technicmad

21021 Marina Bay Sands - Picture

I have changed the topic title as there is no review here, only a picture and some links.

If you'd like to post your actual review here, or deeplink all of your pictures, then I will happily change the topic title.

did you get this from Singapore or was it found elsewhere? How much did you pay for it? Can you give us the basic info as well, # pieces and such? Thanks!

I have written up a review of this new architecture set at Rebrickable and have plenty of build photos at my Bricksafe page.

Great review. Couple question. "It is a limited edition model, with sets being sold in the Hotel and neighbouring ArtScience Museum in Singapore, and selected retailers in Asia only. With only 10,000 models being produced,"

how was this found out? Cause I will be really disappointed if never coming to North America.

Also do all 10,000 come with the cd ?

Great review. Couple question. "It is a limited edition model, with sets being sold in the Hotel and neighbouring ArtScience Museum in Singapore, and selected retailers in Asia only. With only 10,000 models being produced,"

how was this found out? Cause I will be really disappointed if never coming to North America.

Also do all 10,000 come with the cd ?

That's the information that was on the CD. I was wondering if the outer box would be available to all, but if not it seems a bit extravagant just for press releases given there's only 10K of them.

Yup, it looks fantastic! Too bad it is sold out everywhere, incl. in Singapore acc to WhiteFang.

TLG seems awfully dense in making so few of this set. Have they list their marbles, or are there more on the way? Hummmm

Edited by Legogal

Yes, it looks good. But it would look even better if it made the transition like the SOH to large piece count Creator/Expert product. I could have bought this on eBay (as we all still can) but I'm not into chasing small architecture series products with large amounts of € or $. It just isn't worth it. I can't see Lego making a limited edition arch product and leaving out all of us who have faithfully collected all previous offerings in the series. I know the Architecture Studio appears to be a very limited release, but it's not an actual theme building that you can display.

I think we'll all have the opportunity to purchase it in our respective countries when all is said and done. If not, so be it......

This is over $140 on eBay already.

I hate when they pull stupid crap like this. Hopefully they give it a wide release, through shop at home, at a minimum.

10,000 is just ridiculous, I am assuming the molds were already there and these pieces are simply the same pieces you can find in many arch sets, but this is nuts, packaging and shipping sets to Singapore and select Asian retail is much like the first Cussoo Shinkai

I am guessing they would sell 5,000 in the US alone, maybe we see something in 1st Q 2014 on this I hope.

I have read more than once that Lego's secret lies in their design department. Anyone can produce bricks, now that their copyright has expired, but a few can make beautiful and economically viable set as Lego.

That is what I read. But I think Lego's secret is not in their design department, but it their human behaviour studies department. They have to have one. They play with us, customers. Every set seems to have a few pieces that are unique or almost unique to them so that those that try to "bricklink" it will have a hard time; they are very strict on the use of colors so that it is very difficult/expensive to collect the pieces that we want in the color that we want (I don't want basic green, red, yellow and blue, I want earth tones, pastel tones, etc); they like to produce "special edition" sets (like this one discussed here, the Ole Kirk's House, etc) that few will have access to so that the rest will keep wanting (or pay the expensive price of the parallel market); they have no rules about how long a set will stay on sale (see Architecture Studio, still new but sold out) and then you think you can wait a little bit more but when you realized the set is gone and you have to pay the infamous prices of the after-market (if you really want it and can afford it and is fool enough).

It is like a psychological game where they play with us, against us. They want our money and they know how to get it. I have been developing my own theory about Lego so that I can avoid their traps. Even if I am wrong, it does good to me! :classic:

The goal in business, when all else is said and done, is making a profit. If a product would/could sell 20,000 units at the same price point it could sell 10,000 units, why not go for maximum volume? After all, the average lego release isn't a pop culture status symbol (yes, like the limited edition 1,000 copies of the rose/steel Starbucks card that I just paid $465 for and is selling for well over $1000 on ebay).

I can't see where Lego, as a primary goal, would want to maximize reseller profits.

Maybe it's like the quote that was attributed to Napoleon....'never attribute to malice what is best explained by incompetency'. After all, the possibility of bankruptcy and bad business decisions isn't that far back in the rear view mirror at Lego.

PS..the Starbucks card isn't that bad of a deal. I go to starbucks everyday and the card has a $400 credit preloaded on it as part of the $465 cost. Between my wife and I, we'll burn through that by the end of March.

You bought a $400 gift card for $465 and it is being sold at ebay for $1000+.

I don't get it. What is it so special about this card?

You bought a $400 gift card for $465 and it is being sold at ebay for $1000+.

I don't get it. What is it so special about this card?

Not so much a gift card as the limited edition, stainless steel nature of it. It's something I don't fully understand, but it's no different than paying a ton of money for the gold minifig. Google Starbucks rose card and you'll see some news stories on it.

Pretty much pop culture stupidity, but it only cost me a net of $65 since it has $400 on it that I would spend anyway.

Oh ok, you spend the money and keep the collectible card.

$65 is 16% above retail value so, imo, it is fair, if you want it so much.

I am spending some money buying some retired sets and I have established the limit of up to 50% above original retail price that I will pay for a NEW set that I want so much, so I am a bigger fool than you. :classic: (not considering that these resellers certainly bought them in the best time, with some big discount...)

And considering that your card is worth $1000+, you are/were very smart actually! The sets I am buying are meant to lose money because I will open them, assemble them and so they will lose value.

Edited by Vee

I emailed the resort and I got a reply from the gift shop they are getting more sets in a couple of weeks and are prepared to ship them out by fedex when paid with a credit card. Hopefully I will get one of these I just wanted to let you know incase you want one.

It really is stupid if you think about it. Since the sets that are sold via S@H are always full retail price, TLG gets all of the profit from those sales. Unless they get some fabulous financial deal from the hotel to sell it exclusively there, they're only throwing away potential sales.