Darthluke824

2015 LEGO Trains?

Eh, less official Lego trains = more money for MOCs. And I know which I prefer...

Eh, less official Lego trains = more money for MOCs. And I know which I prefer...

That's why I don't buy sets in the first place. Why wait for new sets when we could just build whatever we want right now? You get more for your money that way, too.

Buying sets on sale like the Lone Ranger Train is also a good way to get train parts for the MOCs.

And it tends to be better designed!

Also you don't have management and accountants deciding what you can or can't put in your MOCs cost-wise. Plus it doesn't have to be appropriate for a 6 years-old to build. :classic:

I personally would like to see a custom hobby train build pack. However, I remember that Hobby Train from 2007 didn't go all to well. In fact, I remember before years' end getting it for $50 from SAH because they wanted to clear it out. That reduces its likelihood unless LEGO could produce something that really sells.

A reasonable shot would be at a run of either the Union Pacific 4014 (Big Boy) or N&W #611, two steam engines that are actively in the restoration process. My understanding is they could be complete by 2015, so if LEGO commemorates it, it's an opportunity.

I like (and build) high detail American freight, but sadly not many kids are in the program and only a limited amount of AFOL are too. Of course the only pretty freight is Intermodal which has appeared twice in 2005 (TTX) and 2011 (Maersk). Probably so just because it demonstrates full circle, versatile supply chain logistics. Goes to show when, say, my rock train for example isn't wow-factor material.

Edited by brickbuilder711

I personally would like to see a custom hobby train build pack. However, I remember that Hobby Train from 2007 didn't go all to well. In fact, I remember before years' end getting it for $50 from SAH because they wanted to clear it out. That reduces its likelihood unless LEGO could produce something that really sells.

A reasonable shot would be at a run of either the Union Pacific 4014 (Big Boy) or N&W #611, two steam engines that are actively in the restoration process. My understanding is they could be complete by 2015, so if LEGO commemorates it, it's an opportunity.

I like (and build) high detail American freight, but sadly not many kids are in the program and only a limited amount of AFOL are too. Of course the only pretty freight is Intermodal which has appeared twice in 2005 (TTX) and 2011 (Maersk). Probably so just because it demonstrates full circle, versatile supply chain logistics. Goes to show when, say, my rock train for example isn't wow-factor material.

Lego will never do a Big Boy. Too big, too complex. I suppose they could do a much simplified (ie, less wheels) version of the N&W one, but it'd probably have a reasonably compromised boiler as well.

I cannot wait anymore... When were the first pictures, information available for HE #10233 ?

I think someone said January 2011.

I cannot wait anymore... When were the first pictures, information available for HE #10233 ?

It was announced at the end of Sept 2012, for release in Jan 2013. Maersk Train was revealed in Jan 2011 and released Apr 2011. So hopefully we're due some news soon :)

Edited by PeteM

I would love to see a set representing any of the GE Evolution Series locomotives in any color scheme. I think there exists the opportunity for advanced building techniques, rare color offerings and an appropriate piece count. These are the trains that I (and kids, teens, AFOLs) see most often at train crossings and even in TV commercials now. International appeal may be there as these trains have been exported to China, Australia, Russia and South America (unfortunately may not be popular in Europe). However if they are going every other, it is the American's turn. A couple advanced freight cars would be nice too (tanker, hopper, flat). I would love to see TLG's solution to the GE nose too.

That's what I was saying. Lego trains aren't what they used to be. They used to be a separate theme themselves, now they're just under City. Which is a shame... I remember those "My Own Train" packets with train parts. That was for MOCs. And just the generally wider variety of Lego trains offered, and themed trains i.e. the BNSF GP-38 and the Santa Fe Super Chief. Arguably now they've released the Maersk and the Flying Scotsman + the Horizon Express. But these trains aren't what Lego used to make. I'm not sure buying sets anymore is worth it, better just get parts for MOCs.

It was announced at the end of Sept 2012, for release in Jan 2013. Maersk Train was revealed in Jan 2011 and released Apr 2011. So hopefully we're due some news soon :)

Hopefully we are not all getting our hopes up for a new Creator Expert train in January-March, only to be let down, to date, I don't think there has even been a whisper of a new train? Maybe I'm wrong. I really want a Mallard steam train,

I would love to see a set representing any of the GE Evolution Series locomotives in any color scheme. I think there exists the opportunity for advanced building techniques, rare color offerings and an appropriate piece count. These are the trains that I (and kids, teens, AFOLs) see most often at train crossings and even in TV commercials now. International appeal may be there as these trains have been exported to China, Australia, Russia and South America (unfortunately may not be popular in Europe). However if they are going every other, it is the American's turn. A couple advanced freight cars would be nice too (tanker, hopper, flat). I would love to see TLG's solution to the GE nose too.

