[MOC] Burj Sina - Where you can see far

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Christoph

Christoph

Member: 8747

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

Times are changing in Historia. I am Abū Alī al-Ḥusayn ibn Abd Allāh ibn Sīnā, a truth-seeker of the Kaliphlin Guild. Deeply disturbed by news of disorder I went in retreat to Burj Sina where I contemplate by watching the stars. I am looking for answers.

Burj Sina is located deep in the desert, unknown to most - almost forgotten. Few have seen it but much has been seen. This tower belonged to my familiy for generations. Its secret lies on earth but it reveals the heavens.

Even though the stars are telling, I cannot see the future. But pointed to the horizon my telescope can see deep into the realms of Nocturnus, Avalonia, and even Mitgardia. Where are you heading?

Posted Image

Enemies, don't try funny stuff, the entrance is guarded!
Posted Image

Watching the stars can be hard work.
Posted Image

Minifig sight (on foot):
Posted Image
Abū Alī al-Ḥusayn ibn Abd Allāh ibn Sīnā, a truth seeker of the Kaliphlin guild

#2 Scubacarrot

Scubacarrot

• Completely Lame

Member: 21005

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

Nice work! I Like the shape of the top and the retracted door and walls and the mosaics in particular. :thumbup: One thing: Is the roof for the camel not unneccesary? Can it not stand in the shadow of the tower :P

Edited by Scubacarrot, 21 November 2011 - 01:57 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Spock

Spock

Member: 20825

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Good work my friend!i think it's Arabesque on this astronomy tower?

#4 Erynlasgalen

Erynlasgalen

Member: 14491

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Wonderful tower Abū Alī!

The small pop of color on the tower has to be my favorite part, it breaks up the tan just enough without being distracting.

I can't quite make out from the pictures what the white bricks are near the door. Can you enlighten me?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Currently portraying Amelia Phantomhive in the Kingdom of Kaliphlin.

#5 Christoph

Christoph

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the comments! :classic:

View PostScubacarrot, on 21 November 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

Nice work! I Like the shape of the top and the retracted door and walls and the mosaics in particular. :thumbup: One thing: Is the roof for the camel not unneccesary? Can it not stand in the shadow of the tower :P
I like to enlighten my students by asking back:
Would not be the tower unneccesary because I could stand on the roof of the stable?

View PostSpock, on 21 November 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

Good work my friend!i think it's Arabesque on this astronomy tower?
... probably some dotty dialect...

View PostErynlasgalen, on 21 November 2011 - 04:22 PM, said:

Wonderful tower Abū Alī!

The small pop of color on the tower has to be my favorite part, it breaks up the tan just enough without being distracting.

I can't quite make out from the pictures what the white bricks are near the door. Can you enlighten me?

What looks like white bricks are actually part of my personal belongings that I can't do without on my long travels. I must confess, they look like bricks. For clarification, my departure in the near future will look something like this:
Posted Image
(I won't tell if there are bricks in the package though)

#6 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

A very nice tower you got there! I really like the first pic with the stars! Looks like an arabian night!!

A question, where is the head from on your sigfig?? Looks really nice!  :classic:

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#7 Basiliscus

Basiliscus

Member: 890

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

Awesome tower Christoph! A great start for our Guild. I think yours is the first completed tower.

Love the recessed walls and the pattern. I have to say, that's a mighty fine telescope  :laugh:

Wahil Musca, slaver and entrepreneur of Kaliphlin, ambassador to the Emir of Gorr

Latest MOCs
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image

Flickr

#8 SkaForHire

SkaForHire

• Historica's Fortune Teller

Member: 759

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

From the ground going up, I really like your tower. The one part I would change is the telescope. I feel like it looks unnatural, because even a telescope made today would not be able to hold the stresses of weight how this is attached. I feel like the telescope needs supports closer to the middle so it looks more like a large telescope. I know you have limited roof room up there, so perhaps even enlarging the  roof surface, or draping the holding mechanism over the side (although that would limit some of the visibility / movement of the optics). Otherwise, Pretty awesome. I love that you added something unique to your tower that was clearly meant for more than just defense. It has inspired me to create a Royal Navy tropics magnetic and celestial observations post for my colonial harbor town I have been working on.
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."

Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea ... | ....   Devil's Island   ...... | ........    Rakath Mountain Ritual

#9 Scubacarrot

Scubacarrot

• Completely Lame

Member: 21005

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

View PostChristoph, on 21 November 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

I like to enlighten my students by asking back:
Would not be the tower unneccesary because I could stand on the roof of the stable?

Genius! Goes off making stables instead of watchtowers.

Posted Image

#10 Angeli

Angeli

• Drow Master Builder

Member: 14156

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

View PostChristoph, on 21 November 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

Times are changing in Historia. I am Abū Alī al-Ḥusayn ibn Abd Allāh ibn Sīnā...

