somelegothings_

Jurassic World 2015 Rumors & Discussion

Maybe we still have a chance at a truly spectacular pre-order bonus. Didn't game stop give out a spiderman Keychain for the marvel game and didn't Walmart give out a mini tumbler polybag as a gift? Maybe this time it's walmarts' turn for the exclusive figure and this polybag is just going to be released later on (like the mini tumbler)

I am really upset there are no herbivore sets, nor structures based upon locations in the film. I really would have liked at least one semi film accurate building set.

I hope the JW theme is successful so we get more in the future.

Thanks again to Hoth Bricks!

30320 Gallimimus Trap

16782038507_d616d290e3_z.jpg

This is apparently the pre-order item for those buying the Jurassic World Video Game from Gamestop. Although it's not John Hammond, it's still a nice polybag--even though the "Gallimimus" really doesn't look like a Gallimimus; at least from movie standards. I especially like how the site notes that the "Gallimimus doesn't have a single tooth in it's entire mouth." :grin: Do your homework Lego!

That is NOT a Gallimimus, pure laziness on their part by calling one. Hell, they didn't even try to give it an appropriate paint app. They should have just called it a Compsognathus and ran with that.

I would expect a mistake like this from other toy companies, but not lego. Weird.

I echo the sentiments of others, that is so far away from Gallimimus it is unbelievable. From my palaeontological knowledge, Gallimimus literally means "bird mimic" or "chicken mimic" (I've heard both used) and has a toothless bird-like beak and feathers (it would never have been coloured like that?). The only plus point I can think of is the Coelophysis mould is pretty much on minifigure scale for the size of a Gallimimus (the mould was far too large for the former anyway), but otherwise looks almost nothing like it. While Gallimimus was indeed omnivorous, it'd struggle to eat the turkey leg left for it in the trap with no teeth, would it not?

Geeky rant over :tongue: At least now we know the origin of that elusive mould. I'll still be trying to get hold of this polybag (I won't consider it a Gallimimus though, no way), even if it means pre-ordering the game then selling the game on (I don't have any of the games consoles it's available on), however I'm concerned that this won't become available in the UK. Has all other pre-order bonuses become available in the UK one way or another? I can't remember as I don't normally pay attention to these things for many reasons.

That is NOT a Gallimimus, pure laziness on their part by calling one. Hell, they didn't even try to give it an appropriate paint app. They should have just called it a Compsognathus and ran with that.

Ha ha, maybe they should have. Except that Compsognathus is even smaller than Coelophysis. But even that would have been more accurate than passing the mould off as a Gallimimus :laugh:

Yeah it looks really bad if you compare it to the game Gallimimus.

I have to say, I'm confused that this smaller mold was used for the Gallimimus rather than the Dilophosaurus. I mean the Dilophosaurus (movie version) is way smaller than the raptor mold it uses is, and I think it would have worked better to use the smaller scale.

Really, they should have just swapped the body types of the two Dinos to get a more accurate scale. Although it may have been done this way to improve the desire for the Dilophosaurus set--if it included a tiny dinosaur it would be hard to justify the price. Plus they could not make this polybag with a raptor sized dino included.

Yeah it looks really bad if you compare it to the game Gallimimus.

I have to say, I'm confused that this smaller mold was used for the Gallimimus rather than the Dilophosaurus. I mean the Dilophosaurus (movie version) is way smaller than the raptor mold it uses is, and I think it would have worked better to use the smaller scale.

Really, they should have just swapped the body types of the two Dinos to get a more accurate scale. Although it may have been done this way to improve the desire for the Dilophosaurus set--if it included a tiny dinosaur it would be hard to justify the price. Plus they could not make this polybag with a raptor sized dino included.

While the Dilophosaurus was originally intended to be that small, some speculated it could have been a juvenile. It seems they went that route, and the Dilo's in JW will be a larger animal.

That, or they will be just as small, but the larger dino was better for the set.

