Sign in to follow this  
PixelDude

A Pirate Knitting

:pir_laugh2: The idea is very funny! This is one of the most stupid things a pirate could do in peace time :pir-sweet:

The MOC could be a little bit better though. The pirate is holding 'real' knitting sticks (instead of lego ones) while the challenge is to make everything from lego. The island is also quite simple. Try to make it of bricks, more curved bricks and tiles. And maybe put some more things on the island (like animals; krabs or fishes)

I think if you add those things, it will be a great entry. The idea is already very funny, so then it'll certainly have a change to win :pir-wink:

This is a clever entry, my friend! :thumbup: Yet there are still improvements to be made. Although you have a spectacular idea here, you missed a chance with the island: just a dark tan brick with a rock and tree? Instead, I suggest using light tan plates to give it texture and make it look like sand, with some teal here and there (as waves). In fact, you might want to change the water into SNOT form and use ledges to build the little island. The pirate's seat is okay, but it would look a lot better with some tiles and a few cheese slopes. The venerable Admiral is right: some crabs, plants, campfire, etc. would go a long way. By the way, I think you're alright with the knitting sticks - those are white lightsaber blades, right? :pir-sweet:

I agree with what Adam said, and I think that this is quite clever as well. :pir-classic:

Another suggestion would be to make the island base itself not look like a square. You might want to add some rounded and slope bricks to it to make it a little more natural-looking. A brick like this 4x4 Corner Round Plate would do the trick.

Edited by Bricknave

Oooh this idea is great! I love it. The only thing I don't like is the shape of the island. It just one big square brick. I believe it woul look better if you used small bricks and plates to create a island which is naturay shaped and not so flat. I don't mind the studded water. To me the studs represent waves.

~Badboy

This is a great idea. I really like the one plam tree and the kntting pirate looks fantastic.

Suggestions

-Add some plates and tan slopes around the island because the square island jutting out of the water isn't as realistic.

-More small plants and rocks on the island would add some nice detail

-Add a couple of slopes to the water or small white tiles for waves

-A couple of weapons or a telescope and maybe even a small fire would show that the pirate has been marooned and is desperately bored.

I actually think that this entry would work better in the small category because then you could focus better on the knitting. I think that a plate some pirate accessories and maybe some cats would work better than trying to make it a medium entry.

Good luck in the contest though, this is one hilariously peaceful idea. :pir_laugh2:

The first time I saw this MOC, I laughed for a good few minutes, which was a welcome escape from piles of work. To me, that is the genius behind this creation, as it is intentionally silly and beautifully simplistic. My favorite part has got to be the monkey holding the yarn (even though I don't particularly like the red plate on his stomach). However, I do think that this small island could do with a little more on it and possibly something making it less square. I think this could easily be made a little larger (pieces providing, of course) and would look quite nice with some more rocks, shrubs, trees and the like. Overall a nice little MOC and quite useful when you're in need of a good laugh.

A simple MOC, I like it. But since it's so simple, I think [like some others] that it'd work so much better as a small entry. That way you could really focus in on the knitting. Right now the open space is getting to me; it seems so bare.

By cutting it down to an 8x8, you can keep the simplicity without making it look boring. You could potentially just put it on a 8x8 blue plate and then add on some tan slopes and plates to keep the island feel [although the tree would take quite a lot of space then :pir_wacko: ]

The idea is unique, and it's pretty cute. The monkey is laying down on a... red stud? Could you make that brown or green to hide it?

The photo with the clutter of A4 White Paper is a bit distracting...

I highly highly recommend investing in some large White Posterboard, you get a much cleaner photo.

The angle is also a little bit high, it's hard to make out much of the minifig.

Good luck in the voting!

[-TA-]

As someone suggested, it would fit your story/idea better if you tried to present it with more details.

Here's a great MOC witht the same kind of island that you probably had in mind:

(by Matn)

3551579960_5f464eb132.jpg

Of course you shouldn't build a shipwreck, but the actual sandy island could give you an idea.

My favourite part of your MOC is the monkey holding the pirate's yarn. I love it. This MOC could become a favourite in the contest if you worked some more detail into it, because the whole idea of knitting and the monkey helping him, is excellent.

Edited by Lorentzen

Are you still entering this as a medium creation? I would size the island way down, ad the palmtree some cats (like someone else said before) instead of the crocodile and I would enter the small devision. Don't get me wrong, the idea is brilliant, could even be a winner but not in the medium devision. Since I believe the voters expect more from a medium devision entry than you are offering us. (Omg this does sound somewhat mean, I found it hard to find the correct words, and I'm not sure the message I'm trying to send is clear...)

Looking good!

By the way, we prefer if you just update your original thread, instead of creating a new one each time. I'll merge these and update your first post :pir-wink:

Are you still entering this as a medium creation? I would size the island way down, ad the palmtree some cats (like someone else said before) instead of the crocodile and I would enter the small devision. Don't get me wrong, the idea is brilliant, could even be a winner but not in the medium devision. Since I believe the voters expect more from a medium devision entry than you are offering us. (Omg this does sound somewhat mean, I found it hard to find the correct words, and I'm not sure the message I'm trying to send is clear...)

I guess what you're saying is that the level of detail in this one could be condensed to the size of a Small Category, and thus would probably fare better in the eyes of the voters.

I can't believe I still haven't commented on this one... Great concept PixelDude! However, I do feel that you need to follow the advice of fellow EB members and downsize this one, entering it into the Small Category so that viewers can concetrate on your simple yet wonderful idea. The way it is now, there is too much room which is left unused and I think you're trying to fill it up by adding things that are not necessarily related to your wonderful idea - in this case, a crocodile. Unless that pirate figures out a way to get his knitting threads out of that poor ol croc, I say lose the green animal :pir-classic: I'm not saying filling up space is a bad idea, I just think you don't need to expand this one - on the contrary, concentrating on just this one idea you've come up with would make for a much more hilarious entry.

One more thing I would suggest is replacing the rock that this pirate sits on with a custom-built chair. I believe it would add a very funny look to an abandoned small island in the middle of the sea - especially when combined with this guy's relaxed hobby!

Eh not much of a change. The island is still nearly symmetrical and doesn't seem natural. It's better though. The alligator just seems like a way to cover the new empty space. The monkey is still held by a red brick :pir-sceptic:, try changing that if you can. The background is a bit better, but posterboard would really help.

I still think that it would be better if you cut down the base to an 8x8 and entered in the small division. You're just diverting away from the attention the unique knitting Pirate.

Hope to see more changes for the better.

Good Luck!

[-TA-]

I was actually quite loooking forward to seeing an update of this, PixelDude... Are you still making one?

:pir_laugh2: Looks so funny- maybe he is marooned.... not very many times remembered fact:

"When pirate is marooned he is given knitting sticks and lots of yarn- as manly man they of course aren't using them- but after three weeks with absolutely nothing to do -knitting starts to look really interesting..." :pir-tongue: