dj_jynx

What's your workspace like

So, as i recently got back into Lego, my current workspace is my lounge floor, what setups do you guys have?

Feel free to post pics as well :D

Hehehe. I fully just assemble them at my desk or on my bed (with a surface for the build), depending on the mood or how long the build takes. I don't really have a 'space' yet.

I've only really started actively collecting Lego this year (with only 43 sets), so I'm not overly 'organized' nor innundated to the point of requiring anything more sophisticated.

Extra bits and/or dissassembled sets are all in ziploc bags, in three boxes that live in a closet.

This is my current set up. All my parts and MOCs have to be up high to prevent my 3 yr old boy from getting into them :classic:

That is a great, very organised looking workspace. your castle across the top shell pretty sweet.

Hehehe. I fully just assemble them at my desk or on my bed (with a surface for the build), depending on the mood or how long the build takes. I don't really have a 'space' yet.

I've only really started actively collecting Lego this year (with only 43 sets), so I'm not overly 'organized' nor innundated to the point of requiring anything more sophisticated.

The bed system, cant say i have tried that one, always worried id lose a piece and end up waking up middle of the night with random pieces of lego stuck to me :p

Mine for the time being is floor of the Living room till I have a specific room.

I have a room, will post some photos once it is cleaned up ;)

ah nice to see im not the only one, most of my old lego sets are just in a big box, all mixed together - thankfully the dual towel on floor, tip box out system works for me./

The bed system, cant say i have tried that one, always worried id lose a piece and end up waking up middle of the night with random pieces of lego stuck to me :p

It's actually my favorite way to build!

I've a flat surface for the build itself (I think it was meant for using a laptop? It's a cushion on one side and a hard surface on top...), and there's tons of space to sort out your parts within easy reach.

The only downside is getting up and down while you're building. If you hop up, parts fly everywhere. So you have to carefully stand up or sit back in. Hahaha.

I devastate my living room with selected trays of LEGO parts and build while watching the TV / listening to the radio. When all is done, I put the trays back into my storeroom . The (ikea) tables are el-cheapo so I dont mind getting them scratched.

Just like having my meals, I cannot indulge in LEGO building in absolute silence or in a cramped condition, hence the living room is chosen.

I build "official" sets in the living room in front of the TV.

But for MOCs I do that on the desk around which I store parts: http://antp.be/temp/lego/P1090981.jpg

It is a little small, and being in the sleeping room the space is rather limited: no real expansion further than that, though that I added a higher plastic drawer column on the left and bought a bed with drawers under it.

edit: here is a more recent photo: http://antp.be/priv/lego-apt/real_P1100071_1.JPG

So no TV while MOCing, sadly, just the radio. With a little more space I could use the computer (laptop) as TV but now I do not really know where to put it.

That's possibly one of the reasons why I MOC not as much as I wished, since I also have so many TV series to watch :D

Some day I should convert my second room (previously used for the computer, now just used as storage) to a proper Lego room.

Edited by antp

I am currently on vacation but I'll post some pictures when I get home!

My work space consists of 3 tables. 1 for building and 2 with storage on them. Almost everything I need is within arms reach. Above my building table I have two shelves with some creations/sets on display. The only problem is when I try to make a MOC larger than 64x64. I need to bring in a table from the basement. But that's about it! :tongue:

My current options are either to have a rolling cart and some boxes and either use the kitchen table, one of the drawers or the top of the cart, or I can use a folding tray or a square table in my room to build on.

Bedroom's small(only a little over 130 sq ft not including the closet when is used to hold random stuff), no room for a desk since the empty that once existed for a desk is now taking by a bookshelf. Honestly except for the fact that knowing my luck the moment i'd get rid of it, i'd wind up needing it, i'd get rid of the bed and putting a desk there instead. i prefer to camp out in the living room due to the dvr being in there and i've only used my bed like 5 times this year.

I use a room that's dedicated to Lego I have 3 tables for setups and MOCs I have 5 shelves to display vehicles( ferrari F1, Star Wars ships etc.) I have chairs all around the table so I sit and build at the MOC or modal I want to improve, that is my building space too for new sets. I use the Lego advent calendar trays to store sorted specific pieces. I use one tray solely for minifigures, their limbs accessories etc. Then I have storage bins for larger actual bricks.

