The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

10 hours ago, adwind said:

Looking at how many and how fast new projects reach 2-3-4k I'm guessing next round won't be small either! There's some TV show project that got 4k votes in 1 day - that's crazy!

I wish I knew how those guys were doing it. It's one thing to have a good idea, and quite another to market it - what's the secret to successfully promoting a project and whipping up support for it?

1 hour ago, NathanR said:

I wish I knew how those guys were doing it. It's one thing to have a good idea, and quite another to market it - what's the secret to successfully promoting a project and whipping up support for it?

We had a secret formula few pages back! Old NASA fishing rocket based on a Disney sitcom... ha-ha :) If you'll find a way to use a tensegrity feature and maybe all this in form of roller coaster - that's the way :)  

19 hours ago, adwind said:

We had a secret formula few pages back! Old NASA fishing rocket based on a Disney sitcom... ha-ha :) If you'll find a way to use a tensegrity feature and maybe all this in form of roller coaster - that's the way :)  

Now thats funny right there! :head_back:

23 hours ago, adwind said:

Hmmm.... time to fire up LDD then. I have a vision of a Classic Space astronaut, fishing in the Moon's Sea of Tranquility, while standing on a tensegrity-floating platform that hovers over Della Duck trying to repair her crashed Spear of Selene. Definitely gonna have fun running that through the Lego Ideas IP filter...

On 5/5/2020 at 12:13 AM, jonwil said:

Didn't Mega Bloks have the license for Futurama or did that expire?

I'm pretty sure Mega Construx isn't making anymore Futurama products. Either their license has expired or it might've been non-exclusive.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:13 AM, jonwil said:

Somehow I missed a few when I posted my earlier thoughts:

Ancient Rome looks too big (in area if not in piece count)

Ruined House looks interesting but would it sell?

As for Spongebob, does Mega not have the license anymore? Also LEGO would know how well Spongebob sets sold and whether a Krusty Krab that large would work or not (and whether its fesable to bring back the molds for the Spongebob characters or not)

The waterfall also looks good but again, would it sell?

I could see the Queen train having a better chance of being made than the other Queen set.

Didn't Mega Bloks have the license for Futurama or did that expire?

Iron Giant is possible, LEGO do have a good relationship with Warner Bros (who own the rights) but is it popular enough?

The Zelda Castle looks too big (it looks to be Disney Castle sized maybe)

Blue Origin rocket, even less well known than SpaceX.

The Earth Globe has possibilities since its something different (in the way of things like the ship in a bottle). But whether it can be brought in at a price point that makes sense is another matter.

Spongebob might be moving culturally into that same sort of territory as The Simpson's. Where it might have some appeal as a larger D2C style set for an older audience. It's become a multi-generational touch stone in its own weird way. So maybe.

Ruined House, Ancient Rome, Waterfall are really excellent MOC's that have no good chance as a Product offering. 

Iron Giant is seeing a recent resurgence in interest. It may be the anniversary? Not sure why but even Walmart has a nice 14" Iron Giant Toy with Electronics out right now. (Looks good standing alongside the Playmates Voltron's.) So maybe? There may be a market there? How well did Voltron sell. They may use that as an indicator. 

The Globe is a strong contender for production. Possibly the Fishing Boat and the Castle that would seem a good companion piece to the Pirates of Baracuda Bay set. 

What I would like in order of preference:

- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

- Futurama Ship

- Supercar Kitt

- Microscale Rome

- Technic Snow-groomer

Likely winners:

- Seinfeld (consistent with Friends)

- Fishing Boat (matching the Fishing Store)

Further review:

- Typewriter

- Earth Globe

Maeva!

Welcome to the South Pacific where breathtaking sceneries will embark you on a blissful journey and make your dream vacation come true. Discover a site with soaring backdrops filled with luxuriant vegetation and diversified fauna.
The Resort
First things first! Fly to a private island and around your resort, admire the mountain view and its waterfall. Get ready to explore the site once you have settled and checked in.
Your Overwater Villa
A luxurious French Polynesian overwater Villa equipped with a wide glass floor inside for a sneak peak at the sea floor, exotic reef fish, colorful corals and even an octopus! All rooms provide expansive and panoramic views on the ocean. Equipped with a private plunge pool, dock, swing and ambience lights on the balcony, the Villa is cozy and will make your stay most comfortable and relaxing. Open the side wall and remove the natural thatch roofs to get full access to the interiors.
Beach Life
Have the time of your life with all sorts of water and land activities around the site:
Kayaking, Windsurfing, Jet Skiing, Hiking, Treasure Hunting, Zip Lining, Snorkeling, Underwater Encounters such as Swimming with Sharks and Fishing are only some of the exciting activities waiting for you.
Please let me know what you think, every comment will be considered to make this a better concept.
Manuia!

resize:1600:900
resize:1600:900resize:1600:900

10 days to 10k , that was fast, even tho I have no interest in those TV show sets myself.

