Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I'm not a big fan of fleshies but I think these new POTC sets are a definate must have

I'm not a big fan of fleshies either. But a cool trick, use a yellow sharpie to color the faces, and replace the hands with any extra yellow hands you have.

I like the little pirate mummy statue thingy.

Looks like a voodoo doll... :kahuka:

I'm not a big fan of fleshies but I think these new POTC sets are a definate must have, but I hope those prices on play.com aren't for real can anyone confirm the prices?

Only Prices I can come across are:

All USD

4195 - Queen Anne's Revenge - $119.99

4194 - Whitecap Bay - $79.99

4192 - The Fountain of Youth - $19.99

4191 - The Captain's Cabin - $10.99

Anyone have the rest in USD?

Edited by SuperBagel

Looks like there's going to be the black pearl too.

I already had it on my "wanted" list! I guess they don't want to release two ships at the same time.

Edit: Thanks, SuperBagel... looks like very reasonable prices. Seems to me that Disney values the cross promotion more than other license-ers (*cough* Lucas *cough*). Like POP, the sets seem very reasonably priced for what you're getting. I'm up for QAR and Captain's Cabin; I knew QAR would be expensive (over $100), but the cheapness of The Captain's Cabin is great.

Edited by fred67

I still don't think the ships on the bottles are stickers. I can't see these sticker edges everyone is talking about, just the ridges of the bottle.

Does Angelica have Elizabeth's hair? If so, does this mean the hats are removable? I wonder if Blackbeard's hat would be able to fit on Jack's or Elizabeth's or Gibbs' hair, or if Jack's hat and Angelica's hat can be put directly on minifig heads...

Every picture just makes me ask more question.

If all of Jack's heads are unique, does that mean we'll be able to populate the Black Pearl entirely with him?

Found the prices :sad:

Here.

The QAR looks like a reasonable price; I was expecting it to be more like 140. But 50 pounds for the London set? 72 for Whitecap Bay? Wow. Their structures aren't even that elaborate.

I still don't think the ships on the bottles are stickers. I can't see these sticker edges everyone is talking about, just the ridges of the bottle.

I think they're printed as well. Besides, I don't think Lego would be smart to give such small stickers, and on a tricky curved surface to boot.

Are the compass 1x1 tiles printed or stickers?

This line gets better with every new picture. Who knows whats hidden in the QA, maybe more surprises. BTW I love the faces of the mermaids, really creepy.

YES! JUST YES! I am a serious critic of pirates and their insane popularity right now, but THIS theme here is just awesome. Parts-wise especially!

Although I doubt I'll make an effort to actually collect POTC-sets for the sake of collecting sets I'll seriously pick up any discounted items (come that time!) and part them out for my purposes.

That antique globe is so going to become a center piece of one of my Castle-mages. Bottles! Hairpieces (even that one used for that Kylie Minogue-minifig that was shown last year!)! Even new BEARDS!

Best guess is the following: TLC is seriously trying to wear me out financially... with success!

Be well all! (And don't forget to cherish this awesome new theme!)

Cutty

Edited by Cutty

This line gets better with every new picture. Who knows whats hidden in the QA, maybe more surprises. BTW I love the faces of the mermaids, really creepy.

Where did you see the mermaid faces? I can't find them in any of the photos, except blurry ones on the box. I'm desperate to see them!

Does anyone know if it sort of lacks a top deck like Brickbeard's Bounty, or does it have a top deck like Imperial Flagship does? They maddeningly only photographed the QAR from the side and it's hard to tell.

Huh, I've yet to comment in this thread since the pictures appeared last night. Guess it slipped my mind when I was examining them closely. :pir-classic:

What's with the lady's hat on the QAR? Last time I looked, it looked like a suitable capotain. :pir-cry_happy: Also, in the London Escape set, there's a 2x2 tile on the wall with a printed(?) ship painting! :pir-classic:

As for the lack of fleshie free torsos, I am slightly disappointed, but it looks like I'll get to try out the yellow sharpie trick, or change all my pirates to fleshies to go along with it.

Great nonetheless, and I have already begun to save up cash to pay for a POTC set shopping trip. :pir-laugh:

Great sets! Thankfully i'm slightly underwhelmed by most of them which may save me some money!

Some great hairpieces though and I love the QAR. If the prices are right i could be tempted.

