Selander

MOC: Swedish T44 PF loco with remote decoupling

Hello everybody,

here are my latest creations, two (almost similar) Swedish T44 Diesel locomotives.

Base measures 8wide x L32studs, and body contains:

-A medium PF motor in the rear compartment, that powers a decoupling system in rear boggie.

-IR receiver in drivers cab.

-Std PF battery box in the front compartment.

-A std PF train motor takes care of propulsion.

One channel on PF controller is used for decoupling, and the other channel is used for running the PF train motor.

Coulor scheme is the former standard of SJ (Swedish state railways) as: Orange / White stripe / DkBlue top.

T44 is (still) the most common freight diesel locomotive in Sweden and was originally built in 123 units.

15691799889_2da625bc07_z_d.jpg

I made two units with same mechanics but slightly different detailing.

15255551804_a201e08a16_z_d.jpg

15690302088_7e169ae6e3_z_d.jpg

I made several different designs for remote decoupling, but this one is more or less borrowed from Baard, which in turn was inspired by my previous attempts.

The mini LA (linear actuator) moves the magnet in and out, thus separating the loco magnet from wagon magnet for a remote controlled shunting.

Any comments are welcome as usual.

Really nice idea! Now you could do shunting at Lego shows instead of the normal trains running on a loop all the time; I'd definitely be interested to see this engine shunting some wagons :classic:

I think this de coupling idea is very good! I for sure will use this in the British Rail Class 8 when I get round to building one 8 wide. Do you have pictures showing more build details you would like to share>?

Edited by garethjellis

I'd love to have the knowledge to build these decoupling units into a couple of my shunters, it is so clever but I just cannot figure it out. I have looked at some diagrams but not being familiar with technic stuff i am not sure what many of the parts are, or are from. I think I'd need one in the flesh so as to speak to actually see how it goes together and works. I do really like the engines though, just wish I could could have this.

I'd love to have the knowledge to build these decoupling units into a couple of my shunters, it is so clever but I just cannot figure it out. I have looked at some diagrams but not being familiar with technic stuff i am not sure what many of the parts are, or are from. I think I'd need one in the flesh so as to speak to actually see how it goes together and works. I do really like the engines though, just wish I could could have this.

Thanks !!

IMHO it only requires basic technic lego skills so I am pretty sure you would succeed if giving it a try. Study my picture and especially those from Baard. See earlier thread here "Decoupler bogie" and his Flickr.

Also if you send a PM to me, I can take and send you a photo from a handwritten technical sketch I made , with a basic part list. I am certain it will give you a good idea how it is made, but beware it is NOT a tutorial, and still require some trial-and-error from your side.

16 hours ago, McWaffel said:

Please make a video of the decoupling mechanism in action! I would LOVE to see it! Amazing job :wub:

Hi

Video can be found here. Mechanism built into the bogie in the Cargo loco from Lego:

www.flickr.com/photos/115097068@N03/12108429763/

If you look around my Flickr you can also see a similar mechanism in a Class 8 shunter and my take on the Norwegian Diesel shunter Skd 226. At the very bottom I have also put a parts list for the bogie if you want to build it yourself as well as Pictures that should explain the features quite clearly. Thanks to Selander for the initial inspiration to develop my take on the mechanism.