58 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

10 days to 10k , that was fast, even tho I have no interest in those TV show sets myself.

Yeah 10 days is like beyond of my understanding! I haven't heard about this show either... Wishing the creator of this idea all the best but I personally doubt they can pick something that is based on "this day trendy thing"... same goes to the goose game, animal crossing etc.  

39 minutes ago, adwind said:

Yeah 10 days is like beyond of my understanding! I haven't heard about this show either... Wishing the creator of this idea all the best but I personally doubt they can pick something that is based on "this day trendy thing"... same goes to the goose game, animal crossing etc.  

I’m not sure what you mean by “day trendy thing”, but the “trendy” makes me think it’s something that’s currently, well, trendy. Community isn’t particularly trendy at the moment (it’s been over for a few years), but it’s much-beloved. I know people who have binged the entire show multiple times.

Anyway, it’s a hilarious show with a fiercely devoted following, and I’d love to have it myself. Though it’s essentially a sitcom, it’s not much like The Big Bang Theory, Friends, or The Flintstones; if anything, I think it appeals much more to lots of the same folks who like Doctor Who and Adventure Time. I hope it happens.

9 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I’m not sure what you mean by “day trendy thing”, but the “trendy” makes me think it’s something that’s currently, well, trendy. Community isn’t particularly trendy at the moment (it’s been over for a few years), but it’s much-beloved. I know people who have binged the entire show multiple times.

Anyway, it’s a hilarious show with a fiercely devoted following, and I’d love to have it myself. Though it’s essentially a sitcom, it’s not much like The Big Bang Theory, Friends, or The Flintstones; if anything, I think it appeals much more to lots of the same folks who like Doctor Who and Adventure Time. I hope it happens.

Do you think it is well known enough in the whole world like other TV shows that were picked? I'm saying those TV based ideas that were picked already (except Adventure Time) had been on screens for much longer time and in my opinion had more impact on pop culture. Big bang theory was still pretty young when came out as a set though but I would say had more impact on culture around the globe. 
Same goes to other young trendy IPs - I would say they have less chances than iconic things like Ghost Busters and others. 

1 hour ago, adwind said:

Do you think it is well known enough in the whole world like other TV shows that were picked? I'm saying those TV based ideas that were picked already (except Adventure Time) had been on screens for much longer time and in my opinion had more impact on pop culture. Big bang theory was still pretty young when came out as a set though but I would say had more impact on culture around the globe. 
Same goes to other young trendy IPs - I would say they have less chances than iconic things like Ghost Busters and others. 

I don’t know, but it’s sufficiently well-known enough that this project got fully supported in ten days, when other projects (including all the other TV shows from which LEGO has produced Ideas sets) took longer (granted, we can attribute part of that to current circumstances, but even so, that’s awfully fast by any measure). Also it stars such luminaries as Donald Glover, Alison Brie, Ken Jeong, and Chevy Chase, who are not exactly unknowns. Also also, it was created by Dan Harmon of Rick and Morty fame. Also also also, Joe and Anthony Russo got to direct some of the biggest movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame - I imagine you’ve heard of some of those, at least) largely on the strength of their work on Community, so it's known for that, too (I’m not sure how The Big Bang Theory has had a bigger impact on pop culture than influencing Marvel’s directorial selections for some of the biggest movies in cinema history, though I’m willing to entertain arguments for that).

While the show itself is over, there have also been rumblings lately about a possible movie (this fulfilling the “six seasons and a movie” goal which became something of a mantra for the show and its fans).

Edited by Blondie-Wan

How in the world did this project get to 10k so fast if most people here never even knew this TV Show existed? I belive most likely the creator managed to promote his set outside of the LEGO community to non-lego fans of this TV Show. Otherwise, I can't think of any other reason why this thing would have achieved 10k so fast. 

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

How in the world did this project get to 10k so fast if most people here never even knew this TV Show existed? I belive most likely the creator managed to promote his set outside of the LEGO community to non-lego fans of this TV Show. Otherwise, I can't think of any other reason why this thing would have achieved 10k so fast. 

