Sign in to follow this  
Peppermint_M

The Action Theme You Love

As mentioned earlier, we know why we love Action themes, and we accept that they only have a short lifespan. However, some of these themes keep our imagination in their thrall. We MOC them long after they are done languishing in clearance. We rave about them to fellow AFOLs and they are forever our favourites.

So, which theme counted as an Action Theme do you like forever and always?

Personally it would have to be Adventurers and Alpha Team.

Probably Agents. I'm a big James Bond fan and usually dig anything that takes it to extremes. The LEGO attempt is particularly effective.

I did really like Power Miners but I've kinda gone off it.

I very like the Power Miners and Alpha Team.I am still making MOCs on them.I also like Dino 2010,but i can't find them.Agents were also loved by me,but i don't have any sets(there wasn't any of them in Russia).

Edited by MantaMan

The action theme that I keep coming back to is most definately Adventurers, for at least the following reasons:

- Global and exotic settings for the sets - this has given rise to a great array of minifigs, bricks and colors.

- Well established and named characters.

- I've always had a bit of an interest in Archeology, so really love set 5988 : The Temple of Anubis

- Printed bricks!

- Johnny Thunder is an Aussie :tongue:

To be honest I don't have much interest in the other action themes. Although I did buy Agents set 8970 : Robo Attack. Great mix of minifigs for city MOCS and gota love that Robot.

That's tough, but for me it's either Alpha Team or Aqua Zone. Adventurers also deserves a mention. All three were original in their day, had plenty of highly varied waves that kept the sets interesting through the years, and brought us some very memorable characters (Adventurers more so). Ironically I only really collected Alpha Team, because I got into LEGOs a little later on. Still I immensely enjoyed the few Adventurers and AZ sets I owned and I always wanted to go back and get the ones I missed. Good times, good times.

Sadly, though I think Atlantis and Agents are both decent themes, they're really no replacement for AZ or AT. :/ I hope that Adventurers gets the proper revival that it deserves someday.

I loved Alpha Team. It went on for a really long time compared to other Action Themes, and the characters were established. I also really liked Dino Attack and Power Miners, but sadly I didn't have a chance to get any :cry_sad:

Adventurers all the way! I just love Johny Thunder, Pippin and all their adventures. And Sam Sinister is just the perfect bad guy. He's even got the mustache to prove it.

I love Agents for it's cool color scheme and minifigs, but there's not a whole lot of MOCing potential in it, especially since orange and dark blue parts aren't very easy to come by. Therefore, my vote will have to go to Adventurers. The mostly tan and gray color scheme not only looks good, but is also easy to recreate in MOCs. It has some fun characters, and who doesn't love a good treasure hunt action adventure? It has both vehicles and locations, most of them based on ancient cultures, so there's tons of inspiration and MOCing potential! In fact, I think we should have an Adventurers themed month here on EB, but without any reason for it (like TLC reviving the theme) I doubt it's gonna happen.

To quote Charles Muntz from Pixar's UP: "Adventure is out there!" :sweet:

My vote undoubtably goes to Adventurers and all of its subthemes.

I remember seeing an ad for the desert subtheme on tv back in 1998, then seemingly seconds later my issue of The Lego Magazine arrived at my door with Johnny Thunder on the cover. I instantly fell in love with the theme.

It really was a very well executed theme - all the characters had names and stories behind them, the story behind each subtheme was simple enough but still provided enough depth to allow plenty of fun to be had, and most importantly of all... the sets themselves were very well designed!

While each subtheme only lasted about a year, we still got four waves. Many of the characters were carried over from one setting to the next, but there was always some sort of new supporting story behind their actions.

Being someone who likes lots of playability in a set, these certainly delivered. From the smallest set, to the biggest temple, they were all packed with play functions. To add to this playability, there was usually a huge amount of accessories included with each set.

For those more interested in parts for mocing, the Adventurers line had loads of very detailed printed pieces. These parts were often very lovely and completely exclusive to the line. They really enhanced the looks of the sets.

I could go on, but just writing this makes me want to go an get out my Adventurers collection. :laugh:

Special mention to Aquazone and most of the subthemes over the years.

Time Cruisers / Warpers. Where else can you adventure around the world in space... and time? Mix and match fun to the max.

I have a couple of sets including the Time Cruisers base, but am sad I missed the Warper's train, all weird and crazy.

No reviews on here I saw once... Maybe I could review the base.... :cry_happy:

My favourites are Agents and Adventurers (Egypt subtheme). I am a big fan of both Indiana Jones and James Bond and the Lego knockoffs are better than any licensed sets. (Plus, the knockoffs were there first.)

