• Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Set Number/Name: 6090 Royal Knight's Castle

Theme: Castle/Royal Knights

Year Released: 1995

Pieces Count: 764

Minifigures: 11

Price: You should be able to get a used set for less than 80 euros on ebay.

It's been a while since i told you i'm gonan do reviews of a few older sets that are still missing in the review index here. Been a bit busy, but now i'm back! All the reviews from the new kingdoms sets forced me to dust off another set today and take some pictures. Let's begin!

The Instructions:

s73f6845.jpg

The good old yellow-orangeish instructions like we know them - not much to say here.

The Minifigs:

s73f6832.jpg

s73f6833.jpg

s73f6834.jpg

s73f6837.jpg

s73f6831.jpg

Wow! That's 9 figs, with a total of 6 different Torsos. When there's something good about classic sets, it's the amount of figs you get! The only "issue" is, that there is no character from a rivaling faction in this set. Is there anything else? Oh yes, we also have some characters that are not human here:

Horses & Ghost:

s73f6841.jpg

Accessoires:

s73f6838.jpg

Weapons, anyone?

Overall views of the set:

s73f6815.jpg

s73f6818.jpg

s73f6819.jpg

s73f6820.jpg

s73f6821.jpg

I really like the overall design of this castle. The raised baseplate is unique and has a good shape. If there's something to critisize for me, it's the backside. I don't know, i just think it's not the ebst design, probably the wall should have been a bit higher.

Detailed views:

Moving from the inside out, we begin with the fountain on the deep ground of the castle, a very nice thing to add!

s73f6822.jpg

Right beside, there is the prison - it's got plenty of space, but the royal knights seem to be in times of peace so right now it is empty:

s73f6827.jpg

s73f6828.jpg

If we move a little to the right, we find a very well hidden secret entrance "Hey look, there's steps and a secret door!":

s73f6826.jpg

A bit above that, we find the king's throne, also featuring a trap door if the mighty one isn't in the mood to talk to someone:

s73f6825.jpg

Back on the ground again, there are happening very mysterious things:

s73f6830.jpg

And if that didn't frighten you enough, the spooky ghost comes out of his little home:

s73f6823.jpg

Conclusion:

This has to be one of my favorite castles ever, right behind 6086 Black Knight's Castle. It has lots of playing features, plenty of figs and tons of accesoires! I can't imagine a child ever getting bored with this set. Hope you liked the review, see you soon with the next one!

Thanks for the review.

I always loved those large baseplates, in my opinion this castle is better than the new one

This is one of the most playable castles in Lego history- hiden places, traps, secret passages. You forgot mention about the barrels hidden on the top of the tower, they can fall on someone heads ;]

Great castle. Very nice and detailed towers. I love the gargoyles and also the use of weapons & shields for decoration.

Total of 9+2 figs (skeleton and ghost apart), including two archers and three horseback riders is good.

You forgot mention about the barrels hidden on the top of the tower, they can fall on someone heads ;]

You're right. There's so much details in this set it's easy to overlook some. :P Also recoginzed i forgot the poll, gonan add that right now.

Edited by metalandi

Thank you so much for this review!

This is easily one of my favorite Castle sets of all time (and one of my favorites regardless of theme). The castle is so eye catching, thanks to both it's size and amazing design. This set has got so much going on, there are seemingly endless details and hidden features. As with many older castles, there are plenty of wonderful minifigures and horses for them to ride on. I could honestly go on all day about all the great aspects of this set, it truly is an example of Lego castles at their best. :wub::wub:

Thanks 'metalandi' for this review ! :grin:

AWESOME clasic castle set - but why is everyone smilling ?

Heaps to build and play with in this one !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Thanks for filling in the index with these great Castle reviews. I've always wanted an inside look at these castles, and you display it very well.

