Knife-point Embassy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Scubacarrot

• Completely Lame

Member: 21005

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

My Lord Dextrus Flagg,

I write this to you, to tell you about the Embassy we constructed in the lands of Nocturnus,

As you know, Nocturnus is a twisted and hostile place, the landscape made with swamps, desolate plains. rugged mountains and fiery lakes of lava. Common sense made us believe that the Marshlands were the least dangerous of these, but we were wrong, so wrong.
For the marshlands are in the eastern part of Nocturnus, which means that our caravans have to travel far, to reach these lands. Although there is supposedly peace, the roads are filled with dangers. Our caravans have had to endure twisted bandits, gigantic monsters, there was even speak of dragons, at one point! And not to mention, the Drow! Many of my caravans have not made it to the place I am now, they have been burned, ransacked or have just completely disappeared.

The place I am now is being called Knife-point by the soldiers. It is called this way because we built the Embassy on a place in the swamp, where the rocks are as sharp as knives. The Marshlands are a pain to build in, the ground is almost nowhere fit for building, And the few places that are, are almost always taken by the locals. The locals we found, are as umpredictable as the shifting sands of the desert, we found. One day they are open to trading, the next they will try to storm our Embassy. The latter has been proven to be pointless, thanks to the squad of Elite Qarkyr Archers we were assigned, they have proven to be precise and deadly, an asset to Kaiphilin.

Life in Nocturnus has proven difficult, besides the dealings with the locals. Supplying has also proven to be difficult. Since many supply caravans do not arrive, we are struggling to get fresh water (The water from the swamps is undrinkable, naturally) and food. The latter is slightly less of an issue, as we have found that there is an abundance of edible fish in the marshlands. Still, fishing brings danger, as there are also ravenous monsters lurking where the fish are. My task for the coming time will be negotiating a trade agreement with the local werewolf clans, Wish me luck.

Honor to Kaiphilin!

Lord Shale

Hello all, This is my first real MOC since my dark ages, If you have any tips, comments or criticism, PLEASE let me know :classic: . I had some trouble photographing, but I think it is all right now. Here are the photo's:

Flickr Set: <iframe align="center" src="http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?user_id=75672871@N07&set_id=72157629287315001/with/6863469579" frameBorder="0" width="500" height="500"></iframe>

Posted Image

Posted Image

The back, two people are fishing, you might recognize the one on the right ;), On the balcony are two archers, ready to fire if anything shows up.

Posted Image

Close up of the standard, to scare off any potential enemies, mushrooms in different colours grow here, a workman is dragging a crate of fresh fish to the main building.

Posted Image

Tower picture, some Archers look out for potential threats, 2 Kaiphilin merchants are chatting about the prize of fresh water.

Posted Image

Lord Shale is Negotiating a Trade Agreement with the local werewolves

Posted Image

A target is set up for practice, but these archers are the best of the best, they don't need any practice!

I hope you enjoyed my Embassy, please leave C and/or C!

Edited by Scubacarrot, 12 February 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#2 Basiliscus

Member: 890

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Nice work! Good entry. You've captured the Kaliphlin architecture very well and I like the exposed wooden beams. Good placement of minifigures.

One thing is though - the colour mixing is a bit overpowering - there are so many colours overwhelming the eyes!

Wahil Musca, slaver and entrepreneur of Kaliphlin, ambassador to the Emir of Gorr

Latest MOCs
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Scubacarrot

• Completely Lame

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostBasiliscus, on 12 February 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

Nice work! Good entry. You've captured the Kaliphlin architecture very well and I like the exposed wooden beams. Good placement of minifigures.

One thing is though - the colour mixing is a bit overpowering - there are so many colours overwhelming the eyes!

Thank you! In hindsight, I think I would have used two or one colours less for the main building, but I didn't have enough, or it would be a very gray building :blush: .

#4 SkaForHire

• Historica's Fortune Teller

Member: 759

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostScubacarrot, on 12 February 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Thank you! In hindsight, I think I would have used two or one colours less for the main building, but I didn't have enough, or it would be a very gray building :blush: .

My critique was the same... but I understand being short pieces for sure. Great job here. I wish I had some of the color palette you have in plates... that swamp water looks nasty! Great job.
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."

Posted Image                                                       Posted Image                                             Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea    ...    |    ....          Devil's Island   ......        |    ........       Rakath Mountain Ritual

#5 Darkdragon

• Experiencing difficulty...eth

Member: 14331

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Love the way you did the murky water and the dock/stairs in the front.

#6 rucorder

Member: 18434

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Very nice wall texturing!

#7 Hyler Talliwell

Hyler Talliwell

• Master Sculpturer

Member: 25152

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

The water and the wooden slats making up the pathway are my favorite parts in this. Great work all around! Posted Image

#8 Si-MOCs

Member: 16567

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

The slats are cool, and I love the little path with the bridge.

If you're short on pieces you could always block differently, eg story has a slightly different colour pallet. So it would look like the building was built over several years - thus different material is used (which was common at the time).
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#9 Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

View Postrucorder, on 12 February 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

Very nice wall texturing!

Indeed! And great tocuh on the water, it looks poisoned! So very Nocturnus.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#10 Evil Stu

Evil Stu

Member: 20939

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

A great MOC! Good job on the subtle integration of the new 'textured brick' bricks, the curved path at the front, the walkway between the two buildings and the way you made the swamp water. All very inspiring  :thumbup:  And great work on the opening story too.

#11 Scubacarrot

• Completely Lame

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thank you all for your comments, they are very helpful!

#12 Cij Daoke

Cij Daoke

• Nocturnus Emissary to Mitgardia

Member: 21759

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

Very nice work indeed. I really like the details such as the wooden path, the swampy water, and all those minifigs making the building alive! Iw as pretty shocked with the colouring of it: but in a good way. I really think it fits perfectly the Kaliphilin architecture. Excellent all around!
Posted Image

#13 CptMugwash

Member: 15677

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

For this to be your first real moc from coming out of your dark ages it is brilliant.  TBH I don't mind the colours, I always thought Kalphlin to be a colourful place, a melting pot of cultures.  I love the details, the banner, the heads on spikes, the mushrooms, the steps and the swamp at the back, great job  :thumbup:

#14 Gabe

• Griffin Master

Member: 12135

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

Great embassy Scubacarrot, this is a pearler for your first moc!  :thumbup: I haven't got a problem with the mottled walls, i think they look really effective and cohesive. The awnings and the large banner also caught my eye - great work!  :classic:

ps. There is a local shopping multiplex a few km's away from us that we always call "Knifepoint" (It's actually called Highpoint) - it was the first thing i thought of when i saw the name of yr embassy. I had to do a double take; "wait, he's built a shopping centre??"  :laugh:

Edited by gabe, 16 February 2012 - 07:49 AM.

Erudhalion Sansael, Admiral of the Kaliphlin fleet. Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#15 Maxim I

Maxim I

• Hippy kicker

Member: 22634

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

It looks more like the 2 archers did a bet on who will catch the first fish and that they are supporting their favourite fisher :laugh:

Nice structure, only same remark as everybody else, a bit less different colours would make the result even better :classic:

Nice stairway structure! :thumbup:

Lord Damaximus of Stedor, loyal to the guild of KALIPHLIN!

East Stedor  - West Stedor

Posted Image   Posted Image
my flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/76053512@N04/

Check out my YouTube video: Gelukkig is er nu Openday.be

#16 Hersbrucker

• WIP it good

Member: 22070

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

That is so amazing, all this small details who fits in that whole MOC  :thumbup:
The color scheme is great.

Posted Image

“Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it.” Henry Royce †

My BL Shop______My MOCpages

#17 Rogue Angel

Rogue Angel

• No Longer Suffering From Male Pattern Baldness

Member: 4711

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

This is so Kaliphlin - I love it!  You've done a great job of integrating the Kaliplin colors and styles - the canopies and timbers sticking out of the walls are excellent.  I love the boardwalk as well as the use of tiles for the swamp.  Quality MOC!

Lord Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan within the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image

#18 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Member: 26273

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

I have to say that even with all the colors, you pulled it off realistically. Marsh and wooden walkway are awesome as well.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#19 Palathadric

• Makes other members' internet speeds seem ridiculously fast

Member: 19379

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Not a very friendly-sounding name. More of a "Stay away from our embassy" type thing. The colouring is fabulous! :laugh:
I love all the little details on your. The light sabres from the roof and especially the stairs leading up to the embassy. Really nice.

Edited by palathadric, 04 March 2012 - 06:01 PM.

Currently playing in TinyPiesRUs' "Ragarnok Now 3" Mafia Game as Patrekr the Red.

They that love God will never meet for the last time.
This life isn't the end. We will meet again.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Brickshelf Account
See my work in the Official Lego sets made in LDraw topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users