Sign in to follow this  
Legotom

eBay purchases - built or unbuilt

I've bought a couple of train related things off of eBay recently and, on receiving them, I've been rather disappointed they've come assembled. All complete and in great condition, no complaints there, but I wanted to build them and feel a bit cheated.

What do other people thing, do you like your eBay purchases as a bag of bricks, or as a nice ready to play with (or just admire) model?

I have had a little of both worlds when I have ordered sets of eBay. I would rather the set come in pieces and not a completed build for the fun of doing the build on my own, but when the set has arrived and the seller left some pieces put together, I didn't mind.

If the set is built I just take it apart. Then I can make sure all the pieces are really there and maybe clean them up a bit anyway ;-)

I have only ordered from bricklink, and it came disassembled. So I got the joy of actually building some Black Falcon sets :sweet: .

Ebay purchases is best to me and as for the assembly, the seller makes note in the description whether the set will be delivered disassembled, assembled or partially assembled.

Just read the description and if nothing in there, write him an email asking how he will ship it.

Buying anything from ebay or even from othrr online stores without further questions is not wise.

Thanks

Received a GE, mostly, assembled. It was odd, as it looked like they’d just picked it up and dropped in straight in the box for shipping. Miraculously it arrived undamaged.

Assembled or dismantled, it’s amazing to see what some people consider appropriate packaging.

Edited by feed

I prefer it completely unassembled. A couple years ago a seller tried to slip me an older classic space set that had a few new and cheaper parts hidden inside. Only fools would mix old grey and bley in a set that did not have them mixed (such as 10030 UCS Star Destroyer)

For me,,i think it is risky to receive an assembled set for the following reasons:

1)- Some unique parts will get bend.

2)- more scratches, damages.

un-assembled and prepare them in zip bag is 100% safer and relaxed

cheers

All of the recent ebay purchases i have made have all come prebuilt, but pretty well packaged so nothing was damaged.

its a bit of a pain, but at least i can see fairly quickly how many, if any, pieces are missing. Which then break down and rebuild myself.

I much prefer to receive the sets disassembled. I've received assembled sets and I always cringe when I open the packaging and see those inevitable sections that have broken loose.

If I'm selling a set, I always make sure to disassemble and package it as I'd want to receive it myself.

I'd prefer unassembled, only because that is part of the fun! Although I don't know what would be better, unassembled or assembled to see if everything is together. Like someone mentioned above, someone tried hiding newer pieces in the middle somewhere because it was assembled. You wouldn't know that until you decided to take it apart, if you ever did. In that instance, I'd prefer unassembled also.

I recently bought a Mega Core Magnetizer and the description said complete/ not complete, as in the seller didn't know. But the picture at the very least had the main parts I was looking for considering the expense for the big wheels and the trans neon green panel. In the end, it was missing 2 pieces I think. So I'm pleased with that purchase. It did end up coming half assembled though, which was odd.

My preference is always unbuilt, especially if it's a large set. I don't see the point in buying LEGO that I can't even build myself, that's half the fun! Of course if it comes built I can always just take it apart. Also a lot of times assembled sets get broken loose by the time they reach you and you're stuck with a partially assembled set.

Mostly I try to avoid Ebay unless it's an unopened set/polybag. Like TheLegoDr said, there's some bad eggs on there that will try to cheat you out of pieces.

Edited by Gatthekid

Of course I prefer to build purchases myself as well, but I don't mind if it comes assembled. I simply consider disassembling part of the unwrapping experience.

Of course I prefer to build purchases myself as well, but I don't mind if it comes assembled. I simply consider disassembling part of the unwrapping experience.

I completely agree. Most sets I get on eBay are disassembled, but if they come together or partially assembled it's not a big deal to me. I just take it apart so I can clean and inventory the pieces.