This castle was the last of the true raised-baseplate types. I have King Leo's Castle, but that one just can't compete because the baseplate isn't designed to make a lovely castle like 6090. What's so great about 6090 and some of the other castles you've reviewed is that the baseplate provides wonderful interior space, while still having towers and such to make it a grand castle. People might complain about not having a nice throne room, but all King Leo's Castle was was a throne room!

This castle is great, but it's sad that it was the last of its type. Maybe if LEGO makes another castle exclusive geared toward AFOLs (like MMV), they can give us a true raised-baseplate castle in this style.

Fantastic Classic Castle set! Is this the one that the newer Kings Castle is based on? It's 100 times better.

Fantastic Classic Castle set! Is this the one that the newer Kings Castle is based on? It's 100 times better.

I understand that 10176 King's Castle is supposedly inspired by 6090 Royal Knight's Castle but has more structural similarity with 6091/6098 King Leo's Castle.

I voted Oustanding, and I mean it. I remember how unimpressed I was by the Dragon Masters big castle, so this castle was a real winner after that. I like this line in general and the details of this castle in particular. Too bad I didn't have enough money for the biggest sets back in the day. :tongue:

This castle is definitely outstanding! Thanks for this review! I particularly like all those details like the well or those stairs that are part of the raised baseplate. I didn't know there were stairs that were part of the baseplate!

What I regretted, though, is that LEGO decided to introduce new lion shields and torsos with the new lion symbol on them instead of staying with the old ones. I don't think that a change was really needed.

Edited by legotrainfan

Well, you can just take them as another faction in the lego kingdoms (like i do). Cause as far as i know, the old faction was actually called "lion knights" and the newer one "royal knights".

Edited by metalandi

This brings me back to a magical time when Lego was not skimpy with their figures. What a great set with a great selection and variety of figures and weapons.

I forgot how much I love this castle, my older brother had it when we were little and I was always jealous :tongue:

Great review, thanks a ton!

I have had this castle since I was a kid and I still love it to this day. I don't quite understand why people hate the bases so much. I mean, it is nice to get a castle without the base but, I also like to have some castles with the base because it looks so natural and cool on those little mountains. Anyway, great review and outstanding set. :classic:

hehehe you're very right. I was never bored with it. It was my first big set, and I still have it somewhere (though lost a couple of flags and such)

it's really a nice set. good review aswell!

This set and faction of Castle was amazing, it's my favorite looking LEGO Castle heraldry as well, the colors just work very well, with the white/blue/yellow/red representing the 4 more classic basic brick colors.

I don't have this set myself but 3 others from this theme (Royal King / Skeleton Surprise / Royal Drawbridge) and even those smaller sets were well done, and I used to make my own smaller castles from that on the 16x32 baseplate.

Edited by TeriXeri

The colours, architecture and parts of the castle itself are great - but the figures and heraldy are terrible.

Bump from the abyss 

Out of many castles I own, this one still my fav. Lots of details. Traps, prison, watchtower, unique baseplate, just a great overall design.

Another bump, this time a question: Can anyone please tell me how tall this set is at its highest point? I'm trying to size it up for some shelf planning.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Remus_Lupin said:

Another bump, this time a question: Can anyone please tell me how tall this set is at its highest point? I'm trying to size it up for some shelf planning.

Thanks!

14.75 inches to the top of the highest flagpole, though I recommend leaving a little wiggle room for a dragon attachment. For reference, my shelves are 16.75 inches apart, which gives just enough clearance to make it easy to take off the shelf without bumping into the shelf above.

6090_dragon(1).jpg.91be0375ab023f2c563b6d3973976ed0.jpg

Edited by mvLego

28 minutes ago, mvLego said:

14.75 inches to the top of the highest flagpole, though I recommend leaving a little wiggle room for a dragon attachment. For reference, my shelves are 16.75 inches apart, which gives just enough clearance to make it easy to take off the shelf without bumping into the shelf above.

You are a life saver, I came close to ordering a shelf that was just too small. My castle is currently in storage so couldn't do this myself.

Thank you!