserving this nice little oddity, so to speak. :)

I've added one window on either side, and with an extra stud between windows and protruding center, that adds up to 46 studs instead of 32. The top line (below the tower) is widened to 48 (because of the 2x8 plates with wide door rail); I actually wanted to use a double convex inverted slope 3676.gif at the corners, but who would have thought that this is one of these rare and expensive never officially released parts in this color...

I also thought about continuing the structured lines between floors (you know, the grille bricks and the inverted slopes with the round bricks in between – is there a special term for this stuff?) on the sides, but the top would also need the aforementioned slope, and the bottom in dark gray would clash with the window, so I kept the sides relatively flat.

6812770360_8bc9698f26_m.jpg 6812769982_677d129f2a_m.jpg

6812770210_4306af624a.jpg

Eating a croissant and looking up above the entrance... hmm, are these edible too?

Ground floor – larger auditorium and extra archive room on the right:

6812770462_6962793f3a.jpg

Second floor – restroom and separate office:

6812770584_66264cfe62.jpg

Third floor – double table, extra table (brown) for secretary/keeper of the minutes or whatever you call that, and a room for cups, dishes, catering, dishwashing:

6812770684_1a85d83b92.jpg

I tried to use as few extra parts as possible, in addition to what the two sets offer – not because I didn't have enough (except dark orange, that is), but mostly because I was curious about this... Not counting my foundation and the additional row below ground in the auditorium, I needed:

• 16 dark bluish gray tiles 1x1 for a properly aligned pavement around the flowerpots;

• 1 light bluish gray plate 4x6 on the ground floor;

• several white plates 4xX adding up to 24 and 6xX adding up to 16 for each of the upper floors;

• 17 white bricks 2x4 and 2 bricks 2x8 for the stairs;

• a bunch of old bricks as support structure below the ground floor, replacing the nice ones Lego hid there;

• 1 dark bluish gray plate 1x1 on the left side where Lego used a black round plate to cut costs;

• interior decoration of archive room (ground floor) and catering/dish room (top floor).

And these are the leftovers:

6958938961_ab8b53199b_m.jpg 6812828226_771e7725ed_m.jpg

» Same photos on Flickr.

...I actually wanted to use a double convex inverted slope 3676.gif at the corners, but who would have thought that this is one of these rare and expensive never officially released parts in this color...

Flip a normal white slope 3045.gif upsidedown :wink: Nice building!

Edited by Follows Closely

This looks great, and even more imposing, but when you said stand-alone I thought you meant with facades on all sides. This still looks like it should be attached to the other Modulars. I was thinking that all sides had facades with the same level of detail as the front so it could be surrounded by parks or be in the middle of a square. I do like the windows that stick out on the left and right sides. Good job regardless.

I was thinking that all sides had facades with the same level of detail as the front so it could be surrounded by parks or be in the middle of a square.

Yeah, I understand that. That would indeed be nicer. It's just that there are not enough special parts (log bricks etc.) in two sets – and I don't have any extra dark orange except for a few plates, nor these new double curved slopes – to do that on the full sides and make it as wide. On the other hand, I could add a reduced level of detail, but still more than now, on the left side... well, maybe... :)

This looks really nice, even more Town Hall-y!

Now I'd just love to see what you can do by getting 2 more and adding one to either side... ;-)

Thanks!

I quickly added a little more detail to the second floor windows on the left:

6959275461_c6391238fd_m.jpg

Now I'd just love to see what you can do by getting 2 more and adding one to either side... ;-)

If someone gives me the money... ;) Though I think it would become too big then – at least for what I have planned in my town.

This modification looks amazing! The building is even more imposing, and you managed to keep its style perfectly while improving some details. I prefer a bigger table in the third floor, and the extra rooms (toilet, archive, and the third floor room) all add more realistic touch to a 'properly' working Town Hall. Adding small windows on the side looks fine, the only thing I miss is some old tree with large branches all the way to the top of the building. Other than that, you did a great job with this MOD!

Great work on the mods to the new town hall. I like your wider version a lot better than the original 32 wide building. The proportions of the building look better balanced and more horizontal which is what I envision when I think of a town hall. The extra real estate on the interior is very nice and you used the space well. I think Lego did a nice job of getting all the features of a town hall in the interior but they seemed compressed. I think this will be a fun set to mod and I look forward to seeing all the different versions that people come up with. I see that you had a lot of extra parts leftover from the second set. Do you think it was worth it to buy a second one or would have it been better to get the parts off bricklink when they become more readily available?

Edited by danthaman11

Well this is what i hoped the Town Hall would be, a little wider than the normal modulars.. well now i might have to buy 2 of these and try the same -,-

AWESOME expansion of the original design ' cimddwc ' ! :grin:

True in the spirit of Lego indeed......more office space, even more realistic. :thumbup:

Excellent work ' cimddwc ' and Brick On ! :classic:

Really nice mod!

When I saw the first picture of the MOD I had to take a look at pictures of the original (since I don't have it myself yet) to see what was done to it. Actually the original look a bit small now and this looks more like how it should look :)

I think it even could be even wider without looking silly.

The interior mod is also very nice and in style with the original model. Good work!

Great job cimmdwic!

I hadn't even considered someone moding the TH, especially 6 days after its release. But you beat my mind to the proverbial punch. Great job with this, as with all of your works. Now to only find the money for this type of a project! :cry_sad:

Dakar

The Town all looks better wider than the original one and really looks the part with the wider version.

Nice mod :thumbup: Looks much better than orginal from Lego. A lot of this modular building is to smal and need to be mod to look better.... I`m looking forward to get this set in a few week and build it and make a mod :classic:

Really, really nice - the proportions are indeed better this way than in the official set. I don't think I'll buy more than one of these, as they're terribly expensive here, but I very much appreciate you showing us what can be done with two sets.

That is impressive! Great job with the addition there. There's been some awesome MODs of bigger modulars lately, but I think this takes the cake. Now to see this in a town setting.

Thanks, everyone!

Do you think it was worth it to buy a second one or would have it been better to get the parts off bricklink when they become more readily available?

Well, I can always use the bricks elsewhere later on; I didn't want to wait^^; and the 15% discount on AFOL shopping day in (apparently only the German?) LEGO Stores were good reasons to buy two now. :)

Good job as usual cimmdwic, I also think it is more proportioned now respect to the original. Will it be the center of your town?

Great work. Looks very real to me. You made good use of the extra space on the floors.

Although i like the original very much and i most certanly gonna intagrate it into my city, i like this one even more.

Brick on.

Edited by The Dutch Guy