legitimatealex

The Best Spaceship Released By LEGO

ahhhhh! I remember those!

my first set was one of the space police ships. it was the one with the "commander" in his small 1 man ship, little bigger then this one.

(brings back fond childhood memories)

Its the same way for me. I love the tiny little ships they put out when I was younger. They were pretty much worthless as far as pieces or impressiveness went to be truthful but I loved them all the same.

I like scooters from every space theme. Not very fulfilling as far as build challenges go, but their simple, charming and very swooshable. Best of all their cheap way to get minifigs.

Very first one was the 885 Space Scooter. :wub:

0885-1.jpg

The Space Police III version is the 'Raptor' that comes in the 5969 Sqidman Escape set.

5969-1.jpg

The best spaceship ever? No doubt about it. A set I've always wanted:

6973-1.jpg

Out of the ones on this page, I'd have to agree with the Ice Planet 2002 Ship. However, my favorite is the Mission Commander (The big ship from SPI). The colors rock, it has a bunch of great corner parts, and even though it only have 3 minifigures, they are old and the ship's workings make up for it.

Deep Freeze Defender for me as well. It's been my favorite ship since it was first released and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Ice Planet 2002 theme, but 6973 easily takes the cake as the best set in the line. That colour scheme is my all time favorite, and combined with the design of the ship means it's a huge winner in the looks department. Add in amazing playability and simply nothing else can appeal to me as much.

:wub:

Just hearing fans of the Ice Planet's Deep Freeze Defender makes me smile, Ice Planet is my favorite theme, ever. While I do think that is a great ship, I find that the Blacktron Invader is my most favorite ship. Has a nice sleek design and you can't go wrong with the Blacktron 1 colors!

My favorite is the SP Striker:

6781-1.jpg

This set arguably had the best implementation of the old 9V lights, and looks very sleek and heavily armed. :sweet:

Some of my other favorites are the 6939 Saucer Centurion, 6915 Warp-Wing Fighter and the 5974 Galactic Enforcer. Among small sets, I like the recent 5981 Raid VPR a lot. Despite its size, it has a fully enclosed cockpit, and includes great figures.

However, my favorite is the Mission Commander (The big ship from SPI). The colors rock, it has a bunch of great corner parts, and even though it only have 3 minifigures, they are old and the ship's workings make up for it.

The colors and parts selection in that set are excellent, but I think the model itself is actually the weakest of the SP1 line. It's large and has some cool features but feels quite hollow and empty inside, especially compared to the SP2 and SP3 flagships.

My favorite "space ship" is my first Lego Space Set 6811 Pulsar Charger:

6811_Box.jpg

It is simple and very very cute :wub:

Sadly that green rocket part at the rear is missing.

For me it has to be 6985 Cosmic Fleet Voyager,was the ship i always wanted when i was a child and just missed out this week on ebay :cry_sad:

001.jpg

As a close second the latest space police big boy is just awesome,tis on display just out of my sons reach!!!

Wallpaper5974_Download21.jpg

I don't think it's possible to pick a "best spaceship ever released". Obviously it's based on personal opinion and varies based on context. One's age, what they grew up with, how they define good design, nostalgic value, size, and what they consider the qualities of "the best" all play a factor.

Obviously ships from the classic space range like the already posted galaxy explorer, cosmic fleet voyager, and galactic mediator, are all ships I would rank amongst the best. I would also include the galaxy commander (below) on my short list.

galaxy-commander-1983.jpg

Oddly enough, I do agree that the ice planet deep freeze defender is without a doubt one the "best" ships. Its modular design, play features, colour scheme, and it's galaxy commander reminiscent styling all give it big awesomeness points.

However I have to say that my all time favourite spaceship was blacktron II's Allied Avenger.

6887-1.jpg

The ship was the perfect swooshable size, had a great colour scheme, modular cockpit, and that great X-foil wing design I loved as a big childhood star wars fan.

