jodawill

Modulex bricks are coming back!

Update!

Hi Tracy. Thank you for your reply and link to BrickLink. We can understand that there are some concerns about Modulex Bricks being relaunched. Especially concerning colours and marking. We would like to make it clear that Modulex Bricks A/S does not have any intentions to "compete" with the original Modulex setup, which is so highly valued by all Modulex enthusiasts. Having said that, we cannot tell what colours are being launched. This have not been decided yet... But in relation to use the same colours, it is hard for us to avoid White, Black and Transparent  In general, we are relaunching the Modulex Brick because it became possible to acquire the original moulds and it would be a shame not to take this opportunity to reproduce such an excellent Brick. We truly appreciate your input to Modulex Bricks A/S. It is your and other Modulex enthusiasts input that will have an influence on the new Modulex Bricks setup. Thank you.

Hi Josh Williams. Modulex Bricks are coming back simply because The Mx Brick are genius and it would be a shame to put this excellent product in the grave for good. We cannot tell you at this time what parts will be available. Modulex Bricks A/S is very interested in the opinion of all Modulex Brick enthusiasts: What would be interesting to relaunch, which colours would be the best etc. We have now registered that you would like to see Modulex Minifigs and Themes.

I asked for an answer and now I have it.

Thank you jodawill :thumbup:

Edited by grum64

Seems good. I have a very small no of Modulex bricks that I got off Bricklink more out of curiosity than anything else. they do seem nice and I appreciate that they are a different ratio to normal LEGO brick. It would however be really good if they could produce a few Modulex Bricks that enabled them to interact with normal LEGO bricks, I think I would buy more of them then.

Thinking about this, will they be considered a clone brand and shunned by most people or does the somewhat ancient connextion to real LEGO make them acceptable in most LEGO collectors eyes? What do people think?

Seems good. I have a very small no of Modulex bricks that I got off Bricklink more out of curiosity than anything else. they do seem nice and I appreciate that they are a different ratio to normal LEGO brick. It would however be really good if they could produce a few Modulex Bricks that enabled them to interact with normal LEGO bricks, I think I would buy more of them then.

Thinking about this, will they be considered a clone brand and shunned by most people or does the somewhat ancient connextion to real LEGO make them acceptable in most LEGO collectors eyes? What do people think?

Since it started as an official Lego product, I think Modulex is ok. These molds were designed by TLG, and this is a product TLG no longer offers.

I am thrilled for this on two reasons.

1. Modulex bricks are classic, and you should have a small handful of them if for no reason other than to show your minifigs playing with them. :classic:

2. Before this, LEGO has always kept their licenses very close, even if not in current use(Like with Modulex). This release shows that they are willing to be flexible, which gives a tiny, tiny ray of hope that someday LU may be picked up again by another studio*. Granted, Modulex was sort of a separate company, but the point still stands.

*Before you counter that it was a failure, it was only a failure by LEGO standards(e.g., extremely high return on all investments.). MMOGs have a vastly different set of standards, and LU was actually a huge success. And that's in terms of paying customers, not in terms of players. If LEGO had understood the financial needs of an MMOG a little bit better, and had better allocated investments(e.g., not paid huge sums out for a moderating system that didn't really work out in any of the areas it tried to reach), we would still be playing it today. Heck, a few more Ninjago updates, and we'd have reached LEGO standards, with the success of that line.

It looks like their machine wastes about as much plastic as it uses for the bricks. Is that normal?

This isn't unusual for injection molding several pieces with one mold. This is essentially the same situation as the plastic model kits where you had to detach the pieces from a frame, except all the pieces (i.e. bricks) are already separated.

It should be noted that the machine does not "waste" the plastic. What you see can be ground-up, melted down and injected into a new mold.

I am thrilled for this on two reasons.

