Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Greetings, fellow guild members!

Look at me, trying to be a bad guy:

blueflower1.jpg

If you wonder why, read on!

Mikel and NiceMarmot, the WIPs look amazing!

Abū Alī

Not sure if any other guildmembers are in Northern California, but thought I'd alert you all anyway, as these pieces might be in PAB cup bins in other stores as well. I went to the Santa Clara LEGO store on Friday, and loaded up on these awesome, very Kaliphlin-esque swordleaf pieces:

30239.jpg?0

They're about $0.50 each on BrickLink in quantity; I was able to pack about 80 into a large PAB cup, and still have lots of room left over for other stuff.

The other stuff included trans-puple 1x1 cones, trans-medium-blue 2x2 round bricks, 1x4x3 window frames and panes, and 1x4x6 doors and frames. Cool stuff, but the swordleaves was what really got me excited. Perfect for Kaliphlin MOCs! I heard that the San Mateo/Hillsdale store has them too, so I might have to visit to see what else they have, and get some more swordleaves. I've probably got about 100 now, and I'm worried that may not be enough for some future epic MOC...

BTW, Abū Alī, I love that mosaic! I haven't read the thread yet; I'll go read it now.

Is it too late to join? I sure hope not. :laugh:

I may be a little biased, but Kaliphlin is the best group to join :thumbup: and even better it is never too late to join! All you need to do now is post your sigfig and get building. Challenge three ends on May 12th, so you better get building if you want to join in on the challenge fun.

You may also want to look over this overview thread as well. Guilds of Historica Information

How is everyone doing on challenge three so far? I just posted mine up (Shameless Plug), still might throw in a few more story pictures, but I am happy with the way it turned out. I reread it a couple times, so I am hoping I caught all the spelling mistakes.

7155403504_a07d0e468d_n.jpg

Temple by erynlasgalen, on Flickr

It is late, but I'll be back tomorrow to add some more details about it and get commenting on all the entries so far. All the editing has made my eyes crossed too much tonight.

Wow, some amazing entries starting to come in for Kaliphlin! :thumbup: I don't have much time to comment individually atm, but i'm loving Erynlasgalen and Cristoph's entries, fantastic work guildies! I'm very much looking forward to Mikel's huge dio and the final form of Gex's intruiging looking WIP too. :sweet:

I am struggling on with my challenge 3 entry, i'm a bit behind now (blasted work) but i have all Friday and most of Thursday to work on it, so hopefully i should be able to come up with something at least? It's going to go right down to the wire though... :oh3:

Anyway, i thought i'd show you what Erudhalion and his quest partner, Priestess Nammuat, encountered during the hols... not exactly a crystal gaurdian, but fearsome none-the-less! :wink:

dragon1eb_260412.jpg

Wow, great pictures, Khaliphlians :)

Great crack in the road (reminded me of Dragon age I:), fearsome monster, great entries - bravo. Like we always said: if we ever wage a war against Historica, we will enslave you the last :)

Right, so i've finished what will probably be my main build for the challenge, although i do have another biggish build planned for the crystal chamber and possibly a micro thing for the aftermath/escape as well... i shall have to see how much time i have left after the chamber i guess. But anyway, here's a nice blurry shot of my just finished "entrance to turtle island" build - hope you guys like it! :classic:

turtleiswip2eb_100512.jpg

I'll be taking better photos tommorrow, before tearing this down for my chamber build. I'm a bit sad that i don't get to keep this one for a while longer, but hey ho - onward!

Edited by gabe

Snip amazing building.

And I thought you would give the others a chance by not participating :tongue:.

It looks great, I love it!

Hey all!

Sorry for my absence but LEGO time has limited of late. I am making progress with my entry but it will be touch and go whether it will be done in time.

Some great finished entries from Christoph and Erynlasgalen. I am hoping to post in the individual threads over the coming days! One thing I will say is - I am proud to have both of you in the Kaliphlin guild as both entries are fantastic!

Mikel Kalores and gabe have some great entries going on there. Can't wait to see both of them finished!