Gamestop = Velociraptor pre-order

Target = Dr. Henry Wu pre-order

Now which will be the preorder for best buy, Toys R US, and Wal Mart?

I hope it is a polybag that features any random characters from Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and Jurassic Park III since Henry Wu is actually first appeared in the first film then he returns in Jurassic World. And not a keychain as a preorder.TM

Edited by legofanatic12

What are the chances of there being Polybags sold at stores? Considering the Raptor Escape set and preorder sets weren't shown at Toy Fair I'm hoping for another surprise or two.

Also, don't forget.. apparently a classic JP Jeep was shown off behind closed doors.

WTF? That's most definitely not a Gallimimus.

That's pretty lazy...

It seems even LEGO doesn't have interest in this theme. That was like whatever.... :sceptic:

What are the chances of there being Polybags sold at stores? Considering the Raptor Escape set and preorder sets weren't shown at Toy Fair I'm hoping for another surprise or two.

If you're talking about the Gallimimus polybag (I want to refuse to call it that :tongue: ), then it's extremely unlikely that it will be sold at retail (outside being a pre-order). But who knows, there might be another more generic JW poly coming. We normally don't know of their existence until a retailer publishes them on their website, or they're found in stores, or if LEGO puts up their instructions (which you can see via Brickset as it automatically trawls LEGO's instructions cache for new instructions, usually every 24 hours or so). You never see polybags or retailer exclusives at Toy Fairs by the way :wink:

Anyway, I hope the polybag with the dinosaur does become available in the UK one way or another. I'd hate to miss out on it, major inaccuracies aside.

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

The preorder for Gamestop should be a free minifigure like Henry Wu preorder.

Perhaps, the Henry Wu minifig has a nice torso that will be good for customizing.

Edited by legofanatic12

Ugh, LEGO really should have made more molds for this theme. DINO got... at least 20 new molds, and presumably didn't sell as well as a line that could justify that (BIONICLE, City, NINJAGO, etc), yet the only new molds for this line I can think of off of the top of my head is the Dilophosaurus head, Indominous Rex and the Gyro Sphere. Most of the sets are really cool, but I'm going to be super annoyed if the movie version of the Dilo is smaller than what it is in the sets.

Edit: At least 25 new molds for DINO. Approximately 12 for Jurassic World. 24 of DINO's 25 are for dinosaurs, one is for the tranq. gun that has been used in other lines. Jurassic World has 8 for the I. Rex alone, one for the Dilophosaurus, one for the raptor cams, and the remaining two on the Gyrospeheres, and one of those two pieces I'm not entirely sure were introduced for the Gyrospheres. That's pretty bad for a line geared towards a blockbuster movie franchise in comparison to an in-house line that had very little attention and didn't last very long.

Edited by Mandate

Ugh, LEGO really should have made more molds for this theme. DINO got... at least 20 new molds, and presumably didn't sell as well as a line that could justify that (BIONICLE, City, NINJAGO, etc), yet the only new molds for this line I can think of off of the top of my head is the Dilophosaurus head, Indominous Rex and the Gyro Sphere. Most of the sets are really cool, but I'm going to be super annoyed if the movie version of the Dilo is smaller than what it is in the sets.

Edit: At least 25 new molds for DINO. Approximately 12 for Jurassic World. 24 of DINO's 25 are for dinosaurs, one is for the tranq. gun that has been used in other lines. Jurassic World has 8 for the I. Rex alone, one for the Dilophosaurus, one for the raptor cams, and the remaining two on the Gyrospeheres, and one of those two pieces I'm not entirely sure were introduced for the Gyrospheres. That's pretty bad for a line geared towards a blockbuster movie franchise in comparison to an in-house line that had very little attention and didn't last very long.

Yeah, I won't lie.. the sets look nice, but rather phoned in. I expected a little more.

At least they aren't super low quality like the Hasbro offerings, which overall are awful.

