Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Decoding Lego Hieroglyphics

As I've been building a few Egyptian Desert Adventure MOCs recently, I've been looking at the hieroglyphic pieces from set 5978 (Sphinx Secret Surprise) wondering, I wonder if these pieces say anything?

Much to my surprise, after translating the symbols to English letters, I discovered that each symbol does in fact reveal a name- names of Egyptian deities/gods.

On the top of the tallest monolith, the name is Anubis; below Horus, and the 2nd smaller monolith has Thoht (or Thoth). This may be a misprint or possibly the Greek spelling for Thoth.

In any case, I appear to have discovered the true secret of Sphinx Secret Surprise. If this is nothing new to the adventure fans, please disregard. I think it's rather neat.

legohieroglyphics2.jpg

Interesting. God of truth, God of death, and the representation of the Pharaohs...where the heir was refered to as the "Horus in the Nest".

That is kinda neat.

Thanks, Brickster!

I'm not sure which catalogue you're referring to? Whichever, I don't believe I've seen.

When I get more time I'll look through the catalogue scans at Peeron.com and see if I can find it. Right now I'm in class so it will have to wait till later.

wow, that is really cool brickster... i've been interested in ancient egyptian mythology for over a decade now... and have never thought to look up the glyphs on LEGOs to see if they reveal anything. i just figured LEGO never dug that deep... i guess i underestimated them, however, i don't know why i would have... these are excellently designed sets !!!

i have a two volume set of egyptian to english dicontaries buried in the basement somewhere... maybe i'll have to dig them out and do some translating... that sounds fun !!!

this does bring up a point, i have wondered about before... why was LEGO so interested in anubis ??? there are multiple statues of him in the adventures sets (5938, 5978, 5988)... however, he was not the most important deity in ancient egyptian mythology... not at all !!!

i would have thought i would see more osiris, ra, amen-ra, and horus iconography ??? those were the primary gods.

even though i always though thoth was the coolest looking...

great topic !!! BM

Wow! Thats cool. I used to know Hieroglyphics! (From a grade 8 History project I took a little too seriously LOL) so I should have been able to check that out!!!!

I wish Lego would make a new adventurers theme in Egypt... that'd be cool...

this does bring up a point, i have wondered about before... why was LEGO so interested in anubis ??? there are multiple statues of him in the adventures sets (5938, 5978, 5988)... however, he was not the most important deity in ancient egyptian mythology... not at all !!!

i would have thought i would see more osiris, ra, amen-ra, and horus iconography ??? those were the primary gods.

Interesting indeed, I was wondering this myself. Also his name is written at the top of the monolith above Horus. Anubis was the most mysterious of the Egyptian deities, lord and protector of the dead. On the walls of some of the oldest tombs of the Old Kingdom, his name appears; and as funeral rights played such an important role in Egyptian religion and culture, he was in fact an important guardian. Answers to his mystery lie in the tombs of Cynopolis.

I wish Lego would make a new adventurers theme in Egypt... that'd be cool...

Definately!

I can find the thing I was referring to which decodes the heirogylphics, but I've made some interesting observations.

Johnny Thunder was called Sam Grant in the United Kingdom, but no other catalogue gives the mini-figure a specifc name other than to mention he is an "Adventurer".

The 1998 LEGO spells Thoth, "Thot" so whether that is a mispelling mistake I do not know!

In the egyptian adventure sets, we find some maps. There are as many different maps as monoliths. On each map, we find the face of a god or deity and its name in hieroglyphics. so it is easier to find the meaning of the monoliths. for anubis case, maybe it is the easier god to legolise?

Heh, I never realised that. A very nice touch by TLC...

And please, do bring back the Adventurers. Quite possibly my favorite Theme after Star Wars...

Thats all great and all, but useless for the kids...Who dont know where to find out. They should have put like a hyroglyphics translator in the instructions or something.

In the egyptian adventure sets, we find some maps. There are as many different maps as monoliths. On each map, we find the face of a god or deity and its name in hieroglyphics. so it is easier to find the meaning of the monoliths.

What you speak of Mr Alex54 can be found HERE in this catalogue scan on peeron.con

Thats all great and all, but useless for the kids...Who dont know where to find out. They should have put like a hyroglyphics translator in the instructions or something.

Evil Willy you should well know that LEGO is not just for children! Adding surprises and eccentricities to discover adds a whole new dimension and complexity. If everything was obvious and superficial what a boring and predictable world we'd have!

I find these little mysteries very surprising and enjoyable. Not everything should be spelled out. This adds an element of mystery and adventure to these sets.

I actually agree with Phes on this one.

Interesting... I remember wondering about this a while ago but assuming thst Lego would have just gone for looks...

God Bless,

Nathan

Well since Anubis is the God of the Dead and most of the sets are tombs, it makes sense Anubis would have a prominent place.

Also, though I think less likely, didn't the Mummy 2 come out about that time and deal with the army of Anubis, so maybe it was a marketing gimmick?

Steve

I think that was some good marketing by Lego -releasing the Egyptian Desert sets around the same time as the Mummy, and never having to purchase a license.

Wow. That's a very interesting idea. I would've never thought that those pieces actually said anything.

Good job!

Hot potato!

I bought a couple of the Egyptian sets not long ago but would never have thought The Big Block Org would be so imaginative as to actually produce a heiroglyphic code. I guess that was still in the days before Lego got too cheesy and boring with their sets. :-(

Neat. So the one left out of 5978 is this one:

2454px1.jpg

C...H....N...U...M

CHNWM

???

Oh well at least I can get this one.You open doors and disturb mummy, mummy use eye beams and kill you.

2431px4.jpg

:-D Those ancient Egyptians sure have a great skill of predicting the design of cranial attire hundreds thousands of years in the future.

Lets continue the exploration.

These are from the Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins set.

I guess that they are scenes from the Egyptian "Book of Death" adapted by Lego

Any experts that know the exact meaning?

3754px2.gif3754px1.gif

30156px3.gif30156px4.jpg

Wow, never expected that. Great observation, Brickster! ;-)

I guess that was still in the days before Lego got too cheesy and boring with their sets.

*strains really hard to not start an argument about how bad or good lego really is these days* :-/