From what I am seeing so far, Challenge 3 is going to be EPIC! That's a word often overused, but I think in this case is justified.

Right, so i've finished what will probably be my main build for the challenge, although i do have another biggish build planned for the crystal chamber and possibly a micro thing for the aftermath/escape as well... i shall have to see how much time i have left after the chamber i guess. But anyway, here's a nice blurry shot of my just finished "entrance to turtle island" build - hope you guys like it! :classic:

turtleiswip2eb_100512.jpg

I'll be taking better photos tommorrow, before tearing this down for my chamber build. I'm a bit sad that i don't get to keep this one for a while longer, but hey ho - onward!

Amazing as usual Gabe!

Thanks fellas, glad to hear that you like what i've done so far! :classic: I'm entering into my final building push, which i'll prob only be breaking for the bare essentials over the next 36 hours... :wacko: I'm aiming to get everything done by Sat arvo Australian EST, cause that's when we've got bookclub (no, i haven't finished the book for this month either! :blush:) So yeah - speed building it is!

This is where i'm up to so far on the chamber containing the water crystal:

crystalchamberwip1eb_100512.jpg

About 5pm this evening

crystalchamberwip2eb_100512.jpg

About 9pm this evening

Early days hours i know, but i'm determined to have the "island" with well, water effects and wall footings in place by bedtime tonight - i can't afford to fall behind schedule now! :look:

I'm a bit worried about how this build is going to turn out actually, cause i'm trying a couple of things that i've only ever managed to do badly before... but we shall see i guess!

Sorry about the WIPspam guildies, this is the last for tonight. All the easy stuff done now, tomorrow i shall have to make some descisions about walls and the roof - i mean to have a skylight, i'm aiming for quite an atmospheric look. I may have to have a false corridor behind the doorway as well.

crystalcavernwip3eb_110512.jpg

Gabe, looking very nice! I love seeing the progression of pictures as you go along. Didn't know what to expect from the first pic, but the latest pic really starts to look good! You're really rolling along.

Am very jealous of your trans-blue plates, btw! :wub:

I did not get much building time in during the past two days, and we had to put away all of the LEGO yesterday to clean up for a school cocktail party held at our house last night. So have to pull it all out again, and get going on building! Work should be fairly light over the next two days hopefully, but unfortunately have some other stuff to do on Saturday. It's going to be really tight. I'm thinking I'll need to scale back my ambitions for this build some more. Will post another WIP pic later today.

@gabe: Looking great! Nice use of that new globe piece.

Thanks! I'm hoping that the globe piece will be visible in the end, but i'm not so sure now... anyway, it's a bit too late to be worrying about that now.

Gabe, looking very nice! I love seeing the progression of pictures as you go along. Didn't know what to expect from the first pic, but the latest pic really starts to look good! You're really rolling along.

Am very jealous of your trans-blue plates, btw! :wub:

I did not get much building time in during the past two days, and we had to put away all of the LEGO yesterday to clean up for a school cocktail party held at our house last night. So have to pull it all out again, and get going on building! Work should be fairly light over the next two days hopefully, but unfortunately have some other stuff to do on Saturday. It's going to be really tight. I'm thinking I'll need to scale back my ambitions for this build some more. Will post another WIP pic later today.

Cheers NM/Gex! Glad you are enjoying the progression and not just finding it a bit annoying. :wink: How is your build going now? Any progress pics to share? :sweet:

Speaking of progress pics, here is my next one:

crystalcavernwip4eb_110512.jpg

Back wall is up now and pillars set - now i'm thinking about the "spine" of the roof and roof arches, not forgetting the skylight of course. I'm hoping i can get most if not all of that done tonight, as tomorrow will be a somewhat broken up building day and i still need to take daylight pics as well.. :wacko:

:wacko:

You can do it, Gabe! Faster! :excited:

It is a pleasure watching you making progress so fast. I can literally feel the haste when I read your words... I like watching sports...

It looks like your building frenzy will produce a fantastic entry :thumbup:!

I wish good luck also to all other guild members (who I hope work as fast as Gabe to get their entries finished!?)

