Rufus

News The LEGO Movie: 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Its now showing in the search on our Australian Lego Shop at home for AU$389.99 - thats equivalent of $US352.30 - now thats piracy on a big scale!

Its now showing in the search on our Australian Lego Shop at home for AU$389.99 - thats equivalent of $US352.30 - now thats piracy on a big scale!

That is criminal! Sorry, I am just very annoyed. This looks like one of the best LEGO Movie sets IMO and I may never be able to buy it! Wall E not happy :damn:.

That is criminal! Sorry, I am just very annoyed. This looks like one of the best LEGO Movie sets IMO and I may never be able to buy it! Wall E not happy :damn:.

Yep, for me it went from a must buy to "I don't think I'd even buy it at 20% off if it makes it to the midyear sales here". Also when they set the prices it's quite possible the Aus $ was 10% higher against the US$ than it is now.

I love steampunk and pirate ships, have a decent disposable income so I imagine I would be Lego's target market, however there is no way I would consider paying anything like this price. I wonder who this will appeal to in Australia, the parents that just can't say no to their kids and are forever in debt because of this, the very wealthy and those that aren't real smart with their money are the only groups I can imagine purchasing this.

Edited by Hewman

The Swedish Price is 2799 SEK - or 433(!) USD and 259 GBP.

I'm genuinly mad. Why do we in Sweden have to pay almost DOUBLE the price that the english does? We're both in Europe, not that far away either.

It's especially disappointing that Benny's helmet is broken and his torso has the scratched-paint look.

I think it's freakin' awesome. The broken helmet and scratched-up torso are a *huge* throwback nod to the fans - a large percentage of viewers won't even get it, but for those of us who played with LEGO in the 80s, it's like going back in time. Those helmets always broke and the printing always got scratched.

The LEGO Movie sets are supposed to be over-the-top, tongue-firmly-in-cheek. If you were expecting a dead-serious exact duplication of Classic Space... well, no.

Edited by polarscribe

I find it interesting to see all the praise about this set. I know for sure that my wife would never let me buy this one or would find it ridiculous. As a matter of fact, she tolerates my display of the modular houses, grand carousel, taj mahal, etc... but if I was to buy this one, I am 90% sure she will never allow me to display it.

I am waiting to see the parts the set includes but at first sight, only the gold piece interest me. I have enough brown and I rarely use the Technic pieces.

Ordered one! It's 250 euros in the Netherlands, just like Germany, No +20 Benelux ripoffs this time.

On the other hand, glad I don't live in Finland. (300E)

Edited by joopsta

While nowhere near as big as the 'model' that appears in the movie, this set is ruddy huge and beautiful! I'm not as niffed as I thought I'd be with the smaller Metal Beard, either. After seeing how they deal with sizing and 'far away' things in the actually Lego movie it's self. Loved the mini model of The Seacow with the "bvrrrrrrr" sound effects, ha ha ha. And every time I see Benny I just crease up thinking about his screaming "SPACESHIP!" when he's finally allowed to build one.

2741 pieces :O

well actually every 100 pieces is i think 100 dollars.

Which means it should be 270 dollars.

I think 250 is a nice price for 2741 pieces.

I salute the designers. This is how an enthusiastic child would built a ship. Many cannons, exaggerated proportions, FLAK-cannons, some weird propellor, a pirate mech and yes, a cow, needs to be at the bow. So wonderfully creative. I have not seen the movie yet, but this makes me want to see it even more.

Ordered mine today! I went back and forth on it a bit due to the price tag, especially considering there are other expensive sets I've put off getting that are getting older and possibly retiring. In the end the overall wackiness of it sold me. Seeing the movie again yesterday certainly helped to gently nudge me in this direction. :laugh: I have a couple of pirate ships on display above my television in the living room, I can't wait to see how this will look sitting next to (and dwarfing!) the Black Pearl.

Ordered mine...I didn't really look at the price tag it just looked so cool I had to have it!

Dear Lego

Here is my credit card

Have Fun

Love Miss TotallyAddictedToLego (must be better than owning lots of shoes/handbag)

I may need a loft conversion shortly!

Looks brilliant! I definite buy for me! :wub:

Although I do worry about how well the full size metalbeard will fit in with this? As long as I can squeeze him in at the helm it's fine.

Can anybody who has it tell me how many bags are in it, what number they go up to, what each one builds, and where the mini figures come in? Thanks.

I just picked up my copy at the Austin, TX, USA LEGO Store and am really excited to build it.

6 firing cannons? Yes please.

Unfortunately, they didn't have any remaining bags of 30280: The Piece of Resistance.

So, I guess I'll have to go without that one. :(

Oh well... Serves me right.

I now know to just order via lego.com in the future if it's later in the month in order to get any of the free sets.

I just got mine today at my local lego store, they even gave me 2 bags of the piece of resistance, since it was an expensive purchase. Good thing they let me become a VIP member at the same day,the store manager was really nice.

I cant wait to build it! :D

Edited by brickken

I think that it looks like quite a good model with nice details. The price tag is a but too hefty for me, but that's not to say that I won't consider shelling out for it. I would be very interested in seeing if anyone could MOD this into a more classic style Pirate ship!

The Swedish Price is 2799 SEK - or 433(!) USD and 259 GBP.

I'm genuinly mad. Why do we in Sweden have to pay almost DOUBLE the price that the english does? We're both in Europe, not that far away either.

I'm not an expert but Lego doesnt price items as they please. Usually the custom's fees, VAT, wages and overheads, and other regulations have something to do with it.

I'm not an expert but Lego doesnt price items as they please. Usually the custom's fees, VAT, wages and overheads, and other regulations have something to do with it.

I'd love to know exactly what it is in this case.

Here in Australia The Tower of Orthanc works out to 11.8 cents a piece.

Rescue Reinforcements from the Movie line is 11.6 cents a piece.

Whilst MetalBeard's SeaCow is 14.2 cents a piece.

Well, price-per-piece isn't a very reliable metric no matter which country you're in. In the case of this set, as has been stated numerous times in this topic, the price-per-piece will be inflated because it uses ship hulls, tons of Technic panels, and other large and expensive parts. The Tower of Orthanc's largest parts were the plates used for the floors, and Rescue Reinforcements doesn't have many large parts either.

A better metric is typically price per gram of plastic. How much does it weigh? And how does that compare to the other sets?

I got to hold the box today!! (I know exciting, right?)

It is about the size of the Tower Bridge's box, but the Sea Cow feels legitimately packed to the seams. I'm gonna wait out for x2 VIP points for this purchase, but what a wonderful date that will be!!!

The wife and kids are fast asleep. Down the basement stairs I creep.

I open the box and stifle a "WOW!" I have all damn night to build the Sea Cow!