thetang22

Why doesn't Castle have its own section of Eurobricks?

As the title states, ever since I've been lurking at these forums, I've found it very odd that Castle, one of Lego's 3 classic themes (city/town, castle, and sci-fi), doesn't have it's own section of the forums. Instead, it is grouped together with a variety of other themes that are, in some cases, very remotely related to each other. I look at the list of sub-forums, and I see City has it's own, Sci-fi has it's own, heck....quite a few others have their own dedicated section. But when it comes to Castle, despite being one of the 3 classics, it gets lumped in with a bunch of other themes as "Historic".

You also have the Middle Earth stuff getting tossed in the same forum (as well as a variety of other non Castle themes, like Wild West)...but Middle Earth is to Castle what Star Wars is to Sci-fi. I get that Star Wars is supposedly the most popular brand Lego has been doing for a while, but even still, it's not as though the Middle Earth and Castle themes aren't plenty popular themselves.

Why does Castle settle for a lower status than City/Town and Sci-fi?

As the title states, ever since I've been lurking at these forums, I've found it very odd that Castle, one of Lego's 3 classic themes (city/town, castle, and sci-fi), doesn't have it's own section of the forums. Instead, it is grouped together with a variety of other themes that are, in some cases, very remotely related to each other. I look at the list of sub-forums, and I see City has it's own, Sci-fi has it's own, heck....quite a few others have their own dedicated section. But when it comes to Castle, despite being one of the 3 classics, it gets lumped in with a bunch of other themes as "Historic".

You also have the Middle Earth stuff getting tossed in the same forum (as well as a variety of other non Castle themes, like Wild West)...but Middle Earth is to Castle what Star Wars is to Sci-fi. I get that Star Wars is supposedly the most popular brand Lego has been doing for a while, but even still, it's not as though the Middle Earth and Castle themes aren't plenty popular themselves.

Why does Castle settle for a lower status than City/Town and Sci-fi?

I agree, Castle should have it's own forum as it's just as big as City and Space, but where would the others be grouped? What forum would contain Ninja, Wild West, and Vikings? :look:

Castle being grouped with other themes doesn't concern me much, because pretty soon it will be the only non-discontinued theme in this forum, essentially making this forum 95% Castle.

These forums are named not so much for the sets TLG released but for the MOCs posted.

Notice there isn't a "Space" forum, it's called Sci-Fi. Anything Sci-Fi goes in there, even though most of it is related to the Space themes. Same with Castle/Historic, most of the posts in Historic Themes are related to the Castle themes, but not all, and the Middle Earth stuff is lumped in here too.

If there was a separate forum for Castle, where would the other historic stuff go? Why should it be separate?

I don't see that its a problem practically speaking. And despite being a "classic" theme, Castle is definitely 2nd or even 3rd rate in terms of current popularity. It doesn't have a line every year, and the last line in 2013 had only 5 real sets plus a couple battle packs. Now hopefully there is a more expansive Castle theme in 2016 and it regains some popularity. I still think we'll be ok with just the historic forum.

I don't see that its a problem practically speaking. And despite being a "classic" theme, Castle is definitely 2nd or even 3rd rate in terms of current popularity. It doesn't have a line every year, and the last line in 2013 had only 5 real sets plus a couple battle packs. Now hopefully there is a more expansive Castle theme in 2016 and it regains some popularity. I still think we'll be ok with just the historic forum.

Back in 2009, I would argue that Castle was first tier, along with City, Star Wars, Agents and Space Police.

The only reason Castle is second tier now is due to lack of releases. The same can be said for Space. I'm pretty sure Lego has realized this, as Castle (and probably Space soon) will come big bigger than their 2013 versions soon.

Back in 2009, I would argue that Castle was first tier, along with City, Star Wars, Agents and Space Police.

The only reason Castle is second tier now is due to lack of releases. The same can be said for Space. I'm pretty sure Lego has realized this, as Castle (and probably Space soon) will come big bigger than their 2013 versions soon.