1. Modulex bricks are classic, and you should have a small handful of them if for no reason other than to show your minifigs playing with them. :classic:

2. Before this, LEGO has always kept their licenses very close, even if not in current use(Like with Modulex). This release shows that they are willing to be flexible, which gives a tiny, tiny ray of hope that someday LU may be picked up again by another studio*. Granted, Modulex was sort of a separate company, but the point still stands.

*Before you counter that it was a failure, it was only a failure by LEGO standards(e.g., extremely high return on all investments.). MMOGs have a vastly different set of standards, and LU was actually a huge success. And that's in terms of paying customers, not in terms of players. If LEGO had understood the financial needs of an MMOG a little bit better, and had better allocated investments(e.g., not paid huge sums out for a moderating system that didn't really work out in any of the areas it tried to reach), we would still be playing it today. Heck, a few more Ninjago updates, and we'd have reached LEGO standards, with the success of that line.

TLG doesn't actually own anything related to Modulex. Modulex is a completely separate corporation. As I understand it, they evolved into a road sign company in Denmark.

This isn't unusual for injection molding several pieces with one mold. This is essentially the same situation as the plastic model kits where you had to detach the pieces from a frame, except all the pieces (i.e. bricks) are already separated.

Do Lego parts have this much extra material left over? I don't remember seeing them spit this stuff out in the documentaries I've seen.

Modulex is for the young crowd...too small for most older folks to see and put together.

But you can make some very cool things in great detail with them due to their tiny size.

And they are quite expensive to make anything large enough to really see. I still like them even though I can't build with them.

Hopefully this will lower their high prices.

My primary school had a few modulex bricks, in the lego bucket. I was always amazed by the novelty of their tiny size.

In the photo on this twitter post, it looks like they are using original molds! They are clearly not new.

https://twitter.com/ModulexBricks/status/504264049903669248?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=ModulexBricks&utm_content=504264049903669248

How on earth does one grind a square shoulder ito the corner of a steel mold :wacko: Brilliant metalwork!

It looks like their machine wastes about as much plastic as it uses for the bricks. Is that normal?

It is normal, but it's not really wasted, as the plastic can be re-melted and made into more pieces.

It is normal, but it's not really wasted, as the plastic can be re-melted and made into more pieces.

That. LEGO also does this in their factories, all the spurs are separated after ejecting from the mold, chopped up, and reintroduced into raw plastic with the dyes. You may have seen something like it in one of the Megafactories episode.

Those molds were most likely made using Electrochemical Machining.

Thanks for the link, I'd never heard of Electromechanical Machining.

I reckon you're right, it would explain the extremely high costs of lego molds we hear of.

Do you know

- when the Modulex people are planning to start mass production?

- if they intend to sell only bulk bricks oder even some kind of sets?

- if they are planning to sell online only, or maybe Modulex will be available in (whatever) stores?

Do you know

- when the Modulex people are planning to start mass production?

- if they intend to sell only bulk bricks oder even some kind of sets?

- if they are planning to sell online only, or maybe Modulex will be available in (whatever) stores?

1) No date has been set yet because the bricks are still being quality tested.

2) I'm not sure if it's been decided yet, but I think they'll probably have both bulk bricks and starter kits.

3) They will only be sold online.

I've heard recently that LEGO has bought the Modulex company and taken it back into their overall control. I wonder if that will put a stop to it.

Modulex company was bought by LEGO Juris, which is part of LEGO which (among other things) takes care about legal rights and trademarks. Unfortunately that means an end to any new modulex projects and bricks (LEGO Juris certainly does not produce bricks). TLG basicily wants to keep the rights to the company for historical reasons.

Please see official stamement here:

"We are pleased to tell that LEGO Juris A/S has acquired Modulex bricks in a mutual agreement. It has been important for the LEGO Group owner family to ensure historic rights stay within the owner family. The potential to produce Modulex bricks has also been addressed and there are no plans to manufacture Modulex bricks in the near future.

Thanks for your interest in Modulex and for joining this Facebook page!"