The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Hi everyone!

There is a rule on LEGO Ideas that you can't change the main image of your project. What do you think about that? I have a project (I don't know if I can post the link for it here..) and I made some updates to it, so it looks much better now than it's first version and in my opinion it would be really great if we could change the main pic, so it could show the latest (and the best..) version of the project.

Hi everyone!

There is a rule on LEGO Ideas that you can't change the main image of your project. What do you think about that? I have a project (I don't know if I can post the link for it here..) and I made some updates to it, so it looks much better now than it's first version and in my opinion it would be really great if we could change the main pic, so it could show the latest (and the best..) version of the project.

I agree that you should be able to change the image. The most updated version should be visible from search results. The only thing I can think of as a reason is perhaps to try to force people to make it great the first time, but that doesn't make sense because they encourage people to update their projects.

Hi everyone!

I think it's dumb, I have updates I wanna make people see in my main image, like new minifigures or additional builds.

While it doesn't really benefit the maker of the project, by not allowing you to change the main picture it does make it so you aren't purposely abusing the system to get people to support it. Essentially making your design appeal to others, getting their support, and then changing it to get supporters, etc, rinse and repeat.

Although if they offered a main picture change at 1K and 5K, it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

If I could change my picture, I could make an awesome pirate ship and then change it to a giant unicorn stature and get the pirate supporters supporting my unicorn.

my computer posted twice, so I'm editing this one to say so, instead of saying the same thing. Sorry guys.

Edited by Actor Builder

If I could change my picture, I could make an awesome pirate ship and then change it to a giant unicorn stature and get the pirate supporters supporting my unicorn.

Agree... but can you rename your project as well?

Agree... but can you rename your project as well?

I wouldn't need to. I'd name it "The Mythic Horse" and all the Pirate Ship supporters would think that was the name of my ship before I changed it to my Unicorn Statue. If I needed even more supporters, I could change it to a Trojan Horse design for a while.

Edited by Actor Builder

On September 13, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

Not on its own, no. But if enough of the site's users start browsing with the new IP filter - looking at either only licensed projects, or only unlicensed projects - it could dramatically reduce the number of people who ever see a given project to begin with. In fact, we can be sure it will reduce the number; the only question is how much.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. I think virtually every change implemented to CUUSOO / Ideas since it was launched back in 2008 has been a really good one, so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of doubt and hope for the best. But part of me is somewhat concerned that we're about to see the struggle made quite a bit harder for even quality projects, and that we might never see any more review batches again with as many projects as the batch that just closed. But I hope I'm wrong...

I think the new 100 in 60 day rule will largely be a good thing for Ideas. Clearly it's main purpose is to shift Ideas from being "hey everybody look at my MOC!" To the actual presentation forum it was intended to be. It's not an unreasonable goal, but does encourage you to fully develop and refine your proposal and give some thought to core support before you hit publish. Rather than simply pushing out an idea hastily cobbled together in LDD with the intent of developing as you go. It sweeps away huge swaths of the assorted little kid LDD offerings with minimal impact on well presented projects. 

Yeah most oat of us start off viewing the newest. But by culling the 10's of thousands of "little Billy's first LDD" cheesy default background nonsense, it actually makes searching or browsing via other headings viable. You can find the under appreciated gems if you don't have to wade through mountains of chaff. It may hurt the newest entries a little bit if they haven't fully prepped their presentation or thought about how to get to 100. But the counterpoint is it will likely be a huge boost for good stuff that gets forever lost in those 100-5000 vote doldrums that set in after about a week. 

Just now, BrickHat said:

Navigating ideas can sometimes become a hassle

Agree. Actually, I don't do it anymore

@Blondie-Wan always keeps us updated about LEGO Ideas :laugh:

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Yeah it looks really nice but I don't think it will pass the review

I just wish there was an alternate scenario where they would say "we want to make something like this but we're gonna make it smaller", or even better, if they started considering bigger submissions, now that they've had so much success with the ideas line.

Well, they are gradually stepping things up in terms of size/piece count. I think the increase is bound to be gradual no matter how successful the line is overall because of the intrinsic risks of the platform.

4 hours ago, Tragic Banjo said:

Well, they are gradually stepping things up in terms of size/piece count. I think the increase is bound to be gradual no matter how successful the line is overall because of the intrinsic risks of the platform.

What are those intrinsic risks? I've personally been unable to see what prevents them from going to a larger scale at this point.

2 hours ago, BrickHat said:

What are those intrinsic risks? I've personally been unable to see what prevents them from going to a larger scale at this point.

Well, there's only so much space and time to allocate to producing new products, most of which is planned out a year or more in advance. Ideas sets don't have the luxury of that much lead time - they may seem like they take forever to hit the shelves since we're aware of them from the very beginning, but they're on an accelerated timeline relative to most sets - so they're more dependent on how much "wiggle room" there is in the production schedule. There's also the issue of unpredictability that comes from 1) fans being heavily involved in the selection process, and 2) Ideas sets covering such a broad base of themes/demographics that it's probably hard to apply many of the same lessons from one to the next. So all told I could see how it would take a while to be certain enough of a good return on investment to want to go bigger. Something in the 2000-3000 piece range may well happen eventually, I just think they'd want to baby-step to it.

38 minutes ago, Tragic Banjo said:

Well, there's only so much space and time to allocate to producing new products, most of which is planned out a year or more in advance. Ideas sets don't have the luxury of that much lead time - they may seem like they take forever to hit the shelves since we're aware of them from the very beginning, but they're on an accelerated timeline relative to most sets - so they're more dependent on how much "wiggle room" there is in the production schedule. There's also the issue of unpredictability that comes from 1) fans being heavily involved in the selection process, and 2) Ideas sets covering such a broad base of themes/demographics that it's probably hard to apply many of the same lessons from one to the next. So all told I could see how it would take a while to be certain enough of a good return on investment to want to go bigger. Something in the 2000-3000 piece range may well happen eventually, I just think they'd want to baby-step to it.

That was all very informative, Banjo! Thanks a lot. That makes a lot of sense and I guess I am simply not well trained in business matters to know all of this. :tongue: It's good to see that the line has been successful, though. So far, as far as I know, no set has been a failure (although I did hate their rendition of the DeLorean, which I felt was inferior to the original model).

Just thought I'd mention that I had a chat with the Ideas people at the Skærbæk Fan Weekend on Saturday, about the upcoming sets. They had a stand there with the Caterham on display. I haven't seen much about the Apollo 11 Saturn-V anywhere yet, so it came as a nice surprise that they were actually willing to discuss it a bit, specifically the fact that it doesn't seem to have lost any size during the refinement process. According to both representatives I talked to (and they should know what they're talking about) it's "huge" and "more than a metre in length". Which means it's "easily the biggest Ideas set so far".

5 minutes ago, L@go said:

it's "huge" and "more than a metre in length". Which means it's "easily the biggest Ideas set so far".

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

more than 1m?

I am so excited for that. I hope they're right. I'm going to go look up how many feet a meter is because I'm a stupid American who doesn't use the metric system...