How do you know they will be bigger soon?

How do you know they will be bigger soon?

I'm sure "soon" is in reference to the 2016 rumors.

In terms of being bigger, that's just plain logic.

- the most recent Castle theme wasn't considered a huge success, but rather an alternative option from the Hobbit, aimed at a younger audience. Many considered it a less than 100% effort by Lego to make a "great" Castle set.

- Through the history of lego themes, Castle has always been one of the most popular.

- It is no longer going to be competing with LotR or Hobbit, so the fanbase won't be divided.

- ever since the 80's, the only time we haven't had a Castle line was when there was either LotR or Hobbit stuff taking precedence...that is no longer going to be the case, so it only reasons that a new Castle theme should be coming soon.

- The popular rumor is that the next Castle line is taking inspiration from the Fantasy Era, which was one of the most popular themes ever.

If you do the math, it seems a pretty likely assesment.

Why would they split Castle up into it's own forum and separate it from the History one? LotR and the Hobbit only went from 2012-2014, while Ninja and Western were released three years each. So in the past 35 years, that would be 8 years of none Castle stuff. Hardly enough to have it's own forum. The Middle-Earth theme was placed in history because otherwise, in the past several years, there would of only been the 2013 Castle theme to talk about. The Castle forum would be dead other than MOCs (and GoH).

They group it all together to keep the forum interesting and try to make sure there are topics to talk about with new releases and such. I am sure if LotR had ever gotten as big as Star Wars, it would of been broken into it's own forum section.

This is the castle forum, what the heck are you guys complaining about?

^ I agree with lotr/hobit ending if castle comes back next year it will have this forum all to its self. Maybe will a lotr should of done this or that topic just so the crazys can still have a place to rant (my self inculded).

Also space topic is called Sci fi not space and city topic is called town and not city and has friends in there too so castle topic is called history its all the same.

When Kingdoms was ending, the Powers That Be decided to put Middle Earth here in order to keep that forum active. Other historic licensed themes such as The Lone Ranger did not come here.

If Middle Earth was in Licensed, this place would have been as dead as the Pirated forum.

Pirates used to be a part of Historic but the Castle

and Pirates posts combined was huge. A split was made so there are two historic forums now.

There won't be any new Middle Earth sets but I don't think the MOCs will completely die out.

Castle will get new lines as few years and be the main focus of this forum again.

The Middle-Earth theme was placed in history because otherwise, in the past several years, there would of only been the 2013 Castle theme to talk about.

You mean, kinda like how Space has been a lot over the past 15 years since Lego Star Wars was released?

If Middle Earth was in Licensed, this place would have been as dead as the Pirated forum.

I'm sorry to say so, but that's bull! Just because the kiddies keep on ranting about the Missing Minas Tirith set, doesn't mean that this contributes to the well being of this forum. Just check out the crazy amount of castle mocs produced for the GoH forum alone and you'll see that you have no clue what you are talking about. History is one of EB's Top three boards and has been so even before LoTR. Besides, why should LoTR not be here? It's about castles and knights and all that kinda stuff, isn't it?

GoH is a sub forum that I rarely go into. While the builds look inviting, it is too much trouble for me to try to tie into all the mythology of that story.

Why, then, was Middle Earth here at all? It is not historic to say the least. Of course, any theme with dragons or trolls isn't historic either. Perhaps Castle 2016 should be moved to the SciFi forum while Middle Earth goes to the Licensed forum.

Besides, why should LoTR not be here? It's about castles and knights and all that kinda stuff, isn't it?

If we use that as a rationale, then Star Wars should be merged with Sci-fi.

If we use that as a rationale, then Star Wars should be merged with Sci-fi.

No, Star Wars is a license, it should go in the Licensed forum... :look:

Why, then, was Middle Earth here at all? It is not historic to say the least. Of course, any theme with dragons or trolls isn't historic either. Perhaps Castle 2016 should be moved to the SciFi forum while Middle Earth goes to the Licensed forum.