Our basement is the future placement of a LEGO room. Currently it is finished (from the 70s?) from the previous owners. It thankfully does have some built in shelves that I use to display and store things. But ultimately my daughter and I end up building on the floor. It isn't ideal and will eventually change. It hurts my back to slouch over so often while building, but it does give me a lot of freedom to set parts around me into different piles without the worry of running out of space on a table (or things falling off).

No tv or radio down there. Just my kindle that I can watch netflix at times. Eventually it will have a couch and tv center with a separate area for building and displaying throughout the room. We have a few unfortunate things that need money first though..who needs cars or roofs repaired, am I right??

I don't do a lot of MOCing (Therefore not that many extra pieces. I have some PAB cup full of parts and some extra pieces in original boxes), so I mainly use one of my living room ottomans to build. I then display it on my LEGO shelf in my room.

Just like having my meals, I cannot indulge in LEGO building in absolute silence or in a cramped condition, hence the living room is chosen.

Same thing for me. I can't do anything in silence. I even turn on my dryer at night! The thought of sleeping in absolute quiet is horrendous!. I live with trees and forrest all around me, 4.2 miles out of city limits so there is no sound at all. Maybe I should consider a white noise machine... Edited by Gatthekid

Well, I store many of my designs or collections in three different locations at home......plus two storage areas for parts......I build 90% of the time in the lounge/dinning room.

One of the areas I actually call it my Lego mancave......I sleep in that room too (handy if I can't sleep I might build something :wink: ).

We have a pair of lit display cases in the dining room, to display and store Lego. Top and bottom thirds are for storage, with the middle third being glass and for displays. The displays get changed round on an almost weekly basis.

Sets that are taking a rest from display get stored upstairs, under the bed. The bulk of the standard bricks get stored in large plastic boxes in the garage.

I'm starting to think that we may have a little more Lego than we like to admit to ourselves :blush:

I used to use the dining table, but that became off limits after a while, so I set up part of my spare bedroom where my computer and desk are located. The bed is now buried in set boxes to be built and pick a brick cups. I have a spare computer table that has a pull out keyboard tray that works great for having the instruction book if I am building a set, or a sorting tray that I can pull out to get parts. I have one overfilled box of storage drawers on the side of the table too. My next improvement is a better light. The task light I have now is not so great, especially after dark, and there isn't any extra light coming from the window. I can just roll the chair from work table to desk as needed. The teak table is great too since its super durable and can work on it and not do any damage.

IMAG0397.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

Nonexistent.

I build sets on my living room table, and also built my last MOC there.

Classic Space sets usually get built at my computer table in my study (I sometimes buy bulk lots on Ebay and try to work out what sets went into the pile of bricks. Then I pull the set's inventory from the lot, add missing pieces from my collection and build away)

I don't really like working at my living room table, but it's the only one with enough room to put all the parts (I don't buy many sets, but the ones I do buy are usually huge, modulars etc). The lighting there isn't the best, and it's dark wood/black glass surface don't exactly help. I'll have to work something out there.

I just turned my LEGO room over to my girlfriend for her jewelry studio and moved my workspace down to the basement. It's pretty dark, but I recommend getting a full-spectrum light for your work table - really helps distinguish colors when I'm sorting - especially the old gray of Classic Space.

I would take a photo, but it's too messy...

Lol, do it. Post some

I use a room that's dedicated to Lego I have 3 tables for setups and MOCs I have 5 shelves to display vehicles( ferrari F1, Star Wars ships etc.) I have chairs all around the table so I sit and build at the MOC or modal I want to improve, that is my building space too for new sets. I use the Lego advent calendar trays to store sorted specific pieces. I use one tray solely for minifigures, their limbs accessories etc. Then I have storage bins for larger actual bricks.

That sounds awesome, and super organised, mine is just all together in a big box - for me, half the fun is spending forever looking for a piece. Only to find it, once i've stopped looking.

Our basement is the future placement of a LEGO room. Currently it is finished (from the 70s?) from the previous owners. It thankfully does have some built in shelves that I use to display and store things. But ultimately my daughter and I end up building on the floor. It isn't ideal and will eventually change. It hurts my back to slouch over so often while building, but it does give me a lot of freedom to set parts around me into different piles without the worry of running out of space on a table (or things falling off).

No tv or radio down there. Just my kindle that I can watch netflix at times. Eventually it will have a couch and tv center with a separate area for building and displaying throughout the room. We have a few unfortunate things that need money first though..who needs cars or roofs repaired, am I right??

Exactly, no one needs those but we all need a man cave / lego construction area - the bigger the better!