nato8181

Land Rover Defender 110 - Sheepos

The standard AA batterie box or the AAA batterie box have no limit of motors only a limit of the current.

One concern I have with this MOC, as evident in Sheepo's video, as that when shifting, the vehicle stops, then starts, as the clutches release and re-engage gears from drive shaft. Is there anyway to have a more realistic gear shifting operation - some method to make the drive wheels "free-spinning" during the shift operation?

Edited by JGW3000

The standard AA batterie box or the AAA batterie box have no limit of motors only a limit of the current.

Yes, but I am sure TLC has a limit.

Yes there is a limit but i´ve not measured it.

The Defender is driving with two XL motors and one XL motor for shifting and the steering m motor....... so there are four motors working.

About the current i think it´s between 3-4 Ah.

You don't have to measure anything. I am talking about Lego themselves having a limit on how many motors is their standard limit.

Aha, then the limit must be over seven motors with the standard box............

But i don´t know how Lego want to do this they don´t know how many motors are at the box.

For me i think they limit the current, that´s all, easy and effective.

This may be a stupid question, but why would AAA batteries be able to power more motors than AA batteries?

I am prepared to be made look a fool! :wink:

One concern I have with this MOC, as evident in Sheepo's video, as that when shifting, the vehicle stops, then starts, as the clutches release and re-engage gears from drive shaft. Is there anyway to have a more realistic gear shifting operation - some method to make the drive wheels "free-spinning" during the shift operation?

The wheels are free-spinning during shift, however the duration of the shift event is longer than it takes for the vehicle to lose its momentum. This is due to a combination of low speed and friction. If the vehicle was travelling much faster (or down a hill), you would see that it is possible for it to continue moving during the shift.

This may be a stupid question, but why would AAA batteries be able to power more motors than AA batteries?

They can't . AAA batteries have much lower current capacity than AA even though the voltage is the same. However, the AAA box is also much lighter. If you have a very, very light MOC such that the battery box is a significant portion of the total vehicle weight, the loss of weight might be more important than the loss of current. However, in most cases the AA box will perform much better.

They can't. AAA batteries have much lower current capacity than AA even though the voltage is the same. However, the AAA box is also much lighter. If you have a very, very light MOC such that the battery box is a significant portion of the total vehicle weight, the loss of weight might be more important than the loss of current. However, in most cases the AA box will perform much better.

Good to know, cheers Blakbird. I must have misread a previous poster in that case.

So what is the realistic status on Cusooo for this set? I have been waiting for this...but might have to go re-brickable if that doesn't happen.

Isn't it too big? After all previous Cuusoo sets were medium at best.

I've got no experience with it, but from what you guys say the gearbox might require some heavy fine tunning to achieve smooth working, something unsuitable for an official set. And even fixing that I don't see TLG releasing a Cuusoo set that makes their own technic flagships pale in comparision.

I'm just hoping that Lego will take this opportunity to release a super car comparable with legendary 8880 :classic: . The whole LandRover is too big for an official set but Lego should at least release a robust chassis and leave the rest to our imagination :laugh:

The next days i´ll upload some pics of my gearbox with the bands, so you can see what kind of rubber bands i use now.

I´ve spend many hours to make the gearbox ~99% reliable...... it´s a patience game.

I looked at your BrickSafe photos, but I was unable to see your changes to the transmission. Did you use non-Lego rubber bands? Any help in appreciated.

Well, everybody can buy instructions, and build one. It is probably more complex, challenging and interesting than set would be.

Well, everybody can buy instructions, and build one. It is probably more complex, challenging and interesting than set would be.

True, if Lego did release it, they would have to redesign it and dumb it down considerably which in turn would probably upset people that supported it.

I think you're better off using silicon spray than teflon spray on Lego parts. In any case, don't use WD40 as it practically melts ABS.

Ever try powdered graphite? It's awesome with metal parts but not sure how it would work with plastic.

Just a thought though, maybe this model did not pass the review because he is selling instructions and according to the Cuusoo rules, instructions are not supposed to be sold for the models. They have been pretty strict with the rules as of late. Models are disappearing from Cussoo left and right.

That is a a new rule that wasn't implemented when he released this model.

So, declining it for that reason would be a little silly.

That is a a new rule that wasn't implemented when he released this model.

So, declining it for that reason would be a little silly.

Actually it was always a rule.. I knew about it before I submitted my Vampire GT back in April 2012 which was before the Land Rover was added to Cuusoo... I just don't think they were really enforcing it as strictly as they are now...

I also don't think that is the reason why it was not given the green light... Cuusoo is geared towards smaller sets... If Sheepo's model was comprised of several hundred parts, it may have made it, but then again, it never would have gotten to 10k supports because it wouldn't have had all of the cool features that it does..

Edited by Paul Boratko

Actually it was always a rule.. I knew about it before I submitted my Vampire GT back in April 2012 which was before the Land Rover was added to Cuusoo... I just don't think they were really enforcing it as strictly as they are now...

I also don't think that is the reason why it was not given the green light... Cuusoo is geared towards smaller sets... If Sheepo's model was comprised of several hundred parts, it may have made it, but then again, it never would have gotten to 10k supports because it wouldn't have had all of the cool features that it does..

I have to agree with Paul on this one. The set is just way too big

Hi,

Since this seems to be the most active of all the threads on Sheepo's Land Rover I wanted to post my questions here:

I bought the Unimog (per Sheepo's website) to help amass a lot of the parts quicker. I did not notice until recently that the wheels I got are different than the ones pictured on the box, instructions, AND Sheepo's LandRover. The center spline or plus does NOT go all the way through the wheel like the original ones. Is this going to cause an issue when I build my Land Rover?

PS: I did not realize and was VERY disappointed when I realized that my BUILT Unimog would not run under its own power. If I knew that ahead of time I would never wasted the time building it first!

I bought the Unimog (per Sheepo's website) to help amass a lot of the parts quicker. I did not notice until recently that the wheels I got are different than the ones pictured on the box, instructions, AND Sheepo's LandRover. The center spline or plus does NOT go all the way through the wheel like the original ones. Is this going to cause an issue when I build my Land Rover?

The new wheels are shinier and have more holes than the old wheels, but there is no functional difference. I actually prefer the new ones. They will work just fine with your Defender 110.

Blackbird thank you so much for the reply!!

The functional difference I found was that the splines that hold the axle do not go all the way through the wheel. Are you sure that they will work on Land Rover? When I test fit them on a shaft, there is obviously play in the shaft because it is not being held all the way to the rear surface of the wheel.

Thanks again!