Oh, good topic! Of all the space ships I've ever owned, there's only one I can think of that I enjoyed so much:

6886-1.jpg

What more needs to be said about a group of space cops who didn't bother with engines, instead propelling their ships with sheer badass-ery alone? :wink:

In all seriousness though:

-Awesome color scheme

-Concealable laser cannons

-Laser beam jail cell

-An inexhaustible swoosh factor

Yeah, this little ship is a whole lot of win. :thumbup:

One of my favorites is Raid VPR. It's design, when you really look at, has a sort of classic feel melded with sleek parts. However, my favorite, (not the best one made) is defientely Squidtron's Smash'n'Grab. :classic: Don't own any older space sets I'm afraid.

For me it has to be 6985 Cosmic Fleet Voyager,was the ship i always wanted when i was a child and just missed out this week on ebay :cry_sad:

001.jpg

As a close second the latest space police big boy is just awesome,tis on display just out of my sons reach!!!

Wallpaper5974_Download21.jpg

I struck out on a 6985 once before too. :hmpf_bad:

Then I heard of the upcoming 5974 Galactic Enforcer, and I must say it fills the bill for a large non-Star Wars type space cruiser in the tradition of the Cosmic Fleet Voyager. I also think its better than the 6984 Galactic Mediator, which I have.

But the 6980 Galaxy Commander is the one ship that remains closest to my heart, and I'll keep it forever. :wub:

Mission comand (space police I):

-great color scheme

-size

-detachable rear part(prison hub);great for modding

-trans red parts(never enough of trans red)

-playability (openable cockpit/vehicle under it, removable rear part, all those prison pods)

-sturdiness(something that new ones doesnt have)

allied avenger (BT II):

-great octogonal cockpit

-nice color scheme

-playability(movable wings, detachable front part-cockpit)

As for theme i'd pick M:tron over any (except BT I)due to non combat role and one of best sets ever made:MEGA CORE MAGNETIZER(for great color scheme, but lets not forget about magnets too).

Mission comand (space police I):

-great color scheme

-size

-detachable rear part(prison hub);great for modding

-trans red parts(never enough of trans red)

-playability (openable cockpit/vehicle under it, removable rear part, all those prison pods)

-sturdiness(something that new ones doesnt have)

My favorite ship too!

6889-1 Reacon Robot. When I think of my childhood and space, I inevitably think of this one. My favorite.
and one of best sets ever made:MEGA CORE MAGNETIZER(for great color scheme, but lets not forget about magnets too).

Is this about the best spaceship released by LEGO or did I miss something?

If it's about the best space set, I vote for the 6990 monorail. If it's about spaceships, then I stay with the Deep Freeze Defender.

Edited by Richie

yes its about SPACESHIPs (it was only mention in context;as m:trons had spaceships too).

Exploriens MotherShip was great to, at least color scheme and shape of ship(and again non combat role).

Somehow i cant find Sp3 flagship satisfactionary, maybe im just to tied to past ones(sp I, BT, BT II, SP II; MTRON,ICE planet,Exploriens, spyrius and UFO) but all those "PODS" sticking out of the main fuselage looks weird.Not to mention "targets" on the end of the pod, for quick release/getaway. Maybe its funny to kids(TFOL), but somehow i cant find it logical nor useful.

It would be great if TLG would bring back trans yellow and trans red/green/neon green canopies and all those corners(mission command set), or at least make a GOOD remake of BT I (in same color scheme, otherwise it would piss off BT fans)...

yes its about SPACESHIPs (it was only mention in context;as m:trons had spaceships too).

Oh, yes, now I read it. :blush:

M:Tron was indeed one of the greatest Space themes. :thumbup:

maybe im just to tied to past ones(sp I, BT, BT II, SP II; MTRON,ICE planet,Exploriens, spyrius and UFO)

I have the same. Those pods don't really make sense, except for playability.

Mine has to me the Galactic Mediator, since it's the largest classic ship I own. I even have the box still

6984-1.jpg