TheRacker

How to fix the Republic Gunship(75021) ball turrets

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

So I was quite displeased with how lazily Lego attached the turrets to the gunship. They didn't have much range of motion, took up space in the troop compartment, and were just kinda lame. So I fixed them to be much more poseable, movie accurate, and you can use them with a door mod that closes the troop doors all the way. I also changed a few other things, but those are more minor and not the focus of this topic.

Front view

hBOCxEx.jpg

Side view, here you can see they still work with closed doors

xpq2zwY.jpg

Inside view of how it connects, the only thing is that I don't have 2 more 2x1x2 slopes, so I substituted

F6H7K1C.jpg

Movie picture, so you can see what I mean by more accurate

61V43mP.png

They can now fire backwards if you wish

srtLWUh.jpg

LDD picture of how it is built, each brick is a different color for clarity

fEY7PZt.png

And one overall picture again to finish it out

eFUnwJh.jpg

I hope these imgur links work out, this is my first time posting here. Also would this post need tags in the title?

Wow, TheRacker, this is one heck of a first post!

You just made a spectacular improvement to a great set. Thank you for sharing!

Wow, TheRacker, this is one heck of a first post!

You just made a spectacular improvement to a great set. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks! I really love this set, it looks spectacular and holds together really well, but there were a few small things that bugged me. Now it's pretty much perfect, except for the back angle of the bay doors, which I'm working on fixing now. And I saw before I signed up that you guys really value quality content, so I didn't want to make a bad first impression.

Thanks! I really love this set, it looks spectacular and holds together really well, but there were a few small things that bugged me. Now it's pretty much perfect, except for the back angle of the bay doors, which I'm working on fixing now. And I saw before I signed up that you guys really value quality content, so I didn't want to make a bad first impression.

No worries there; this is definitely quality content. :thumbup: Smart work! Well done.

Nice job! Clever too! The first pictures had me doubt the stability of the mod, but seeing how you used the headlight brick and two-sided SNOT brick really impressed me and alleviated my fears because the Technic connector has firm support on both sides.

I thought about modding my 7676 Gunship years ago by adding bubble cannons, but I could never come up with a satisfactory way of mounting the cannons without interrupting the doors. This looks really great in every way and I might just try and add this mod to my gunship. EDIT: And I realize the doors on 7676 move forward and might get in the way of the cannons, but I'll figure something out :laugh:

Edited by Apollo VI

Nice job! Clever too! The first pictures had me doubt the stability of the mod, but seeing how you used the headlight brick and two-sided SNOT brick really impressed me and alleviated my fears because the Technic connector has firm support on both sides.

I thought about modding my 7676 Gunship years ago by adding bubble cannons, but I could never come up with a satisfactory way of mounting the cannons without interrupting the doors. This looks really great in every way and I might just try and add this mod to my gunship. EDIT: And I realize the doors on 7676 move forward and might get in the way of the cannons, but I'll figure something out :laugh:

Yeah the technic connector is in there solidly, it's locked down by the technic beam that runs up the ship and all the bricks around it holding it in place. You can really yank on it and it won't go anywhere. And for the 7676 gunship, just attach the doors like I did, to the back doors. That's how they work in some places anyways, such as the game Republic Commando.

I'd like to see how you did that door mod. I might just want to do the same to mine.

Here's a full album of the mods: http://imgur.com/a/xSPem

The only thing is that the door connection is VERY delicate, I didn't really think through too much the best way to attach it before I put in my bricklink order, but I see a better way of doing it already that will make it a little stronger. I don't think you can make it super solid though.

That is an excellent modification, I may well have to go and find my set now!

I was not satisfied with the turrets themselves a while ago, so I had a go at building my own...

9065808932_3a0aebea4c.jpg

I think I might combine your mod with this design :classic:

The only thing is that the door connection is VERY delicate, I didn't really think through too much the best way to attach it before I put in my bricklink order, but I see a better way of doing it already that will make it a little stronger. I don't think you can make it super solid though.

You're right. that looks VERY fragile. If you use an inverted slope of some kind, probably 2x3x1, and put it next to the 1x2 brick, and connected it with a plate or a rounded 2x2 piece it would be more sturdy. I also imagine it would be easy to remove the extra door if you didn't want it on.

You're right. that looks VERY fragile. If you use an inverted slope of some kind, probably 2x3x1, and put it next to the 1x2 brick, and connected it with a plate or a rounded 2x2 piece it would be more sturdy. I also imagine it would be easy to remove the extra door if you didn't want it on.

What I was thinking is using a 1x2 brick with 2 pin holes, then connecting that like a normal brick and not halfway offset, because then I could stack other bricks around it and use plates to brace it on top if that makes sense. I'd also use some different technic parts to connect it as well. I should make an LDD mockup and post that in here to clarify.

