7939 Cargo Train  

175 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Excellent review, Holodoc! Very in depth. This is the kind of review that makes me think about collecting Lego trains... :grin:

Great job. :thumbup: :thumbup:

~Peace

I like train although I don't like trains sold as a sets.

What I would prefer and what I think would bring TLC a bigger income was to sell train cars locomotives separately. It not only would allow to design the train of your own design (the cars, locomotives) but also would allow more people to have trains - the whole set is rather expensive and some people would have to collect cash for a longer period of time.

We also need to remember that someone may already have a train cargo station - either 4555 or one of owns design - and would prefer spending the cash for another car. We have plenty of trucks already therefore I would like in the set more minifigs.

The crane is badly designed - operator can't see the container...

From this set I would purchase the:

- locomotive

- tanker and container wagons

- truck with containers

- tracks

Rest of a cash I would spend on next tanker more tracks and parts to build 2 cars of my own.

The triangular part is not new though. As far as I'm concerned it's introduced in the space theme with the 6982 set

Edited by Intact

Awesome review Holodoc! This set looks mighty fine, and the new battery box is so cute and compact. I like the new controller too, it's very manly looking.

First of all, when my friend told me the review of the 7839 Cargo train was out on Eurobricks, i was like :cry_happy:

I had to see it almost immediately!

And man was i impressed! I really must say you did a terrific job at reviewing a wonderful train set which alot of us would kill for!

Thank you Thank you so much! And i'm glad your sons had fun building the train too! :thumbup: I wished i could do that ~~

Anyway, like alot of bros here mentioned, i do believe the price is putting us off a little, if not alot.. It's kinda overpriced.. but the new battery box surely is interesting, and definately very MOC-able! Sweet!

I love the minicars too! I'm sososo gonna create a fleet of them, sitting on train wagons pulled by my BNSF.. ~ Car dealership just got bigger! I'm wondering why two of the cars can have the exact same number plate though..

The trailer with the Red container is just so sweet! The truck is kinda off though...

Cant say much about the locomotive though... I personally like the 4512 Cargo train locomotive better than this one...

The overhead cargo train is a Super Plus point! But erm i was wondering... are cars hoisted down by cranes?

The tanker wagon has got to be a hot point for this set! I think i dont see ANY cargo train sets ever to have actually a tanker wagon included... come to think of it, i think the 'My Own Train' tanker wagon is the first one, right?

There's just one minor thing; i think you got the picture for 'Bag 5 The Cars Wagon' and the picture for 'Bags 8 the trailer and small yellow container' swapped... :cry_happy:

Anway Thank you once again for a very wonderful and detailed review! For me, i'm gonna sit and wait for sale for this baby... 200 bucks is truely a killer.... :cry_sad:

BTW, i voted 4 (above Average), one point taken away by the sky-high price...

Cheers!

I saw your pics on brickshelf yeterday so got myself an early glimpse, must say my only real disappointment is that they have changed the standard size configeration of the shipping containers? This is a very strange decission, also quite annoying that they could not have included one extra small container to fill up the truck.

Apart from that, a nice set, how well does the train pull? The price seems steep, without the lithium battery and the cheap non metal rails I thought they may have kept this around the £100 GBP. Does the train have any working headlights? or is it easy to add these? A standard feature time past?

Paul

And when will lego engage their brains and put the dreaded sticker sheet inside the instructions so it does not get creased, of course in the good ol days this would have been protected in a plastic tray :-)

Thanks for that review, and the nice pix!

That looks like a great set - I've been looking for an excuse to get into Lego train sets... this might push me over the edge :tongue:

This certainly is an interesting train, but if I read correctly some where this will be sold at around $300 Canadain which will be too much for me. Still it appears to be a great set.

By the way I think you mixed up the pieces shots for bags 5 and 8 :wink: .

Sorry, hate to be such a negative guy, but that this is the nicest since 2005 isn't saying much... (no, I can't let go of the 9V baggage).

My thoughts, as the Brickster says, are that I want this... but I won't go anywhere near it for 200 bucks.

TLG is making it fairly easy this year to ween myself off LEGO.

I feel your pain in regards to the 9V. My 9V trains still work great, and I have not been even remotely (no pun intended) tempted to change to any of the newer systems, especially since the systems seem to change every other year.