He managed to reach out to few actors who made tweets.. he has this info in "updates" section. And yeah promotion outside of Lego community look like to be very important

10 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I don’t know, but it’s sufficiently well-known enough that this project got fully supported in ten days, when other projects (including all the other TV shows from which LEGO has produced Ideas sets) took longer (granted, we can attribute part of that to current circumstances, but even so, that’s awfully fast by any measure). Also it stars such luminaries as Donald Glover, Alison Brie, Ken Jeong, and Chevy Chase, who are not exactly unknowns. Also also, it was created by Dan Harmon of Rick and Morty fame. Also also also, Joe and Anthony Russo got to direct some of the biggest movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame - I imagine you’ve heard of some of those, at least) largely on the strength of their work on Community, so it's known for that, too (I’m not sure how The Big Bang Theory has had a bigger impact on pop culture than influencing Marvel’s directorial selections for some of the biggest movies in cinema history, though I’m willing to entertain arguments for that).

While the show itself is over, there have also been rumblings lately about a possible movie (this fulfilling the “six seasons and a movie” goal which became something of a mantra for the show and its fans).

I'm not interested in Marvel products. Reaching 10k is about promotion mostly, basically if creator managed to reach out to few actors from this show - that's how it made it so fast. And what my original point was about is that more classy things like Friends or Seinfeld or Ghost Busters have more chances for approvement than young trendy shows - and that's my point and I don't know why you're trying to convince me in opposite :) If you're trying to say that Community is classic already, than no it is not. 
For example new Corvette is great but it's not classy as Corvette C1 is... and it can not be classy and trendy at the same time - it's about years. Like wine, music and so many other stuff :) 

Edited by adwind

1 hour ago, adwind said:

He managed to reach out to few actors who made tweets.. he has this info in "updates" section. And yeah promotion outside of Lego community look like to be very important

I'm not interested in Marvel products. Reaching 10k is about promotion mostly, basically if creator managed to reach out to few actors from this show - that's how it made it so fast. And what my original point was about is that more classy things like Friends or Seinfeld or Ghost Busters have more chances for approvement than young trendy shows - and that's my point and I don't know why you're trying to convince me in opposite :) If you're trying to say that Community is classic already, than no it is not. 
For example new Corvette is great but it's not classy as Corvette C1 is... and it can not be classy and trendy at the same time - it's about years. Like wine, music and so many other stuff :) 

Totally agree. He marketed the set well because he was 10k member and had lot of followers + reached out and celebrities popularized his idea. Probably 6k-7k of supporters are freshly created and have voted for just his set and will never return to the page. Kind a fake support, but that how the system works. Congrats and cudos for making it happen this fast to designer. Just speed isn't everything. China produces everything fast, but that doesn't make it all good. 

‘Caribbean Clipper’ just peaked 8K supporters, but won’t become a set because of the extremely recent Black Seas Barracuda, built to almost the exact same design.

Bricky_Brick’s ‘Sword of the Seas’, between 5k and 6k, is in a similar position.  However, Brickwest Studios looks awesome and will make the next review, so looking forward to that.  I hope that that at least becomes a set.  Have any designers had 2 sets made for CUUSOO/IDEAS?

Edited by Vilhelm22

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

‘Caribbean Clipper’ just peaked 8K supporters, but won’t become a set because of the extremely recent Black Seas Barracuda, built to almost the exact same design.

Bricky_Brick’s ‘Sword of the Seas’, between 5k and 6k, is in a similar position.  However, Brickwest Studios looks awesome and will make the next review, so looking forward to that.  I hope that that at least becomes a set.  Have any designers had 2 sets made for CUUSOO/IDEAS?

Agree and with a recent rule that they've announced (basically if they made a train they won't accept train ideas etc.) it makes even more sense. 

Btw Andrew Clark had Flinstones and Doctor Who and JK Brickworks had a Pop up book and Maze :) 

8 hours ago, adwind said:

I think you misunderstand my point. I was merely pointing out Community is not something super-obscure.

Having said that, I do have to take issue with some of what you’ve said here. You appear to be using “classy” and “classic” interchangeably. Friends and The Big Bang Theory are indeed both older than Community, and it could be argued they’re classics of television, but neither is really classy.

Moreover, if it’s truly about years, as you say, you should be aware Community came out in 2009, so it’s over a decade old already. That’s still younger than Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Friends, Doctor Who, The Flintstones, Yellow Submarine, and Mickey Mouse / “Steamboat Willie”, to be sure. On the other hand, it’s older than Adventure Time. It’s older than WALL•E was when it got its Ideas set. It’s older than Minecraft. And as a matter of fact, it’s several years older now than The Big Bang Theory was when it got its set.

If you’re arguing that The Big Bang Theory deserved its LEGO set on the basis of the show being a well-established classic, that actually supports the idea that Community deserves to be a set rather than refuting it. The Big Bang Theory was seven years old when its Ideas set was approved, and still a little less than eight by the time the set was released. Community on the other hand is now already over ten years old.