Eban? :)

(XIII warrior:))

Anyhow, this is what went trough the mind of southerners while building this tower: "We saw machineguns and canons in other guilds, and it won't be long until spaceships attack us, so we better make something for watching the stars " :)

Great moc, btw, I love how it has subtle details

#11 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

• Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

Amazing work, a lovely level of detail as well, love the back story, which grounds it well in Historica.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

#12 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

View PostAngeli, on 22 November 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

Anyhow, this is what went trough the mind of southerners while building this tower: "We saw machineguns and canons in other guilds, and it won't be long until spaceships attack us, so we better make something for watching the stars " :)

We do not fear the other guilds. We do not fear that which can not hurt us. But Ancient Aliens (as seen on History Channel) from the skies... that is something to be guarded against.

--

Fantastic work Christoph !
I expected to see some 'non traditional' elements coming from the south, and you do not disappoint. Definitely a unique and one of my fav towers so far. Great job.
The entire concept is well done, The subtle colour marking is great. those few side ways studs just adds so much nice texture... there is a lot to like here.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#13 Christoph

Christoph

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Thank you all for the nice comments!  :cry_happy:  You are really a polite bunch.

View Postde Gothia, on 21 November 2011 - 06:49 PM, said:

A question, where is the head from on your sigfig?? Looks really nice!  :classic:
It's the head of the blacksmith in set 6918 (bricklink).

View PostSkaForHire, on 21 November 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

From the ground going up, I really like your tower. The one part I would change is the telescope. I feel like it looks unnatural, because even a telescope made today would not be able to hold the stresses of weight how this is attached. I feel like the telescope needs supports closer to the middle so it looks more like a large telescope. I know you have limited roof room up there, so perhaps even enlarging the  roof surface, or draping the holding mechanism over the side (although that would limit some of the visibility / movement of the optics). Otherwise, Pretty awesome. I love that you added something unique to your tower that was clearly meant for more than just defense. It has inspired me to create a Royal Navy tropics magnetic and celestial observations post for my colonial harbor town I have been working on.
This is a very good point, thank you. Initially, the telescope was much smaller but I couldn't get enough :blush:. I like the idea of a wooden support structure, which could be partially attached to the side of the tower. I will think about it next week... I am looking forward to your magnetic observation post!

View PostScubacarrot, on 21 November 2011 - 10:49 PM, said:

Genius! Goes off making stables instead of watchtowers.
:classic:

View PostAngeli, on 22 November 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

Eban? :)

(XIII warrior:))

Tremendousness from the East, I do not understand your first cryptic lines.
Regarding the spaceships: Some say you can only fear what you can imagine. Let me tell you, this doesn't mean your are protected by ignorance.

Abū Alī, who is seeking for truth.

#14 Angeli

Angeli

• Drow Master Builder

Member: 14156

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

it's from movie "The 13th warrior" with Antonio Banderas:

- He wishes to know your name.

- I am Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan, Ibn Al Abbas, Ibn Rasid--

- " Eban."

- No, no. Listen. Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan.Ibn means " son of."

- Eban.

#15 LEGO Train 12 Volts

LEGO Train 12 Volts

Member: 8037

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Very original and beautiful MOC!
I love the tan color all over the scene and the beautiful tower with its perfect architectural style!  :wub:
Nice work also for the parking area!  :laugh:
Posted Image   Posted Image

#16 Dan Church

Dan Church

Member: 3849

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

This reminds me so much of the three wise men from a very old christmas cartoon I used to watch as a kid!

Excellent building here!  I really like the colors thrown into the center of the tower.
Nandel Kirche, Tower Lord and Round One Defender of Mitgardia
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
On a quest to become, well i'm not quite sure anymore...
My MOCpages and My Flickr and My Rebrick

#17 Chief Justice Lego

Chief Justice Lego

Member: 16181

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

The tower architecture is great. My favorite photo is the last one posted where the camera perspective is low looking up. I want to echo what others have said about the mosaic color in the walls -- really nice building technique. The telescope is very original -- I like seeing something more than the standard martial desert warrior tower. I think the Kaliphlin guild is really a good base for some unique concepts like this.

#18 robuko

robuko

• Robuko Innovation Kaliphlin

Member: 4643

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Cristoph,

this is a great build, and I am so glad you did the astronomy tower, as you will see....
:classic:
Duc LeStrange, Special Envoy of the Petraea General Trading Company, of the Kaliphlin Guild.  
We work for Peace and Prosperity through Commerce.
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Gabe

Gabe

• Green capital G

Member: 12135

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

Lovely tower, it has just the right amount of detail and colour.  :classic: The monkey gaurding the entrance with a crossbow is a cute touch too!
Erudhalion Sansael, Admiral of the Kaliphlin fleet. Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users