As for the price ... it's curious, because I distinctly remember a Lego rep discussing the death of 9V, and he said that one of the main reasons for the decision was to be able to offer lower-priced, entry-level train sets. That actually sounded like a good idea. Too bad it hasn't panned out. Instead of offering cheaper entry points into the hobby, Lego just makes even BIGGER, more expensive sets. Now, granted, TLC is packing more stuff into the train sets than they used to, but the price keeps going up. This particular set could have easily been broken up into about four different sets, each with a much more appealing price point.

Anyway, I don't mean to turn this thread into a price rant. Thanks for the great review!

I like train although I don't like trains sold as a sets.

What I would prefer and what I think would bring TLC a bigger income was to sell train cars locomotives separately. It not only would allow to design the train of your own design (the cars, locomotives) but also would allow more people to have trains - the whole set is rather expensive and some people would have to collect cash for a longer period of time.

The main problem about your suggestion is that TLC did exactly this: They sold the cars from the "My Own Train"-theme seperately.

There was the

10013 Open Freight Wagon tn_10013-1_jpg.jpg

10014 Caboose tn_10014-1_jpg.jpg

10015 Green Passenger Wagon tn_10015-1_jpg.jpg

10016 Tanker tn_10016-1_jpg.jpg

10017 Hopper Wagon tn_10017-1_jpg.jpg

All were sold from 2001 to around 2004.

If I recall correctly, TLC never made a lot of money on these. They didn't sell well. :sceptic:

TLC never made a lot of money on these. They didn't sell well. :sceptic:

They done alright from me, I bought 3 open wagons, 1 caboose, 2 passenger cars, 10 tankers and 5 hopper wagons, I don't know I could have bought many more to help support my hobby :-)

Strange though, this method of single cars seems to work well for Hornby?

Paul

Edited by paul_delahaye

Thanks, Holodoc, for this excellent review, but you haven't convinced me yet. I'm not going to buy this set... though I do like the petrol waggon and the colour scheme of the locomotive! However, for the time being the Emerald Night will be my one and only PF train! (...though I must admit I haven't equipped it with all the PF stuff necessary to make it run over the tracks yet.)

By the way, for me it's a mystery why the "My Own Train" waggons didn't sell well. I've got one of each. And many others here own them or even several copies of them. Were they available in ordinary toy shops or were they exclusives?

Edited by legotrainfan

Thank you very much for that great and very detailed review, Holodoc! :classic:

I voted for

outstanding :wub:

since this cargo train is imo the best one we got since the mid-ninetees. :thumbup:

Pro:

-containers

-truck and Smarts

-great style of the engine

-awesome looking tank waggon

-amazing cargo crane

Con:

-strange to have the Smarts fixed on these special bricks

-no side mirrors on the truck

-price point

-no doors in the containers

-no rechargeable battery included

All in all:

Like already mentioned this is imo the best cargo train set since the mid-ninetees.

The most I like that TLG did not only focus on the train and the waggons themselves but even on some sort of small trackside structure - namely the cargo crane and the truck with the containers - since this offers kids a lot more playability and for us AFOLs a much more realistic train scene. :thumbup:

I'm really looking forward to this cargo train since it'll be my first cargo train ever! :blush:

Here's one suggestion for a slight improvement to the crane (idea comes from my son Lukas): Just add some more rails to the left and right of the main track and put the crane on wheels! It works pretty well:

suggest.jpg

That's a very clever idea of your son, Holodoc! :thumbup:

It's really a pity that TLG didn't consider that, too! When I remember right, there was a train set in about 1995 which did include a cargo crane which could even move on wheels. Perhaps the next time?

The main problem about your suggestion is that TLC did exactly this: They sold the cars from the "My Own Train"-theme seperately.

There was the

All were sold from 2001 to around 2004.

If I recall correctly, TLC never made a lot of money on these. They didn't sell well. :sceptic:

I think that there were two reasons why these seperate sold train sets weren't sold very well:

1. Only steam train related stuff was released - no electric engine, no modern passenger waggon, no container wagon, no car waggon etc. If someone was't that keen on steam engines, he or she surely passed on them because of this reason.

2. But the main argument surely was that these sets did neither include minifigs nor any additional accessory. That was surely a clear ko argument - mainly for kids.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Were they available in ordinary toy shops or were they exclusives?