What I was thinking is using a 1x2 brick with 2 pin holes, then connecting that like a normal brick and not halfway offset, because then I could stack other bricks around it and use plates to brace it on top if that makes sense. I'd also use some different technic parts to connect it as well. I should make an LDD mockup and post that in here to clarify.

I made one of the doors today to test it out and found just how fragile it is. I guess you could use a longer bar and an extra 1x2 brick, but I don't know if it would fit...

I made one of the doors today to test it out and found just how fragile it is. I guess you could use a longer bar and an extra 1x2 brick, but I don't know if it would fit...

It wouldn't, space is pretty limited. I think my other idea would work out though.

Ok here's a much stronger connection:

cs3f2lI.png

The only thing is that you have to take out the top inverted 1x3 slope if you want it to fit on the stock gunship, you'd have to mod it a bit next to that storage compartment otherwise to make it fit. Even with only the bottom inverted slope it should be much stronger, however.

Ok here's what you have to fix. Make the circled 2x2 brick an inverted 2x2 slope like the ones next to it, and use a 6x10 plate instead of a 6x12 plate. That'll allow the full new connection to fit.

F48u5sv.png

Edited by TheRacker

Hello friends,

Having just recently bought my #75021 I was like most people, not satisfied with what it ended up being. (Not as accurate as it should be) So doing some research I came across this post and others to see what people were doing to remedy it. I spent close to a month using different parts and such to create what was posted here but also my own take. For now I've worked on the doors (large ones on the side). Just my opinion but I think this version more closely resembles what the doors originally look like and something closer to what Lego could have actually made. (I'm big on it looking like it came from Lego that way). You can also only use one of the 2x2 technic arms if you'd like. I only think two with two 1x3 technic pins keeps it from sagging a bit better. (The connection is very strong) Also you don't need to modify the structure of the gunship with a 6x10 plate. It all fits nicely beside the ship. I hope you all enjoy and I hope I don't step on anybody's toes by posting this. If it wasn't for what was already here than I wouldn't have gotten this far. So I thank you...

post-127213-0-07632100-1413497860_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brett-S

I have applied the turret MOD and it works like a charm. I want to update the doors now as well but I can't figure out what you both did.

Brett, would you have a larger view of your picture ?

TheRacker, with your second design, I suppose you have only one long door and no more a folding one like on the first picture ?

Anyway, great MODs. I also added some nose art to my son's gunship.

Hello friends,

Having just recently bought my #75021 I was like most people, not satisfied with what it ended up being. (Not as accurate as it should be) So doing some research I came across this post and others to see what people were doing to remedy it. I spent close to a month using different parts and such to create what was posted here but also my own take. For now I've worked on the doors (large ones on the side). Just my opinion but I think this version more closely resembles what the doors originally look like and something closer to what Lego could have actually made. (I'm big on it looking like it came from Lego that way). You can also only use one of the 2x2 technic arms if you'd like. I only think two with two 1x3 technic pins keeps it from sagging a bit better. (The connection is very strong) Also you don't need to modify the structure of the gunship with a 6x10 plate. It all fits nicely beside the ship. I hope you all enjoy and I hope I don't step on anybody's toes by posting this. If it wasn't for what was already here than I wouldn't have gotten this far. So I thank you...

No that looks great! Probably a better solution than mine.

I have applied the turret MOD and it works like a charm. I want to update the doors now as well but I can't figure out what you both did.

Brett, would you have a larger view of your picture ?

TheRacker, with your second design, I suppose you have only one long door and no more a folding one like on the first picture ?

Anyway, great MODs. I also added some nose art to my son's gunship.

No my second design also folds the door into two sections like my first one, it's just the connection is stronger. I'm not sure if my second design or Brett-S's design is better though, haven't tried both.

Clever work!

I like your enhanced version!

Thanks!

No that looks great! Probably a better solution than mine.

No my second design also folds the door into two sections like my first one, it's just the connection is stronger. I'm not sure if my second design or Brett-S's design is better though, haven't tried both.

Thanks!

Hi, would it be possible to get more details on your second door design. I've done the turrets but having trouble following the door sections.

Hi, would it be possible to get more details on your second door design. I've done the turrets but having trouble following the door sections.

Did you see these pictures: http://imgur.com/a/xSPem and this one specifically: http://imgur.com/M52nP4p

That's how you build the door, but change the hinge connection to the one I posted a little earlier in the thread saying it was stronger, and modify the body like I pointed out in the edited instructions.

Also I hope I'm not bumping this old thread too much, sorry mods.

Edited by TheRacker