Wouldn't mind it myself. I'm one of those that have dared an attempt at a GEVO and it can offer a fair building challenge:

12263417425_4fcb79a13c_c.jpg

The model holds good context as it teaches environmentally efficient ways of transporting cargo, especially should LEGO consider a T3, T4, or Nat Gas powered GEVO. Chances are they would use GE company colors (blue (and lime if doing an early prototype)) or resurrect a license with BNSF which can make for fun building. Just don't know what freight cars would it latch on to that will sell well... maybe ethanol?

I would be happy with any steam train as long as like the recent Creator ones they are at least roughly based around a real engine. I'd prefer a shunter and matbe they could come out with some sort of micro motor just for it? Perhaps on a twin axle set up like the existing train motor but withoutthe central pin. That way it would be much easier to do with all the other PF stuff. It would be good if they could do one with lots of pulling power but a low top speed, still keeping the 7 speed variables but all at varous low speeds, much more shunty f you get my meanng!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that 2015-2016 is the 50th annaversary of Lego Trains! 323 was released in 1965 and 111 released in 1966. The best reason in the world to return to the 12v / 9v shunter! Hopefully a Mallard too...

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that 2015-2016 is the 50th annaversary of Lego Trains! 323 was released in 1965 and 111 released in 1966. The best reason in the world to return to the 12v / 9v shunter! Hopefully a Mallard too...

I for one would love to see a commemorative re=release of another classic train set a la the 10001 Metroliner. I doubt they'd remake any of the 12v equipment, but like another 7740 would be awesome.

firstofminifigs,

do you mean something like this? (excuse me for the very poor quality of the image)

nils.

post-13405-0-59636400-1412776579_thumb.jpg

I for one would love to see a commemorative re=release of another classic train set a la the 10001 Metroliner. I doubt they'd remake any of the 12v equipment, but like another 7740 would be awesome.

I missed out on a 7740 in the 80s. A lasting regret. They take PF so well.

This is my proposal for 2015, but I may need some help to bring back the shunter from the golden era of 12v and 9v.

All PF are on board with the receiver in the bunker and battery box hidden by the side tanks.

I have it up on Ideas at the moment but it is short on support. What are our chances..post-29233-0-24246500-1412781764_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dread Pirate Rob

@brickbuilder711 and nils,

Love both your models, exactly along the lines of what I was thinking would be a great train for TLG to release. I'm actually in the process of designing one myself. Swoofty has a ton of great GE models in the GE colors as well that I have been using for inspiration. A friend of mine recently got a management job with GE in Erie PA where they manufacture these, hopefully he'll be able to give me a tour someday.

15457633826_86abae4ece_q.jpgGE CSX WIP by firstofminifigs, on Flickr

As for freight, TLG could go a number of different ways (or create several types of cars) and still be successful in my opinion. I don't think they'd need to worry about sales, let's be honest we're all going to buy the train set if it is released. Most of us have made the mistake of NOT buying them in the past and are now paying the price (literally... on Ebay).

Hopefully we are not all getting our hopes up for a new Creator Expert train in January-March, only to be let down, to date, I don't think there has even been a whisper of a new train? Maybe I'm wrong. I really want a Mallard steam train,

No, you're right, not even a whisper - my post was made more in hope than knowledge... But an A4 similar to Mallard would be great!

@brickbuilder711 and nils,

Love both your models, exactly along the lines of what I was thinking would be a great train for TLG to release. I'm actually in the process of designing one myself. Swoofty has a ton of great GE models in the GE colors as well that I have been using for inspiration. A friend of mine recently got a management job with GE in Erie PA where they manufacture these, hopefully he'll be able to give me a tour someday.

15457633826_86abae4ece_q.jpgGE CSX WIP by firstofminifigs, on Flickr

As for freight, TLG could go a number of different ways (or create several types of cars) and still be successful in my opinion. I don't think they'd need to worry about sales, let's be honest we're all going to buy the train set if it is released. Most of us have made the mistake of NOT buying them in the past and are now paying the price (literally... on Ebay).

Good luck with your design, it is a real shame the train community has not had much luck with the Ideas site, nothing we put up seems to capture the popular imagination and get the required 27 votes a day unless it is licenced.

The world needs a Mallard.

we need a cross track

YES

As you probably know, the Horizon Express train was released in January 2013. Two years earlier, the Maersk cargo train was released. Two years before that, the Emerald Night was released. If the order continues, then there SHOULD be a new train released next year, most likely a cargo train (Emerald=passenger, Maersk= cargo, Horizon=passenger). So, what would you like to see?

(P.S., if there is already a theme for this, could a mod please merge them? I just didn't see a specific topic for it. Thanks)

Everyone always says they want an A4, but I really doubt TLG would manage to do the engine justice without an insane parts count and a build that is a lot more difficult than the usual expert set builds.