I tried the new passenger train yesterday. If you run it on the track that is supplied (not many straights) you better make sure the train station is placed on the inside of the track, otherwise the train's nose will swipe away anything that's waiting for the next train. I find this 'nose radius' a little annoying because surely I will have to change other tracks so it won't get in the way of other trains aswell.

I tried the new passenger train yesterday. If you run it on the track that is supplied (not many straights) you better make sure the train station is placed on the inside of the track, otherwise the train's nose will swipe away anything that's waiting for the next train. I find this 'nose radius' a little annoying because surely I will have to change other tracks so it won't get in the way of other trains aswell.

That would be a problem for me as I have track close to each other and to walls, stations and other things

Edited by SMC

I have managed to get the blue freight train. I have not built all the wagons yet, just the lorry and the engine. Although it is an American style engine it looks OK as I do mind having ones from around the world, it also looks similar to the engines that I have seen when over in Indonesia where my wife is from, which is good so that we have a frame of reference. I plan to adapt the two flat cars to 7 studs wide just to fit with everything else. Not sure If I will make up the cattle wagon, seems a bit poor really, especially as I have some of my own that are much more convincing. I may end up just using it for parts.

The instructions of the LEGO 60051 High-Speed Passenger Train, indicate that you're suppose to put the station on the inside of the track so that there are no issues with the turn.

The instructions of the LEGO 60051 High-Speed Passenger Train, indicate that you're suppose to put the station on the inside of the track so that there are no issues with the turn.

I know, just dont place the track near a wall after a corner or place anything on the outside of a corner if this train is supposed to pass there. I think it puts a considderable limit on the possibilities.

I have ordered the station, and bricklinked some parts to extend the platform length to match my 6 car 7725. An interesting mix of old and new! I wonder how easy it will be to get a spare sticker sheet - I quite fancy adding some lego boxes to the toy department in my grand emporium, as well as using the customer information screens on my other station too!

Make your own stickers......I do that all the time !

The trains are up at S@H for Oz now and guess what they are the same high prices still 6 years running ! :laugh:

80 for the station, 230 for the high speed and cargo comes in at about 300 bucks Oz ! :hmpf_bad:

I have just built most of my Blue cargo train and wagons. The cattle wagon (Poor excuse for one.) was pretty wide anyway but the other two I have converted to be 7 studs wide to fit with the rest of my rolling stock.

Here is the link to my flickr account:-

The recent red 7938: Passenger Train is styled...The 60051: High-Speed Passenger Train doesn't appear to have a distinct replica, however it is based on a very modern, high-speed train, trains which are more current and are being developed now.The only other train that LEGO has created that is similar to this new 60051 train is a train they release in 2006 called 7897, which had many flaws. When I bought it, I was extremely disappointed. So to have this new train is a relief, I love these styles of trains so I'm excited to finally get a high-speed train with a front moulded nose that fits perfectly flush. It feels like LEGO is repaying all those who bought 7897 and were disappointed. LEGO has also been doing large custom moulds for decades. But LEGO will release more trains and styles in the future, so no need to worry c:

Yesterday I "revived" my 7897 train set to my grandson and we had an hours of great fun; of course, everything was working perfectly (and fast with new batteries), and therefore I was a kind of distressed by the comment that 7897 "had many flaws" – any particularly?

I scanned the sticker sheet before I built it, but there is one problem, the lego box stickers are printed on clear, and rely on the blue colouring of the tile to provide the colour. So on the scan they turn out almost all white. I suppose I could scan them once attached to the tile to get the blue, but its still not going to be the greatest of matches. However I asked customer service on Pick a brick and they are able to sell me a couple of extra sets which will be far better than anything I can reproduce.

Just got my delivery of the blue cargo train and a pair of the new stations (to go back-to-back). Looking forward to the build, which I may do as a review.