None of this is to say they definitely will or won’t approve a Community set. I’m just saying the age of the show isn’t really important. What’s important is how popular the show remains, and whether its fans are interested in merchandise for it.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

4 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Having said that, I do have to take issue with some of what you’ve said here. You appear to be using “classy” and “classic” interchangeably.

Ops, my third language here, sorry - of course I mean classic. And my whole point as I said before is that classic ideas have more chances to be picked than new trendy things - nothing more nothing less :) Obviously it's not obscure but just not as well known as Friends or other classics. (among adults). In my understanding 2009 is still pretty young and absolutely not a classic yet.

6 hours ago, tomaaki said:

Totally agree. He marketed the set well because he was 10k member and had lot of followers + reached out and celebrities popularized his idea. Probably 6k-7k of supporters are freshly created and have voted for just his set and will never return to the page. Kind a fake support, but that how the system works. Congrats and cudos for making it happen this fast to designer. Just speed isn't everything. China produces everything fast, but that doesn't make it all good. 

I’m not sure how that’s a “fake” support. Isn’t that how most support for projects works - at least for ones based on licensed pop-culture properties?

For LEGO, part of the whole appeal of doing an Ideas set for something like The Big Bang Theory or Yellow Submarine is the fact people who aren’t necessarily fans of LEGO but who are fans of that show or of the Beatles might buy the set; for LEGO, it means they have a chance to sell sets to people who don’t normally buy them.

That’s true for lots of Ideas projects, perhaps even most of them. In order to get support, any Ideas creator needs to reach out beyond just LEGO fandom; they need to get supports from people interested in whatever thing is being represented in the project. That means all those space projects get their support not just from LEGO fans but also space enthusiasts. Projects based on TV shows get support from not just LEGO fans but also fans of those shows. And so on. That’s an inherent part of how the whole thing works.

Yes, that does mean an awful lot of the people supporting projects on Ideas are folks who just sign up to support one specific project that’s relevant to their interests, and then never return. That doesn’t mean their support is “fake”; it’s just part of how Ideas works.

5 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I’m not sure how that’s a “fake” support. Isn’t that how most support for projects works - at least for ones based on licensed pop-culture properties?

For LEGO, part of the whole appeal of doing an Ideas set for something like The Big Bang Theory or Yellow Submarine is the fact people who aren’t necessarily fans of LEGO but who are fans of that show or of the Beatles might buy the set; for LEGO, it means they have a chance to sell sets to people who don’t normally buy them.

That’s true for lots of Ideas projects, perhaps even most of them. In order to get support, any Ideas creator needs to reach out beyond just LEGO fandom; they need to get supports from people interested in whatever thing is being represented in the project. That means all those space projects get their support not just from LEGO fans but also space enthusiasts. Projects based on TV shows get support from not just LEGO fans but also fans of those shows. And so on. That’s an inherent part of how the whole thing works.

Yes, that does mean an awful lot of the people supporting projects on Ideas are folks who just sign up to support one specific project that’s relevant to their interests, and then never return. That doesn’t mean their support is “fake”; it’s just part of how Ideas works.

I understand that aim is to reach outside of LEGO fan base and that is great, I support that. I loved when they stepped outside of regular and made: LEGO Bird Project, Beatles Yellow Submarine, Voltron - Defender of the Universe, Ship In A Bottle, The Flagship Leviathan and others, and will make Playable Lego Piano. If in these kind of situations people make account, vote and buy the set when it comes out, then that is great.

About "fake" support I meant like - whenever someone asks me what is LEGO ideas and I explain them. Then a lot of them say: make one, I'll register and vote and ask family, friends, neighbors to vote. Out of those 30 people maybe 1 or 2 would actually be interested to buy it. That generates false idea of actual interest in it. I hope that explains it. And personally that's not my aim, I want people actually to like my project idea. I understand it is impossible to monitor it, it's not kickstarter and will never be, there is no need. I like the platform as it is and appreciate it. Some ideas that come out are incredible and I will continue to support those that I like and buy if they will get produced.

About this particular project. Hats down to creator and the way he managed to get 10k votes, respect. But before this project appeared I had never heard of this TV series. It appears that it was known to US and Canada. Bit later to United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and some parts of Latin America. Only now from April 1, 2020 it's on Netflix and could gain popularity worldwide. But is it already? Sometimes feels like people think that what's in US, that everyone knows and is popular everywhere.

Drop an Idea relevant to China and one small town of chinese people could vote for it in 1 day if they would wanted that. It's about how you spread the information, I think.

Anyway, lets make projects, lets vote and lets enjoy the amazing things people create. And lets leave decision making to official review board. Lovely weekend to everyone!