The numbers indicates they were exclusives. I have bought all of them on the 2nd hand market, so I can't tell, but I cannot remember having seen them in regular toy shops. So this may add to the bad sales. :sceptic:

Could you use the rechargeable battery box that came with the emerald night on both this and the passenger train?

I'm still loading the rechargeable battery :look: - stay tuned!

********************************************************************************

But now ladies and gentlemen, please listen up to an important update, thanks to freddies question:

********************************************************************************

What does the back-side on the new train-front brick look like? I'm curious as to wether it's possible to fit the standard LEDs inside of it or not.

:thumbup:There is a possibility (intentionally added by TLC!) to light up the train! :thumbup:

The train-front-brick comes with 4 nice little holes (which I completely overlooked :blush:).

21.jpg

2.jpg

These holes perfectly fit with the LED lights (8870).

led.jpg

You may even put 4 lights next to each other!

led2.jpg

Now I wanted to check how to build the train with the lights inside.

I took the locomotive apart again and now a flash stroke me: That was the reason TLC used red 1x4x2 arches in the structure! :cry_happy:

You can easiliy guide the cables underneath the arches and direct them to the IR receiver. So clever! :wub:

lights2.jpg

lights3.jpg

lights4.jpg

Place the two connectors to the left hand side of the receiver (next to the cable that leads to the motor) and you can put on the lights by using the right wheel on the RC device!

I'm still sooooo delighted to see that this really works. And there is still room for more lights!

This is how it looks like:

lights5.jpglights6.jpg

Nightshift ON!

Hmm I sticked on Pirates and shipbuilding, trying to avoid buying sets... but your very detailed review almost makes me want to get this one.

I've nerver been much into trains but the engine truely looks awesome :wub:

EDIT: wow even lightning works, now that's something pretty cool

Edited by Perfectionist

They done alright from me, I bought 3 open wagons, 1 caboose, 2 passenger cars, 10 tankers and 5 hopper wagons, I don't know I could have bought many more to help support my hobby :-)

Strange though, this method of single cars seems to work well for Hornby?

Paul

Most model train makers sell both kits and separately... LEGO used to do that, and I agree with Paul... I started with a couple of sets, and added to it by buying separate engines and rolling stock; three steam engines, one diesel (BNSF, and later bought a Santa Fe, but not directly from LEGO); a handful of cars, a couple of cabooses...

It wasn't just steam, though, they had the Santa Fe and BNSF, and I later I bought the intermodal cargo carrier (whatever it was they called it), and never had the opportunity to buy the Santa Fe cars, because they were discontinued by then, but I built several of them on my own...

But then I guess we don't represent the typical LEGO buyer.

I think that there were two reasons why these seperate sold train sets weren't sold very well:

1. Only steam train related stuff was released - no electric engine, no modern passenger waggon, no container wagon, no car waggon etc. If someone was't that keen on steam engines, he or she surely passed on them because of this reason.

2. But the main argument surely was that these sets did neither include minifigs nor any additional accessory. That was surely a clear ko argument - mainly for kids.

Klaus-Dieter

That's not really right... as mentioned, they had both Santa Fe and BNSF. Perhaps too North American-centric? They also had the Santa Fe cars and the intermodal cargo carrier (10170), all available for purchase separately. Moreover, every single one of the engines, both steam and diesel, were incredibly easy to put the motor on, and motor was a very reasonable price.

As for 2, I can't argue there. The diesel engines came with a couple of minifigures, but it's hard to see how they sold all that steam era (typically, although not only, associated with old west) without any figures to go with it... not even a "pack," as far as I'm aware.

But I don't know why it wasn't more popular... I could discuss it quite a bit without reaching a conclusion that I was sure was accurate, and I'm sure there's a number of reasons - both what was stated publicly and other reasons as well. There was definitely a lack of marketing, and the fact that you could only get them from TLG didn't help. I'm lucky to have a LEGO store nearby, but by that time 9V trains were already on their way out, and they didn't sell most of that stuff anyway (I did buy the BNSF there, and track and couple extra motors).

As someone else mentioned one of the stated reasons for the change was price, I think $200 is unconscionable. But this is what I predict will happen: TLG will be validated by all the people like us who will buy it anyway, but also all the parents of kids who didn't get a train set for Christmas because they were sold out everywhere.