I agree that we deserve more molds for this line but I think LEGO kind of just pulled a "We need a small polybag set that comes with preorders, what should it be?" "How about a little raptor type thing? Kids think raptors are cool!" "Yeah but what do we call it?" *Checks Jurassic World Website* "How about Gallimimus? It shows a small dinosaur that runs fast." "That'll work."

I agree that we deserve more molds for this line but I think LEGO kind of just pulled a "We need a small polybag set that comes with preorders, what should it be?" "How about a little raptor type thing? Kids think raptors are cool!" "Yeah but what do we call it?" *Checks Jurassic World Website* "How about Gallimimus? It shows a small dinosaur that runs fast." "That'll work."

I'm almost positive that's what they did.

Wow lego, you can't even tell an ornithomimid from a coelophysis, even a little kid could tell the difference.

Also, remember stegosaurus is the one with the dorsal plates, not the horns. :)

Edited by ToaSalvus(lego)

If that was the case then it's just incredibly lazy, since Gallimimus are nowhere near small dinosaurs (being as long as 26 ft and over 6 ft tall at the hips) Really this is just a big fail on LEGO's part, F go home and reconsider.

Also, remember stegosaurus is the one with the dorsal plates, not the horns. :)

Who said the stego was the one with horns? Hasbro does a strange hybrid 'stegoceratops', but lego doesn't.

The 'gallimimus' set is an annoying turn of events. We ask for a vegesaur, and we get a meatosaur imposter, a dino-wolf without even dino-sheep clothing. It may be the case that Lex's unanswered 'are those meatosaurs' question led to false rumours about the gallimimus.

As I have said, the place to get lego herbivores is bricklink.

Maybe they put Henry Wu because he was the chief genetics for Jurassic Park and was responsible for creating the dinosaurs?

Who said the stego was the one with horns? Hasbro does a strange hybrid 'stegoceratops', but lego doesn't.

The 'gallimimus' set is an annoying turn of events. We ask for a vegesaur, and we get a meatosaur imposter, a dino-wolf without even dino-sheep clothing. It may be the case that Lex's unanswered 'are those meatosaurs' question led to false rumours about the gallimimus.

As I have said, the place to get lego herbivores is bricklink.

No, I was referring to the fact that lego obviously can't tell gallimimus from coelophysis, thus they would not be able to tell stegosaurus armatus from triceratops horridus.

I was not talking about the "stegoceratops".

The more I think about it, the more I think that LEGO just wanted to try and get some more use out of existing moulds rather than go to the expense of creating new ones. That is always going to be a cheaper option for them, so it might not necessarily be done simply out of "laziness". It's obvious they won't create an all-new mould just for one limited edition polybag.

The Coelophysis mould always bugged me anyway. Yes, it does look like a Coelophysis, but it's not accurately scaled to a Coelophysis in relation to a minifigure, it should be half the size. My argument can basically be reversed when calling it a Gallimimus (reasonably sized, but looks nothing like it).

But at the same time, I'll commend LEGO over the naming of the Raptors in their sets (both JW and Dino). Everywhere I've seen them referred to as Velociraptor, but LEGO themselves avoid calling their raptors this, rather leaving it open-ended and up to the user to decide what raptor it is to them. That's because LEGO's raptors are way too large to be considered Velociraptors. They are more Utahraptor or Megaraptor in size when compared to a minifigure. But I'm sure, to small kids (and maybe some adults too, I don't know), they'll be Velociraptors since those are the best known of the dromaeosaurs, and not everyone may have heard of the other raptors I mention (that's probably why LEGO just terms them as Raptors) :classic:

But yeah... still doesn't excuse the fact they tried to pass the Coelophysis mould off as a Gallimimus... :sceptic:

In case anybody is wondering why I put dinosaur names in italics, that's actually the correct scientific way to write them and I had to do it in reports for university, so it's drummed into me. Old habits die hard I suppose...