It is fantasy. LOTR should clearly go in with the new Elves theme. :-)

I've seen the merit in the arguments presented here. Part of this was confusion on my part. When I read "town" and "sci-fi" my mind immediately associated it with City and Space, for VERY obvious reasons. When I first came to Eurobricks and looked for the Castle section, "Historical" didn't have that super obvious and immediate association the way town and sci-fi do.

I suppose that is my main problem with it...the naming choice. How is "historical" supposed to mean castles any more than it means pirate ships and imperial armadas? Oh, that's right....because they have the very obvious section titled "Pirates", despite being just as historical as castles.

So why did Castle become the odd man out then, being put in the vague "Historical" section? Castle has a bigger representation and following than Pirates through Lego history, so why does Castle stay in the vague historical section, along with other sub themes that have absolutely no similarity to Castle...such as Wild West.

Why, then, was Middle Earth here at all? It is not historic to say the least.

Just for the same reason an imaginary game of thrones topic would end up here, it's invented history with strong influences fom the European middle ages - the same like most Lego castle series ...

Star Wars got it's own topic because of the sheer amount of traffic it generates on it's own and because it's always there.

While this topic may seem ridiculous, staff talk about these things all time. Where should Elves go? Why did Lone Ranger get kicked from history? Why is LotR here? Why isn't pirates in with history? Should GoH be its own forum...

Every point you bring up here, believe me, it's been considered.

The forum has evolved over time. It used to have pirates, now they are in their own forum, it didn't have LotR, but we felt it was appropriate here, I tried to keep Lone Ranger, but stronger wills prevailed.

With all that said, as soon as you get into the history section what is it? 90% castles. Read the description of the forum! What is the very first word? It is castle.

I'm sorry to say so, but that's megablocks! Just because the kiddies keep on ranting about the Missing Minas Tirith set, doesn't mean that this contributes to the well being of this forum. Just check out the crazy amount of castle mocs produced for the GoH forum alone and you'll see that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Amen to that! Just in my short time in GoH there's been about a thousand new topics.

I wonder if some of those advocating for a split "castle" forum could spend less time arguing semantics and more time building! If you've only been here a few months, why would you bother trying to change things?

GoH is a sub forum that I rarely go into. While the builds look inviting, it is too much trouble for me to try to tie into all the mythology of that story.

Well this is wholly your giant mistake! Even if you ignore the lore, the builds are fantastic. Some of the best castle builders and builds in the whole world are in that subforum.

Here are photos from the recent Guild MOCs... these have all been posted within the last couple of weeks, and it barely scratches the surface. The last MOC on here, which I posted January 25th is already on the third page due to the sheer number of awesome castle MOCs.

16504231115_0d3f23f43e_c.jpg

16305027757_bef888ea0e.jpg

full.jpg

16273236068_fe264b2533_c.jpg

15857266143_f9c2407ed6_c.jpg

16369236655_0686069bd4_c.jpg

We've got plenty of castle MOCs right under your nose!

Just for the same reason an imaginary game of thrones topic would end up here, it's invented history with strong influences fom the European middle ages - the same like most Lego castle series ...

Why is Wild West paired with this then? It has nothing to do with any of that? It's as closely related to Castle as it is Pirates.

If you've only been here a few months, why would you bother trying to change things?

First - duration of an active account isn't always true to how long a person have spent time on a forum. People lurking forums they have interest with is very common, without creating an account. That was my very case. I probably came here for a year or 2 before I finally pulled the trigger to create an account.

Second - duration of an account has no bearing of the total value of a person's question or idea.

Lastly - if a person who did just join is bringing up a point of confusion about the organization of the forums, doesn't it stand to reason that more people who haven't joined may be experiencing that same confusion...preventing them from really investing in the forum experience?

These are just some things to consider before throwing around the traditional "you are new here...quit trying to change the status quo" response.