Whoa the lights just made it even better, I like how they incorporated it into the design sneakily and sell the lighting separately

Otherwise if it had not been for this topic and comment I would not have figured it out :laugh:

I suspect the same will prove true for the passenger train.

It wasn't just steam, though, they had the Santa Fe and BNSF, and I later I bought the intermodal cargo carrier (whatever it was they called it), and never had the opportunity to buy the Santa Fe cars, because they were discontinued by then, but I built several of them on my own...

But then I guess we don't represent the typical LEGO buyer.

That's not really right... as mentioned, they had both Santa Fe and BNSF. Perhaps too North American-centric? They also had the Santa Fe cars and the intermodal cargo carrier (10170), all available for purchase separately. Moreover, every single one of the engines, both steam and diesel, were incredibly easy to put the motor on, and motor was a very reasonable price.

As a little bit of insight, I could never find track stocked by retail stores in Australia, and the price of the Santa Fe coaches was about AU$60, about the same as the engine. So to put together a working train, parents would spend $180 on two carriages and an engine, then need to spend AU$75 on an oval of track, and still need to buy a motor and controller. To do this they would either need to be lucky and find them all in one place (I never did even though I looked at a lot of Lego at the time) or order from S@H and pay shipping from Europe probably about AU$50. Retailers found the sales of the individual items erratic, and didn't restock them.

The AU$300 cargo train isn't looking too bad by comparison. At least parents know they'll get a complete working set for their money. Collectors who are normally adults will buy single Hornby carriages, but Hornby still produce sets because they know parents are more likely to buy something that is complete to start with.

Even the Santa Fe carriages sold badly, they were finally put on clearance on S@H for $20, and snapped up by bricklink sellers. It's no wonder Lego doesn't do this again.

Edited by peterab

Now that is really good news! We can add all the lights we want! And the light element is not that hard to come by (unlike the old 9v one). Truly a well thought out design. Now to get my hands on my own power functions setup.

Side topic:

The main reason I could see why they did not sell well was because just that, they were shop at home exclusives. I only got a BNSF because my mother saw the picture and was really impressed. And I got the big engine only because LEGO printed the wrong price on the LEGO club magazine. I think I saw the log car and maybe the caboose near Christmas time. And maybe once a tanker and that was in target were the smaller starter set was sold which had the blue passenger car in it. This was before the days of mass LEGO stores so unless someone was an avid LEGO fan who got the catalogs or was really good friends with someone who did, you never came across the sets period.

But look at the Emerald Night and how many have bought it because of the LEGO stores?

Thanks Holodoc!

I enjoy reading this review very much and the only disappointment about this set is its hefty price tag. However, this overall set appeals to me greatly with its locomotive and the whole bunch of wagons. The cargo crane is also a great touch and could also be moved to the harbour frontier. I will get this set and combined with my 7898. I supposed the main reason for this price increase could likely comes from its PF motor and remote.

By the way, this review is featured in Classic-Town.net,

bloggedct.png

I found the wonderful pic of the multiple-tanker-train again:

4380519386_28304b7455.jpg

(click to enlarge)

One more thought: I'm astonished, that TLC didn't hint at the possibility to use lights in the set! There's nothing in the instructions that makes you think of integrating any more functions.

Once again, TLC has missed a chance to sell more (LED sets 8870) and to increase the playing experience of the set.

I really wonder (and I don't understand to be honest) why they let this big chance go by. :sceptic:

Some good theories here on why the stand-alone train car sets didn't sell well. It almost seems like TLC sabotaged the effort by making them exclusive and hard-to-find. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy -- TLC complains that the train sets don't sell well, so they don't bother to put any marketing muscle behind them, so then they don't sell well, so then they don't bother to put any marketing muscle behind them, and so on and so on.

Back in the golden age of 9V, TLC always had a variety of complete trains, individuals cars, and trackside structures. For whatever reason, they've moved away from that to mainly offering complete trains. I suppose they have some marketing research to back that decision up, but personally, I find it very puzzling.

i agree about the price. what kid could afford 200 bucks for a train? lego again aims sets at spoiled rich kids, or adults who can afford it.

Afford has two "f"s. :tongue:

Anyways, of course it is, it's why all the LEGO Stores are around Boston or in rich areas.