Hello, I'm new to Eurobricks, so I thought I'd start with one of my favorite builds, just to try out the functionality of posting and see if I have everything right. Let me know if I'm messing something up here!

This is a historical US Civil War build of the 20th Maine Regiment's defense of a key position during the war's turning point, the Battle of Gettysburg. I built it for the 150th Anniversary of the actual battle, starting it on the anniversary of the very day the action took place. It was part of the Civil War display at last year's Brickfair and won Best Historical MOC for 2013. For the full story of this action, click on the image.

9472895215_282c7e2c51_c.jpg

Thanks for your comments!

Edited by Gary The Procrastinator

Awesome build! I love the detail! Very well done! Really neat you tied this in with the 150th anniversary.

Lovely action... The blue contrasts so cool between green trees.... Lovely!

Hey mate! Welcome to Eurobricks, it's nice to have you here. This is one amazing build, I can totally see why you won the best historical MOC.

I hope to see more builds from you in the future ;-). Brick on!

Very nice work, the trees look amazing. Though in my honest opinion, the seizure of Vicksburg, Mississippi was the turning point of the war :tongue:

This is such an awesome historical scene! Love the details, especially the subtle things like the bayonets and tourniquets. Great job!

Amazing! This is so realistic looking I thought I almost heard the rebel yell! Your combination of elevating terrain and SNOT rockwork is beyond expert. The massed formation of union troops and the irregular look of the confederates - properly spread out in typical skirmishing formation - is spot on. Can't wait to see more from you!

Incredible. Welcome!

Any chance you could tell us how you made the foliage? I haven't seen anything like these before!

Edited by Master_Data

Welcome to EB, this is amazing! So much details. A few nice ideas for my layout up there :tongue:

So much detail! And your new?!
Awesome build! I love the detail! Very well done! Really neat you tied this in with the 150th anniversary.
Lovely action... The blue contrasts so cool between green trees.... Lovely!
AWESOME!!!!!
Hey mate! Welcome to Eurobricks, it's nice to have you here. This is one amazing build, I can totally see why you won the best historical MOC. I hope to see more builds from you in the future ;-). Brick on!
This is such an awesome historical scene! Love the details, especially the subtle things like the bayonets and tourniquets. Great job!
Amazing! This is so realistic looking I thought I almost heard the rebel yell! Your combination of elevating terrain and SNOT rockwork is beyond expert. The massed formation of union troops and the irregular look of the confederates - properly spread out in typical skirmishing formation - is spot on. Can't wait to see more from you!
That's impressive, I love the landscape and those trees :) and the bayonets are cool too!
Incredible. Welcome! Any chance you could tell us how you made the foliage? I haven't seen anything like these before!
I`ve seen that awesome moc on flickr - it`s just gorgeous!
Really impressive! Great landscaping and lovely trees.
Welcome to EB, this is amazing! So much details. A few nice ideas for my layout up there :tongue:
Beautiful. Reminds me of the 1993 movie.
Great MOC!!!

Thank you so much everyone, such a warm welcome from the EB community, I should have joined a long time ago! I greatly appreciate the comments!

Very nice work, the trees look amazing. Though in my honest opinion, the seizure of Vicksburg, Mississippi was the turning point of the war :tongue:

Yes that's another critical point, and they happened within days of each other. I believe however that Gettysburg was even more important, and here's why: if Vicksburg had not fallen then, it would have fallen eventually. But if the Army of the Potomac had lost Gettysburg, and been swept aside, then there is a very real possibility that Robert E. Lee would have penetrated Washington D.C.'s defenses, and that would have brought the European Powers' support to the South, changing both the nature of the war and the manner by which the Union won, which was by strangling the South of resources. It is even potentially possible that Lee could have captured Lincoln in D.C., and that certainly would have ended the war on Southern terms. Just my thoughts; thank you for the comment!

Any chance you could tell us how you made the foliage? I haven't seen anything like these before!
Certainly, they are extremely sturdy and therefore fantastic for displays in public (I am a member of WAMALUG, and we do dozens of displays every year in Northern Virginia and Washington D.C./Maryland). Let me see if I can find the post where someone asked previously on FLICKR and I will get back to you. Edited by Gary The Procrastinator

Impressive! The scenery is very realistic, and I'm especially glad to see MOC like that with purist LEGO weapons. I also like how every soldier has different face, there are many expressions that are just perfect.

I love how the tree trunks aren't brown. They'r so much more realistic on grey.

Thank you for noticing, and yes they do. I travelled to the actual site of where the 20th Maine fought on LRT, and the trunks are indeed Dark Bley...er, um, dark gray!

Impressive! The scenery is very realistic, and I'm especially glad to see MOC like that with purist LEGO weapons. I also like how every soldier has different face, there are many expressions that are just perfect.

I am purist, thank you for noticing! The only comprimise I was willing to make were the flags. You just can't build a Northern VA Battle Flag out of Lego at that scale, it's impossible to make it recognizable, and the flags had to be there for historical purposes and also to help people see the "two sides". And I do try to get as many different faces in there as I can.

Nice scene. Really beautiful composition!

Thank you! Edited by Gary The Procrastinator