Yesterday I "revived" my 7897 train set to my grandson and we had an hours of great fun; of course, everything was working perfectly (and fast with new batteries), and therefore I was a kind of distressed by the comment that 7897 "had many flaws" – any particularly?

7897-5.jpg

Wow... Another reason I ain't rushing out to buy this one.

That's a picture of 7897 in 1974's photo above, not 60051. Anyone who has a 60051 care to weigh in on the fit of the single-piece nose?

bjorkan, I believe he was implying that the flaw in 7897 was the gap in between the front mould of the old 2006 train. That was the only flaw. However the new 2014 train, 60051 does not have a gap, it is perfectly designed and engineered.

When I said 7897 had flaws, I did not mean you could not have fun with it :) When I bought mine, I had to take it back because it had two black wheels for the main engine, instead of grey, when I swapped it over for another one, it still had black, so I had to take two grey from the first one I bought. The nose also has a large gap between the front piece and so it aesthetically detracts from the overall presence of the model. I also disliked how the end engine was smaller this taking away the true symmetry of the design. Also the box has numerous false and misleading photographical images, such as there being no gap, yet you can see light coming in, inside the cockpit, indicating that there was a gap but LEGO edited it out, small things like that are what made that set disappointing for me, but I still enjoy it and it still looks great :)

I got the station and built it, and I hope to find the time for a review.

I like a lot the details of the stores and the signs.

It comes with four straights, which is nice, the station itself is three sections long (48 studs): too long, imho, especially since so much space is taken by the support pilons and new connecting pieces, which don't add much.

I'll let it stay for a week or two, then I plan to 'remodel', by adding a back and a second floor.

When I said 7897 had flaws, I did not mean you could not have fun with it :) When I bought mine, I had to take it back because it had two black wheels for the main engine, instead of grey, when I swapped it over for another one, it still had black, so I had to take two grey from the first one I bought. The nose also has a large gap between the front piece and so it aesthetically detracts from the overall presence of the model. I also disliked how the end engine was smaller this taking away the true symmetry of the design. Also the box has numerous false and misleading photographical images, such as there being no gap, yet you can see light coming in, inside the cockpit, indicating that there was a gap but LEGO edited it out, small things like that are what made that set disappointing for me, but I still enjoy it and it still looks great :)

bjorkan, I believe he was implying that the flaw in 7897 was the gap in between the front mould of the old 2006 train. That was the only flaw. However the new 2014 train, 60051 does not have a gap, it is perfectly designed and engineered.

Thanks to both :) fair answer, those were things that we do not expect from Lego :)

safiati posted pics of 7897 vs 60051 side by side on his BrickShelf.

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=543785

I'm thinking it might a good air ambulance copter. :classic:

Just saw dr-spock's (great) photo "http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/safiati/exhibitions/Koki2014/7897vs60051iii.jpg" and they both look perfect, the left one a kind of stronger, wiser and older, and the right one young and full of energy :sweet: if that would be for voting, my point goes to older brother :devil: m.

especially since so much space is taken by the support pilons and new connecting pieces, which don't add much.

I don't see the point of the side pillions myself -they look a little strange. I think I'll remove them, might use them to extend the covered rail section

Just waiting for Amazon.com to stock 2014 train sets

Edited by jtr

I finally saw them both in store this past weekend.

At $200 for the cargo and $150 for the passenger train, I won't be snagging these anytime soon. However I will begin hunting down sales on them :-) I haven't payed full price for a train yet and I'm not going to start now.

the station itself is three sections long (48 studs): too long, imho, especially since so much space is taken by the support pilons and new connecting pieces, which don't add much.

The station is too short if you ask me. The platform isn't long enough for the high speed train.

Are these the new connecting pieces you mean?

6031139.jpg

They're not new; they've been around since the Silver Champion in 2000... ;-)

I'm not blown away by those pilons myself but they're not that bad. It's mean to look like a modern small station with steel supports. To an engineer it'll probably look all wrong but for the target audience I think it achieves the look quite well with just a few parts.