Rick

10244 Fairground Mixer

Picked one up yesterday and build it last night and today. Great set! It's got the common Lego scale issues (ride seats are way in the air instead of near the ground on a real one, the semi with the ride is 8 wide and the other truck is 6, etc) but it's still great. I was a carnie back in my high school days and so I've set up many rides in my day. The fact that the designer went to the effort to make this whole festival fit onto the trucks is a fantastic play feature. Sure, you could argue that so much play features makes it less of a fit for the expert line, but whatever. I think it's not a city themed set because it doesn't really fit scale-wise with other sets. I mean, this thing unfolds into a ride bigger than any of the modular buildings, bigger than the police stations, etc. It just seems out of place alongside other buildings.

But as a set it's awesomely cool. Pretty good build (not TOO much repetiveness, other than the fence, and that's simple and quick).

One beef though - since the cars on the ride are yellow, blue, and red, WHY OH WHY are the trans elements on the red section trans-orange?

Oh, and why not have some way to get it off the wheels when unfolded, rather than having MORE wheels come down as support? Makes the whole thing slide around while you crank it if you're on a table.

A couple more sections of fence wouldn't be a bad addition too; the fence just barely encloses the ride if you're really careful setting it out.

Too bad my wife is out of town with the good camera this weekend - I would have done a full photo review of it otherwise, but oh well.

I found a link on Brickset dot com to a contest to win a set, answer the question to enter. It is an autographed by the designer box too...

brickset.com/article/11236/win-a-signed-fairground-mixer!

I am in the USA, but logged onto the UK S@H site...and you get a free balloon card and a shredder mini fig free if ordering the Mixer..haha, I wonder if I could get away with that..?! Another interesting thing, my VIP points show up as £50, its $50 on the USA site, I know that the exchange rate works the other way round! Haha $50 is about £30 in exchange..

I've ordered my Fairground Mixer last Saturday, but the order still says in process... had the same situation with the early order on the Parisian Restaurant, and eventually had to re-order that one because my order got lost in the system. Hope that this won't happen again...

I am in the USA, but logged onto the UK S@H site...and you get a free balloon card and a shredder mini fig free if ordering the Mixer..haha, I wonder if I could get away with that..?! Another interesting thing, my VIP points show up as £50, its $50 on the USA site, I know that the exchange rate works the other way round! Haha $50 is about £30 in exchange..

The ballon cart starts June 1st in the US, we don't have the shredder minifig offer yet

Ordered mine last night, I was going to hold off for a while, but couldn't pass up the free balloon cart, makes the AUS$ price a bit better when there is free stuff included.

I also found the 850791 Birthday Set, so now I'll have a clown walking around the fairground as well. I hope they bring out more fairground themed sets, this will look great on display as part of my city, but it really needs more rides to complement it. I'll probably bring over the merry-go-round for the WV set as well as scale is about right.

I was going to hold off for a while, but couldn't pass up the free balloon cart

Ditto, the balloon cart goes well with the rest of the set. I was probably gonna buy the set later anyway...

I'm mostly into Lego for the architecture sets and modular buildings. Once in a while I stumble across a set outside of those categories that I really like. Finished building the fairground mixer. Very impressive. Nothing negative to say about it. Some nice building techniques, a number of components that can be built independently of one another (family project?) and a size able footprint when completed. The Brickshow review on Youtube says it all. Worth watching.

a number of components that can be built independently of one another (family project?)

Can you name any other sets with a similar setup that would make for good team/group/co-op builds?

Can you name any other sets with a similar setup that would make for good team/group/co-op builds?

Well, mostly building the architectural sets and modular buildings, afraid I can't. Unless you count the pet shop modular that's two buildings that can be built independently of one another. Or, on some modulars different people could be working on one of three floors.

Anyway, since probably 99% of those reading this thread know more about the lego product line than I know, maybe they can help.

Yeah, the Pet Shop would be ideal for a two-person project. Hopefully someone else has some input beyond modulars. Thanks, though, and I'm glad to hear the Fairground Mixer is a worthwhile purchase. I'm looking forward to getting it next month.

Just got mine last Thursday. The balloon cart wasn't available yet. :(

The Arctic Base Camp.

Just got done building it, it's fantastic. It's everything you saw in the video and more. The only annoying part of the build was that fence. An odd choice was the trans orange parts to pair with the red area of the ride. While the blue & yellow sections had the proper colors.

I don't see a problem with the different sized trucks. Clearly one needs to be bigger than the other, since it's carrying a much heavier load.

Was planning on starting tonight, but I couldn't wait and assembled the minifigs and the balloon-cart already. Love the minifigs, only downside is that two of the women have the same face print. The balloon-cart is nice, though out of proportion and way too tall for minifigs. It's a shame that the boy has the same face print and torso as the boy in the mixer set.

I'm mostly into Lego for the architecture sets and modular buildings. Once in a while I stumble across a set outside of those categories that I really like. Finished building the fairground mixer. Very impressive. Nothing negative to say about it. Some nice building techniques, a number of components that can be built independently of one another (family project?) and a size able footprint when completed. The Brickshow review on Youtube says it all. Worth watching.

Coming fomr that perspective, as having the type of interest that you do in Lego; Do you think that you would also like the Twist-and-Whirl ride I made, and am trying to gather support for on Lego Ideas? (link to it is in my sig).

Edited by dvsntt

I am really happy to hear that. My interests in Lego are also mostly the modulars and technic sets, but I really love the Ferris Wheel and Carousel and had to have them when I saw them on the shelves (I love the motion in those sets), and those inspired me to make one like the Tilt-A-Whirl. It is actually the first MOC I ever built.

Well, you have my support. And, I do tend to be a bit on the critical side, to say the least. Your MOC is both detailed and true to the real subject matter.

Does anyone have an idea about why there is a brick with a technic axle in this step:

zVV25DH.jpg

It does not seem to have any purpose, they could have put a plain 1x2 DBG brick, or a 1x6 like on the other side.

(I don't think it has been mentioned here, or I missed it)

Edited by antp

Indeed, I see it now in the last pages of the instructions.

Still strange to put that spare part that way...

Indeed, I see it now in the last pages of the instructions.

Still strange to put that spare part that way...

I think they put it there so it wasn't left loose and possibly be lost or misplaced

I just saw on Brickset that they are adding a 'Fairground Mixer Collection (5003588) which includes a motor and battery with the set. I thought all along that should of been the way it came. Its not on S@H in the USA yet, the UK price is £149.99.