Masked Builder

Review: 5885 Triceratops Trapper

On a scale 1 to 5  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Rate This Set?

2. 2. Which Dinosaur Is Your Favorite?

Thanks for the review, but 269 pieces for $50?! :cry_sad:

You have to factor in the fact that the set has many large and intricate parts, especially the dinosaur parts. Those are probably what are driving up the cost of the set.

What don't you like about them? I really think the guy with the shades is great!

The guy with the Shades is cool, just not as cool as the guys in the HQ. :wub: But I'm not really a fan of the Rookie. :sceptic: Too generic for me.

The guy with the Shades is cool, just not as cool as the guys in the HQ. :wub: But I'm not really a fan of the Rookie. :sceptic: Too generic for me.

Oh yeah that's true. I have three already. :hmpf_bad:

Oh yeah that's true. I have three already. :hmpf_bad:

I have two of them. :sceptic: Maybe include a different head or torso.

I love that Triceratops and voted it as my favorite Dino at the top. But no way am I paying $50 for 269 pieces... :look:

Unless it was Star Wars and had some amazing figures. :wink:

OK - I'm sold on this new theme ! Many thanks for the excellent review and photographs. Now I just have to wait for these sets to get to the UK....

Dr. D.

nice review, triceratops looks great, the fig with the shades should have had the body done in yellow with the vest instead of black imo

You have to factor in the fact that the set has many large and intricate parts, especially the dinosaur parts. Those are probably what are driving up the cost of the set.

On the one hand, I get that and it makes some sense.

On the other hand, 50 dollars!! The Alien Conquest Jet-Copter Encounter has more than a hundred pieces more for $10 less, as an example. The UFO Abduction has 50 pieces or so less (but a light-up brick, I suppose!), and it's a whole $20 less. The triceratops is nice, but yeesh.

I managed to snag one of these babies for %50 off with the sales on Black Friday. It's going to be my new vehicle somewhere on the BW 2012 table.

I just need to find a way to incorporate it into the theme.

Great review!

Edited by CarrollFilms

This set was by far and away the most popular Dino set of christmas day. The triceratiops is brilliant and the "truck" has a good old fashioned tonka truck quality to it

Nice set. Anyone knows what kind of plastic are the dinosaurs made of? I know Lego uses ABS plastic but I just want to be sure. I won't be forking out extra cash for inferior goods.

Nice set. Anyone knows what kind of plastic are the dinosaurs made of? I know Lego uses ABS plastic but I just want to be sure. I won't be forking out extra cash for inferior goods.

I've read that the Coelophysis, at least, is a more rubbery material. Not that that's necessarily an inferior material-- from what I've read it's actually more expensive for TLG to produce parts in that material than to produce them in ABS.

I agree with most people. The triceratops is "tops," but a bit too expensive for my taste. The truck looks pretty durable which is good for play value, but not enough pieces for the price. The printed figures are really cool.

Good review. It definitely helps me decide on wanting to get this, but probably won't because of the price tag.

Someone who has the set could tell me what is the part# of the 1x14 Yellow Technic Brick at the end of the instruction booklet?

I'm looking for this specific number, not the one that you can find on Bricklink. Thanks in advance :wink:

I just bought this set. I wanted at least one Dino set, and this seemed like the best one to represent the theme. The pricing is not quite as ridiculous as it might seem. You don't get many pieces, but they are big pieces, and the truck is apocalyptic. It looks like something from Avatar. The triceratops is beautiful, too. I do think they should have thrown in at least one more minifig - the two guys here seem kind of lonely - and at least a little standalone plant for the trike to munch on. It would have made the set seem much more substantial and worth the price.

Now the truck is just screaming, "militarize me!!" I wonder if you could combine it with a Raptor set to build it into more of a tank.

Nice review. Not my favourite Lego line at the moment though. I never was that much of a dino fan, and the overall yellowish look, plus the huge amount of stickers some sets seem to need to give it its look, dont appeal that much to me. (Now, if instead of stickers the mix of yellow, brown and dark red pieces would be better...)

But I must admit that I do apreciate the minifigs and the quality of the (printing) of the dinos a lot.

Guess I will bricklink most of the figs, and this set... well.. its at the moment the favourite set of my eldest son, and since its his birthday in 2 weeks... I guess this set will be part of our house collection anyway.. :laugh: Specialy after showing him this review.

I just bought this set. I wanted at least one Dino set, and this seemed like the best one to represent the theme. The pricing is not quite as ridiculous as it might seem. You don't get many pieces, but they are big pieces, and the truck is apocalyptic. It looks like something from Avatar. The triceratops is beautiful, too. I do think they should have thrown in at least one more minifig - the two guys here seem kind of lonely - and at least a little standalone plant for the trike to munch on. It would have made the set seem much more substantial and worth the price.

Now the truck is just screaming, "militarize me!!" I wonder if you could combine it with a Raptor set to build it into more of a tank.

Yes I agree with you on those points. It is a good set now that I've had it for a while.

Which raptor set? The $30 one?

Nice review. Not my favourite Lego line at the moment though. I never was that much of a dino fan, and the overall yellowish look, plus the huge amount of stickers some sets seem to need to give it its look, dont appeal that much to me. (Now, if instead of stickers the mix of yellow, brown and dark red pieces would be better...)

But I must admit that I do apreciate the minifigs and the quality of the (printing) of the dinos a lot.

Guess I will bricklink most of the figs, and this set... well.. its at the moment the favourite set of my eldest son, and since its his birthday in 2 weeks... I guess this set will be part of our house collection anyway.. :laugh: Specialy after showing him this review.

Yeah, stickers aren't applied to frequently in my house. Wow, you showed this to your son? :blush: I fell very honored, glad he liked it!

Which raptor set? The $30 one?

Yep, the one with the "monster truck". It looks like it should have enough pieces to build up the back of the triceratops truck into a kind of mobile headquarters, with maybe even a turret on the top since it does have a turntable. At first sight I thought it even had the same tires as the triceratops set, which had me all excited for a six-wheeled vehicle. But I guess those aren't the right tires after all.

Sadly, I don't have very many yellow pieces except for Technic beams.

Yep, the one with the "monster truck". It looks like it should have enough pieces to build up the back of the triceratops truck into a kind of mobile headquarters, with maybe even a turret on the top since it does have a turntable. At first sight I thought it even had the same tires as the triceratops set, which had me all excited for a six-wheeled vehicle. But I guess those aren't the right tires after all.

Sadly, I don't have very many yellow pieces except for Technic beams.

Alright that one. I've got it myself, maybe I'll see what I can do. We'll see though. It does sound like it might work, but there aren't to many generic bricks in it though.

To my surprise, I found this set at my local Toys R Us earlier this week. I know it was a rare find being this is from 2 years ago and mysteriously still on the shelf all by itself. I bought it immediately. I Hope I can find more of the Dino line, but I doubt it.