Good luck Mikel, NiceMarmot, Basiliscus, DaMaximus, and who else has some wip going... I hope you can make it!

Here's a quick update for me on my challenge 3 entry. This is going to be set deep inside the Ruins of Mägi Linnus...a free build I did a while back. Here is the battle with what everyone thought was the guardian of the crystal, an earth golem. Of course the elemental elven magic will make short work of him.

7176111538_1f1904d128.jpg

I have the other small build done for this as well, and the other guardian battle. I just need to snap some photos and wrap up the story line.

You can do it, Gabe! Faster! :excited:

It is a pleasure watching you making progress so fast. I can literally feel the haste when I read your words... I like watching sports...

Thanks Cristoph for the encouragement! :classic: I need it now i can tell you... at the moment i'm debating whether to head to bed for a few hours sleep or just stay up and keep putting on one more brick, one more plate... :wacko: We'll get there though, i am determined!

Here's a quick update for me on my challenge 3 entry.

Ooh, looks great Kayne, not one gaurdian but two? :oh: Great stuff! Can't wait to see the finished article. :thumbup:

Ok, another update on the crystal chamber - this time with a lighting test! And yay, it works! :laugh:

crystalchamberwip5eb_120512.jpg

All walls enclosed now, next is to plate between the roof beams (should bulk them up a bit more too), extend the entrance and add details and personnel to the floor. Then it should be photo time!

Woot Go Gabe :sing: You can do it, you can do it, you can do it :laugh:

In all seriousness I hope you get it finished, it would be a shame after all this effort if it missed the deadline. But at least you can always use it for a free build.

Thanks Cristoph for the encouragement! :classic: I need it now i can tell you... at the moment i'm debating whether to head to bed for a few hours sleep or just stay up and keep putting on one more brick, one more plate... :wacko: We'll get there though, i am determined!

Gabe, remember the deadline is (usually) end-of-day anywhere in the world. I basically take that to mean Hawaii time (it's close enough, and I live in California which is only a few hours different). So for me, that means I have until 12:00am HST or 3:00am US Pacific Time - an extra three hours. You, being in Australia, get nearly a full day! If you're in Sydney, you should be able to post your entry at least up until 8pm Sunday local time!

Gabe, remember the deadline is (usually) end-of-day anywhere in the world. I basically take that to mean Hawaii time (it's close enough, and I live in California which is only a few hours different). So for me, that means I have until 12:00am HST or 3:00am US Pacific Time - an extra three hours. You, being in Australia, get nearly a full day! If you're in Sydney, you should be able to post your entry at least up until 8pm Sunday local time!

Wow, that much extra time? I knew i had a bit of Sunday (Aust EST) to post but i was assuming only until about 1pm... those extra hours certainly could come in handy. (although i'm hoping i won't need them...) Thanks for letting me know Gex! :sweet:

RIght, that's me built out for the time being. Nighty night peeps! :classic:

Wow, that much extra time? I knew i had a bit of Sunday (Aust EST) to post but i was assuming only until about 1pm... those extra hours certainly could come in handy. (although i'm hoping i won't need them...) Thanks for letting me know Gex! :sweet:

We should probably get confirmation from one of the guild-leaders, but that's the way the other challenges have been run (I think).

Cheers NM/Gex! Glad you are enjoying the progression and not just finding it a bit annoying. :wink: How is your build going now? Any progress pics to share? :sweet:

Well, since you asked nicely... I just finished my primary guardian:

7178728492_fe236dbb07_z.jpg

water.crystal.wip.sand.golem

As you can see, I am definitely channeling some old-school blocky brick-built vibe.

That leaves six other sections to be built *oh2*. Plus taking photos, editing them, uploading them, and putting it all together. I'm about 2/3 way done writing the story, but have a full outline. Unfortunately, so far, it's way too wordy, so I may have to edit it down. Ugh. Plus my daughter's birthday party is tonight. I think I may have to scale back my already scaled back ambitions.

Ok I finished my entry...My link I'll try to get better pics tomorrow if I can.

Edited by Mikel Kalores