Same here with the low friction problem, not that it's an issue for me, as I mainly display my sets, but I was disappointed when it first happened to me days after I built it. As I was building and testing the set it was working fine. I still really like the set though, it was quite an enjoyable build.

I'm waiting for double VIP points again before I drop the $450 for it as it would effectively save me $45 (10% off) one question I had was does anyone know if it is easy to motorise or whether the interior space was built with that sort of MOC in mind?

you should check his other videos... I love the Millenium Falcon Vacoom ! :D

I picked up the Sandcrawler a few months back, and I have to say it looks incredible. VERY happy that I splurged and picked it up. Aside from building the treads, the build itself was very fun albeit somewhat confusing at times. I think I may have made a minor mistake at some point with the lever that raises and opens the drawbridge as it's fairly difficult to turn and I hear a lot of "clicking" when I turn it which I discovered is because the mechanism is a bit too close to a cross beam in the final build. While building it, I noticed that there were some spots where I had forgotten to fully push in various connectors, and had to back track in order to correct the problem.

I don't know about anybody else here, but for some of my smaller sets in order to "feed the urge" to build a Lego set, I deconstruct them carefully and then re-assemble them. Of course, for things like the connector pins and axles that rely on tight fits to be stable/function properly, this can cause problems after the first assembly. Therefore, I have a large collection of extra connector pins and axles which I use when I re-build a set I've deconstructed. (TLG seems to give out a TON of those as extra pieces). So if/when I deconstruct this I'll pay a bit closer attention and ensure that everything is lined up properly and that the mechanism for opening/closing the front hatch works a bit more smoothly.

I also decided to do a very slight modification to the R5 unit included in the set. A classic scene in A New Hope is when the R5 unit that Owen and Luke were initially going to purchase breaks down causing them to purchase R2-D2 instead. To kind of re-enact this, I added some transparent round 1x1 plates between the main body and the head, and using an x-acto blade I opened up a tiny hole in the very top where the small little protrusion from one of extra fire pieces I got from the Ewok Village will fit. This gives it the look of the unit with the head piece blowing off and fire coming out of the top. (Is there a transparent gray piece that looks like smoke?) I think it really makes the unit look pretty good, and after being a mysterious shadow on the forums for so long, I decided to use the admittedly crappy cell-phone image as my avatar. :D

Edited by Jdurg

looks interesting...

What's the name of the catchy tune at the end of each of his videos? i remember hearing it in a comedy show or animation, but cannot remember.

urgh....

Anyone find or create a full size (the newer wider) info sticker to put on a plaque? I know StarWarsTom made one, but I think it's the stubby one for the old size plagues. Any info or help would be great, I really just need the vector image or outline of the sandcrawler itself. I can create the rest myself. Thanks!

Why isn't there a poll on this review?

(I always wait until I've built a set to vote in the polls...)

Because this is the discussion of the press release, not a review. :wink:

I know I am late to the party, but I finally sat down and completed this one (it was my big VIP invite event purchase this year). I gotta say I am far more impressed than I thought I would be. This is one of those sets that is far more intricate and interesting to build than it appears on the box. It was a wonderfully long build, lasting me a week at my relaxing pace of 2 numbered bag sets / night on the big UCS and creator expert sets. I love how they got all the angles just right. Although at a few points the connections seem strange. It's a great fun and quite spectacular build. I do have a few minor nitpicks though;

- I hate how visable and jarring the light bley technic lift arms that make up the cockpit roof and the side panel hinges are on the roof. They stand out a little too much and would have been a good place for some part recolors to redish brown.

- the yellow tiles for the cockpit windows just don't have enough pop to them. I almost think they would have been better off using printed tile pieces for the windows instead.

- it's probably just me, but I never care for those smaller Lego treads. Mentally I always expect the Sandcrawler to have those larger technic style treads. They just have a better, more massive, feel to them.

Overall well worth the money. One of the best and most iconic SW sets yet made. And the best hybrid yet of a highly detailed UCS model merged with a feature rich minifig playset.

Finally built my set. Heavy impressive beast.

I agree with some of the statements from years ago in this thread,.....to many studs on the exterior.

But what really surprised and disappointed me was the requirement to remove the middle roof to enable the crane to lift items in and out of the Sandcrawler. Surely a sliding roof or hatch would have been more appropriate and sensible?

I know I am very late to the party on this set,...but the issue really bugged me. I don't suppose someone come up with a solution to make the set more realistic and fun play with??

Still one of my favourite sets of all time. There was someone who tiled it up a bit and reworked the top and engine area and it looked fantastic. I’ve often thought of doing the same. 

@PBRStreetgang you are definitely right. The set is great but I also think it could need a liitle work here and there. THIS is the mod @TwoSolitudes was referring to. @adamski made an awesome job. I Tried to copy his modifications but didn’t got far yet. I wold love to see new ideas to this one!

On 12/8/2019 at 9:15 PM, stifos said:

@PBRStreetgang you are definitely right. The set is great but I also think it could need a little work here and there. THIS is the mod @TwoSolitudes was referring to. @adamski made an awesome job. I Tried to copy his modifications but didn’t got far yet. I wold love to see new ideas to this one!

That's the one. Really nice. I'm now inspired to count up the tiles from the photos and see about a brick link order....