Nice new topic, Peppermint.

Well, being a paleontologist, and loving dinosours since I was a kid, I can't but choose Dino 2010 / Dino Attack as my top choice. I recently acquired some dinos, torsos and faces from this theme ('cause I missed it at the time :cry_sad: ), and I like to make small scenes with them (though I do not photograph and post them here).

Second in line are the super-spy themes (Agents and Alpha Team), for the super gadgets they have. It's funny to try and invent new gadgets and find ways to iclude them in my MOCs.

Then is Power Miners and Rock Raiders' turn, also because my paleontology preparation derives from a geology base :laugh:

I would have to say may favorite is the Power Miners, excluding the last lava sets (that were an abomination apart from the cool minifigures). I haven't gotten to MOC with them much, but i plan to start on some Power Miner vehicles and bases soon.

Adventurers and Rock Raiders were always my favorite.

I remember getting the Adventurers set's 5928 Bi-Wing Baron and 5958 Mummys Tomb the first time I went to Legoland. The whole plane ride home I drooled over Bi-Wing Baron and that nifty little Bi-Plane. I built it first thing when I got home. The Adventurers are still probably my most favorite Lego theme ever. It was very Indiana Jones to me and I thought that Johnny Thunder was Indiana Jones. Those movies always captivatedf me growing up and thats probably why I grew such an attachment to the theme. Bought at leats one set from each sub-theme.

Then Rock Raiders simply had awesome vehicles and cool peices (Similar to Adventurers). The story was interesting also. It was just unique and amazing to me. I beleive I got either 4950 Loader dozer or 4970 Chrome Crusher as Birthday gifts and awoke super early to build them. I truly did not care for Power Miners. And as much as a revive of Rock Raiders it was, it just seemed to <insert that tiresome argument> to me (No offense). Bring Adventurers and Rock Raiders back!!!

"Stay Frosty"

Edited by Paladin Hicks

Good topic. I would have to say that the adventurers ,particularly the egypt and amazon subthemes, are my favorite. I am really excited about the new egyptian theme but, I will pass judgement until I have the sets in hand. The Indiana Jones sets were good but, they somehow felt incomplete to me. I think that it was the fact that they only made ,for the most part, the interiors of the temples and never the entire temple. Atlantis is okay but, I really hate the subs for that theme.

P.S. It would be great if we had a poll to go along with your topic. :classic:

Edited by Jack Bricker

I like Johnny Thunder his story was okay. I also very much like Atlantis and the new Pharaohs Quest sets. But I'm not sure if Pharaohs quest counts.

I'm pretty much just back into legos and only have a few sets. I like Atlantis(don't care for the animal sets other than the snapper), but I love the Power MIners line. Mostly the 2009 stuff. Claw Catcher and Magma Mech don't do anything for me. My TRU just got a new shipment of Titanium Rig and Crystal Sweeper and I'm scrambling for money to get them so I don't have to pay ebay prices plus shipping! Also found somewhere to get the Cave Crusher for $50. Just leaves me with the Thunder Driller, Granite GRinder, Rock Wrecker, and Boulder BLaster(if I can find it for a decent price). I'm not big into playsets(lavatraz, etc) so I'll be passing on those.

New Pharoh stuff looks pretty cool.

I remember falling in love with the Adventurers sets when they first came out. Funnily enough, I didn't end up owning that many, but then I was only 8 at the time... But they tapped into something within me. I've always had an interest in history, and Ancient Egypt is something that particularly interests me. In fact, I can still look at the Adventurers sets, especially the Egypt ones, and love every one of them.

That said though, I was rather fond of Alpha Team, especially the first version. It was just something nice and fun, perfectly aimed at the 11-year-old me!

But then... Agents came along. So maybe I was a lot older physically, but inside I was still that 11 year old boy. I like my spying over-the-top and full of camp, and Agents delivered that in droves. And as some know, I'm rather fond of a good (as in, bad) pun and what are those villain names if not bad puns? Okay, so some of the vehicles were a little dodgy in the design department, but part of the fun is in the MODing, right? The minifigs were all superb, and it's clear that the fun not only comes in building and playing the sets, but that it also came in designing them!

So I guess I'll have to say Agents. Then again... can I nominate all three?

Bionicle naturally, oh wait you mean action, not action figures. :tongue:

I've always loved the Rock Raiders line, really cool building and character designs. And the vehicles were nothing to scoff at.

Plus the game was a blast. :sweet: