Eilif

MOC: Gazebo with Jazz Combo

I appologize for my long absence (though it will likely not be the last) I'm back with the latest addition to the town of Brickington!

Previously the only live music in Brickington was the transient musician with his Brickforge guitar and top hat for collecting change. Now with the Tourism booming, the Island has begun to attract musical guests, including the Stud Circle Trio. This talented trio often uses their concerts to promote social awareness.

The Gazebo itself.

gazebo.jpg

Close up. Showing the band and some of the ornamentation.

gazebo_close.jpg

The roof with owl.

gazebo_roof.jpg

Drum set front.

drum_set.jpg

Drum set rear.

drum_set_rear.jpg

Doublebass. This is a mod of a another user's design. I think it was slyowl, but it's been a while and I'm not totaly sure. It's a very effective design, but to get the most out of it, you need to elevate the minifig on a 1x2 plate.

doublebass.jpg

Rear of doublebass. Eventually I'll replace the tan scroll with a brown one.

doublebass_back.jpg

Overall, I'm quite happy with it. It is usually placed on the beach just back from the seashore and it adds alot of visual interest to the coastline. Next steps will probably be to add a wide boardwalk with seating. Hopefully that will draw the visitors eye to the scene as I've noticed that many folks who come to our shows completely miss the fact that there is a band in the gazebo.

Hope you enjoy it!

Great MOC! The gazebo is great, but I particularly like the instruments, they're excellent. :classic:

Very well done. :thumbup:

~buddy~

A great gazebo and AWESOME drum and bass 'Eilif', with excellent use of SNOT on the bass too ! :grin:

Fantastic job there and Brick On 'Eilif' ! :grin:

Lovely, simply lovely...:wub: The design and color scheme of the gazeebo is just beautifully-made, as is the brickbuilt instruments (drums and doublebass). Truly outstanding work Eifil, what an amazing way to make up for your absence! :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words folks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Being that my town is based around 16x16 modular buildings, I rarely get a chance to build on angles. This gave me more headaches than usual, but I think the results were worth it.

Bonus points to anyone who can explain the name of the musical group...

This is a great MOC, full of character and well executed. Hopefully if you provide an audience for the band then people viewing will appreciate that the building contains something worth investigating further.

Bonus points to anyone who can explain the name of the musical group...

Now I am thinking that the Stud Circle Trio might refer to the way you have made the side fences? As they are comprised of a trio of yellow 1x1 round bricks underneath a 1x4 short fence, with the centre yellow brick inside a 2x2 round plate (the stud circle)?

Now I am thinking that the Stud Circle Trio might refer to the way you have made the side fences? As they are comprised of a trio of yellow 1x1 round bricks underneath a 1x4 short fence, with the centre yellow brick inside a 2x2 round plate (the stud circle)?

Wow, that's a really well thought-out explaination, but not the right one.

Hint: Stud Circle does refer to the fact that a stud is a circle, but the double meaning honors someone related to the band's mission.

I love this. the Gazebo looks amazing. and the upright bass looks awesome as well. the only real problem that I have with this is the drum set, and its not a bad thing yours looks good, but as a Drummer myself and my massive OCD I think I would have made the cymbals and stands differently and added another tom on the right side of him for his floor tom. Again this is nothing more than me being a musician and trust me I know how hard it is to make a drum set out of legos, I have a couple laying around the house I might end up stealing your Pedal design for if you don't mind. but really that's the only things I see that I would change everything else looks fantastic and the drums look good too don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to upset you just inform you From a drummer to a Good Lego MOCer. :D

Edited by Syn

Thanks Syn,

I totally share your pain. I play in bands (bassist) and the limitations to making a drum set without taking up too much space really annoyed me. I've seen some MOCs of complete kits, and they all seem to dwarf the drummer. I really wanted a small jazz trap, but I couldn't find a good way to get even a rack tom in, much less a floor tom. It was another annoyance that I couldn't figure a good way to make tripod stands.

If you figure a way to solve any of these issues , by all means please post it and let me know. My MOC's are by no means unmodifiable and EB is a great way to find ways to improve them.

The only saving grace is that I've played several low key acoustic gigs with a drummer playing just such a kit and it didn't sound bad.

Thanks Syn,

I totally share your pain. I play in bands (bassist) and the limitations to making a drum set without taking up too much space really annoyed me. I've seen some MOCs of complete kits, and they all seem to dwarf the drummer. I really wanted a small jazz trap, but I couldn't find a good way to get even a rack tom in, much less a floor tom. It was another annoyance that I couldn't figure a good way to make tripod stands.

If you figure a way to solve any of these issues , by all means please post it and let me know. My MOC's are by no means unmodifiable and EB is a great way to find ways to improve them.

The only saving grace is that I've played several low key acoustic gigs with a drummer playing just such a kit and it didn't sound bad.

I'll see if I can put something together for you within the next couple of days! and I used to play in a Jazz band man that was so much fun I love good jazz always have always will. I've been trying to get in to a jazz band again and start playing, seems like a waste getting all that nice equipment I have and never using it other than to practice.

but you have to remember most floor toms are on average around 18". Some kits come with a 20", well most Kick Drum's are around 18"-22" (I prefer 22" but that's a whole other story for another time lol that convo can go for days) so I would just use the same thing you used for the kick on the right side of him maybe raised up on some, Round Single Stud Gray. But again I'll try to put something together and show you!

Great work! The gazebo is very well designed, the instruments are fantastic. :thumbup:

Magic! I'm in love with those instruments. Getting drums to look good is always a problem, but I do think you made a nice compromise; it's not like you could comfortably fit an entire kit in a real gazebo of this size either.

I bet that gazebo looks wonderful in the town.