42030 Volvo L350F Wheel Loader Rating  

379 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

I have to say that although disproportionate is tough and robust, better than I thought.

Same here. It seemed a little off in the appearance but it works great.

Great set very happy with mine. I'm using the train remote and steering works betters.

Are you using the train remote with the basic kit. If so in what way does it improve the steering.

the train remote is wonderful. i select the receiver 1 and then switch to receiver 2 and operate, while the receiver 1 is also working. this way three functions work at the same time.

I got my copy of the Volvo today! :thumbup:

I'm in the middle of the build at the moment, I reached the point of installing the battery box before taking a break. 3 h 50 min spent so far.

-------------------------

Another 2 h 30 min done. If it wasn't for work tomorrow, I'd be tempted to keep building until it's finished.

Edited by Error404

My loader is now finished after a total building time of around 8,5 hours, including sorting. I'm very satisfied with the build.

I have a problem though - the rear axle spins in opposite direction of the remote movement. Based on things I've read before, my guess would be that the rear differential is mounted the wrong way, but I'm completely sure I built everything according to the manual.

Can anyone confirm if it's the rear diff being the wrong way?

Yes. It is. I've seen the same problem on another site, but in that case it was the front diff.

Strange. I'm sure I did exactly as shown in the manual...

I'll have to see how I can fix it without disassembling too much :laugh:

Alright, I've fixed it. The rear diff was indeed the wrong way. Now it works just like it should.

Strange. I'm sure I did exactly as shown in the manual...

I'll have to see how I can fix it without disassembling too much :laugh:

Isn't it a matter of simply moving one of the little switches on the remote to make the motor turn the other way around.

Alright, I've fixed it. The rear diff was indeed the wrong way. Now it works just like it should.

Oops, didn't see your answer :look:

Although the rear diff. unit (with the small turntable) is built correctly as per instructions - it is quite easy for it to rotate 180 degs. as its joined to the the other section with red beams thus putting the diff. the wrong way round. I managed to do it as well.

Front diff. unit cannot be assemble incorrectly if instructions are followed.

Once chassis built it is best test every step before pocceeding.

Yeah, I discovered the diff problem when I tested the remote functions after I was done building the loader. I didn't think as far as to test it earlier, as I expected everything to be correct from the manual.

I just have to ask - if the model swings from side to side when moved, when the battery box is turned off, could that damage the servo motor in any way?

I've made some small modifications to the loader, among them a small thingy to lock the loader in forward position when not in use, just in case.

Edited by Error404

I've been hesitant to get this set, but after seeing the terrific job Jim has done with the review, my opinion has 'evolved'.

Jim: Your dedication to this hobby and impeccable reviews are sure having an effect :thumbup: .

All I need now is to find one heavily 'discounted' :grin:.

Edited by DrJB

Thanks for the kind words. Although I can't be held responsible for your expenditures :laugh::wink:

Steering with the servo was kind of a mistake, Efferman's MOD to steer with mini LAs is a BIG improvement. I guess it was a Marketing decision more than a design one.

Still, I rather have one more servo than one more M motor :)

Edited by miguev

Steering with servo works fine as long as you use the train remote or sBrick. I don't get it why they didn't include the train remote, according to their own webshop the thing is $4.- more than the regular remote, for four dollars you get way better control over the model.

I've seen the train remote mentioned but I don't understand how it improves steering. I've never owned a train remote so I don't have experience with it. How is it better?

Normal remote has only two settings, full power forward or full power backwards. The train remote has 14 settings, seven in each direction. With the train remote you can drive/steer at seven different speeds/angles. So you can make a fast wide turn, slow narrow turn and everything in between.

Normal remote has only two settings, full power forward or full power backwards. The train remote has 14 settings, seven in each direction. With the train remote you can drive/steer at seven different speeds/angles. So you can make a fast wide turn, slow narrow turn and everything in between.

What is the part number for the train remote - sounds like a good idea to get one.

8879. I can't paste text in this box so you'll have to look it up yourself on the Lego.com website.

Thank you!

Hi, Jim! Are you going to review the 42043 Mercedes Truck? Do you know approximately when it will be ready? I see you posted the 42030 review on June 2nd last year, will you make it that early this year aswell?