Yes so the tricorns are printed! :pir_laugh2: Army builders on you marks! ... Get set! ... GO!

I like what I see. Some sets seem redundant though; if it wasn't for the Dutchman crew guy and the guy in a blue coat in the mill set, there really is no reason to buy it. I think it's the weakest set in the line.

From what I'm seeing in the event photos, the bottles look great and the gold bars are 2 X 1 with openings for studs on the bottom as this picture shows:

Note the gold bar on the blue

Pirate, castle, and steampunk builders rejoice! this is our year! :pir-grin:

This is exciting - I'm not usually a huge pirate fan, but this set has me very ready to go shovel money into LEGO Corporation's pockets. :)

I'm surprized that no one has commented on the new bag piece in Cannibal Escape. In the cave is a tan bag that can be neck mounted on a minifig. There is also a bottle barely visible. I'm wondering if it has the East India Trading Company symbol printed on it. That would be great.

As for the lack of fleshie free torsos, I am slightly disappointed, but it looks like I'll get to try out the yellow sharpie trick, or change all my pirates to fleshies to go along with it.

I'm definitely not switching to flesh. I'd have to abandon my yellow pirate torsos for flesh pirate torsos, and there aren't enough generic flesh pirate torsos in this range so far.

There were about five pirate torsos in 2009, and two soldier torsos... but now there are two new eligible soldier torsos. That makes things more even. I personally don't believe in sharpie disfigurement.

I'd also have trouble finding enough flesh heads to fill my pirate and soldier ranks. I just finished my armies last night, and have 12 pirates with unique heads, 18 soldiers with unique heads and five women with unique heads and torsos. 35 unique minifigs altogether in my pirate theme. I'd never be able to do that with fleshies. I have a hard enough time making more than six 'enemy soldiers' for my Indy theme.

I'm surprized that no one has commented on the new bag piece in Cannibal Escape. In the cave is a tan bag that can be neck mounted on a minifig. There is also a bottle barely visible. I'm wondering if it has the East India Trading Company symbol printed on it. That would be great.

I saw that, but thought it was the same bag in various new police sets... but you're right, this one is tan and that one is dark tan.

Edited by David Thomsen

I'm surprized that no one has commented on the new bag piece in Cannibal Escape. In the cave is a tan bag that can be neck mounted on a minifig.

That bag is introduced in this year's City Police sets.

When im writing this im actually lost of words. I think these sets are gone and quickly when they hit on the stores. Its gonna be a tight race of these sets now. Love every inch of them and we see a new redcoat officer torso also. :pir-wub: Have to get those for my army. All i can say is: I cant wait anymore. I just cant wait.

Captain Becker

So from that event picture gallery it is clear that the globe is a new piece with a slit to fit on a sword. Glad that one is finally settled.

Much like PoP, almost every single one of these sets look splendid. Really the only one that doesn't seem too enthralling to me is the Mill, just because it isn't much of an interesting building, though Conchman is wonderful.

I don't really understand where the 'looks sparse' comments have come from either. I suppose the complaint that the QAR doesn't have enough figures, though it does have two exclusive to it, but some of the other sets certainly make up for that. Whitecap Bay looks like an excellent value with a full building and a whole bunch of figures exclusive to that set.

The only downside of it all is that so many lovely sets are certain to break the bank, but even without buying the larger sets there is a boatload of new figures, accessories, and parts to have.

I do not think that any of the hat and hair combos are separable. Looking at the close-ups, Angelica's hair under the hat is not quite the same as the Elizabeth hair, and the Sparrow hat with hair is a different piece than the hair with bandanna. At least the lovely Blackbeard hat is a separate piece from the hair; that one is great!

Found the prices :sad:

Here.

Just gonna throw this out there... I have a US address (APO) and a German address so I can order to either country's address and it gets delivered in Europe so you can bet your lucky stars I'll be ordering to whichever address is cheaper, and I'm cool with ordering and remailing within the EU if the cost is worth it to you. Also good for regional exclusives... If this line ends up having regional exclusives I'll order and reship for just the cost of reshipping.. To fellow eurobrickers I'll do it at cost

So from that event picture gallery it is clear that the globe is a new piece with a slit to fit on a sword. Glad that one is finally settled.

The piece, actually pieces, isn't really new. But this is the first time it comes in a different color than trans clear.