Scale from 1-5  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What do you rate this set?

• 5-Outstanding
    • 4-Above Average
    • 3-Average
    • 2-Below Average
    • 1-Poor

Great review! I saw the set along with the new pirate ship at LEGOLAND California. It looks like a good set to me, but I still think its a little pricey for what you get. I do love all the details and printing on the Minifigs though :pir-cry_happy:

omfg Grea review of a great set! thanks so much!

The set is great, really true to the original Pirates line!! Simply great! I will buy it.

only one thing I don't like: no backpacks for the soldiers!! Only printed ones on their backs? I prefer real backpacks!!!!

A great set and a great review ! Now I want it even more ... Lego12 , I hate you ! I want it soo much because of you ! and I'll have to wait soo long :'(

Thanks for the review!

I've voted for "above average." While I like the introduction of new pieces like the telescope, I'm surprised that LEGO forces new pieces on us though old ones would have been better... better for continuity's sake! Why are new castles walls needed? Why not take the old ones? Or why does the crocodile have a new colour? Or the brown base of the palm tree; why not using the old pieces?

Anyway, there are some nice new torsos in the set, and the base is modular, which is brilliant. And we are getting a new colour: dark brown. No real news since we have seen some dark brown pieces in the Castle Town Square 10193. But as for myself, I think I'm going to continue with classic pirates... apart from the new pirate ship.

Great set and great review! Love the extra pieces - is it just me or are we gettign more and more extra pieces this year?

I can't wait to get this one - anyone got the pirate ship out there yet?

bye

timbutnice

I have to admit I voted below average.

Judging on the preliminary pictures I felt this set would have more detail and more building fun. But seeing the review now there´s not much I´m interested in. Lots and lots of really basic building techniques, lack of details, no interiors... There´s lots of play features like a cannon and the lift, and of course a lot of minifigs and accessories for this size, but I expected MUCH more from a set with a $50 price tag.

This set is nice for kids, though. And if I had a son, I might even buy this for him. But any serious Pirates AFOL shouldn´t be blended by the fact that finally pirates are back, but stick to the much more interesting classic pirates sets. I wouldn´t even buy this set just for the parts, it´s just not worth the $50, IMO. Any comparable LDD building with this amount of parts would be cheaper!

Edited by DJ Force

Thanks for the review. It certainly makes the set seem more appealing than I initially thought. The minifigures are looking really good. However it does seem to be lacking that little extra detail to justify the price.

Just one question: are the exposed bricks on the walls stickers? (there aren't any showing on the front page photos) If they are stickered rather than printed I might be more inclined to buy it.

Cheers for the thorough review!

God Bless,

Nathan

I just checked again and compared...

Compare for yourself! :pir-sad2:

Number of pieces: 367

Minifigs: 6

Release price: $49.99

Number of pieces: 1601

Minifigs: 8

Release price: $99.99

Which one would you buy and which one would you hate? :pir-laugh:

First one is the harbor and second is the Medieval Market Village, just for info.

I believe the palm tree trunk is the same piece as seen in e.g. the 4+ pirate sets, i.e. its not a new piece.

TLG have probably gone with it as its much cheaper to use that than it is to make the 3 or 4 pieces needed for the classic pirates palm tree.

Thanks for the feedback! :pir-classic:

Question about the dynamite piece… can it stand up by itself on a plate? (By which I mean snap into place not just lay on the studs)

I haven't thougt about that........it doesn't snap into place.....but it can be held by a minifig! :pir-sweet:

Excellent review. Do you guys know what is going on here? 2009 is the year I will go bankrupt, because much like the way 10193-1 Medieval Market made me decide start collecting Castle, now this set is going to make me lust after the Pirate line! I am afraid... I am very afraid... for my finances...

Excellent review. Do you guys know what is going on here? 2009 is the year I will go bankrupt, because much like the way 10193-1 Medieval Market made me decide start collecting Castle, now this set is going to make me lust after the Pirate line! I am afraid... I am very afraid... for my finances...

Handle it as I do. Compare! :pir_laugh2:

First one is the harbor and second is the Medieval Market Village, just for info.

That's an interesting comparison. $50 for 367 is really steep, especially for a non-licensed set. We're all used to paying the "Star Wars tax," but for Pirates? Ouch.

Unfortunately, it's probably just a sign of things to come.

I voted above average. True, the set is overpriced and a bit small, but it has a ton of useful pieces and acessories, awesome minifigures, and has a great modular system that is begging to be added onto. Plus, it's pirates - and it's very close to the style of the original theme. I'll be buying it for sure. :thumbup:

Which one would you buy and which one would you hate? :pir-laugh:

Eh? Why do we have to love only one set and hate the other? I personally love both of those sets from what I have seen - even though you do have an excellent point about the piece per price count. Don't forget however that the second kit is going to be a Shop at Home exclusive, so we can expect a big shipping price and tax to raise the final toll.

As far as actual set cost is concerned...

How much would it cost to put together the basic fort in LDD? That'll tell ya how much Lego is charging for the figs/accessories.

In truth - and review - and a set of simple SHIKARNYE! No words! I think that the fact that you purchased this exclusive and Take an overview for those who still do not have - you should get an award! * jaw fall off, long on the floor looking for loose jaw and bailiffs her back looking at an overview * :pir-oh::thumbup:

As far as actual set cost is concerned...

How much would it cost to put together the basic fort in LDD? That'll tell ya how much Lego is charging for the figs/accessories.

I don't think that will work very well, as LDD is notorious for charging especially high prices, even compared to official sets.

Edited by Grevious

Thank you for the review. I thought it was thorough and informative.

The first time I saw the set, it was lacking to me. Why are the building techniques so simple X_X !! Why does it lack so many pieces?

I agree with most of everyone on here, it is WAY overpriced. Buying this set only supports TLC to continually sell this crap. If it were $40, it would make sense since $40 is already quite expensive for this base model (LEGO IS NOT CHEAP). Selling it for $50, my conscience won't let me do it with that kind of money. I would rather get dwarves mine.

I also don't want TLC to get an impression that this type of thing is something the fans really want. I think fans deserve MORE for this price. If not more figures, then more pieces. C'mon TLC x_x what is going on here? I am keeping this set FAR away from me as possible when I walk into the store, I don't want it anything near me until they put a descent price tag on it, one that reflects it's true value.

Edited by legobear