Sir Brickalot

Brick Separators!

I've got one of the old green ones and 12 of the new orange ones plus a few more in sets that haven't been built yet. I didn't really use them too much at first but I have come to rely on them more and more lately. They really are a useful tool!

Just wondering, are seperators regularly included in sets only in specific countries? (e.g. the US) Take 79005 The Wizard Battle for instance:

79005-1.jpg

It is pictured here as including one, only my set didn't have it? In fact, the only sets I've ever gotten one in are 79003 and 21103. Why is this? Bear in mind I live in Canada.

As far as I know, sets are the same with regards to the inclusion/exclusion of a separator. Country makes no difference.

I bought that set from a Lego brand store in the UK and I don't recall it containing a separator. Where is the picture from?

As far as I know, sets are the same with regards to the inclusion/exclusion of a separator. Country makes no difference.

I bought that set from a Lego brand store in the UK and I don't recall it containing a separator. Where is the picture from?

S@H has the same photos. Excluding 79005 all wave two LOTR sets are pictured with one. Seems misleading to me. But then again it doesn't bother me; I'm simply curious.

S@H has the same photos. Excluding 79005 all wave two LOTR sets are pictured with one. Seems misleading to me. But then again it doesn't bother me; I'm simply curious.

I think it was just an error in the image. I don't remember my set coming with one either. think the sets need to be $49.99 or $59.99 or more (can't remember which) to include a separator.

I think it was just an error in the image. I don't remember my set coming with one either. think the sets need to be $49.99 or $59.99 or more (can't remember which) to include a separator.

Ah that makes sense.

So far I only have 2-3, 2 of the new ones and an old one from a flea market score of older bulk bricks.

I had a very old (grey?) one which came with my very first Lego set, but I recently bought 10224 Town Hall and got the orange one which came with that.

I have two of the new orange ones, one old dark gray and some in unopened sets. And I just recently realized that the point end on new ones is for tiles :blush:

...use their teeth to take things apart. I wonder if it will have an effect on the amount chewed up bricks we see in the aftermarket down the line.

Guilty as charged! :-) ;-) :-)

I counted and I've got 12 orange and 1 green one. They put one in all the bigger sets. They have them to buy I noticed for $2.49.

Guilty as charged! :-) ;-) :-)

Ha ha, me too.

As for the back end (the flat pointy one) getting dinged up, I prefer that it gets dinged up than my bricks (coming from the guy who just admitted to using his teeth!). I will always get another separator in the next set, anyway.

I have 3 (4?) new orange, and two of the old dark grey. As kids we used to pretend the grey ones were sharks (because we only had one actual LEGO shark). I'm not sure the pirate figs were fooled, though.

I wouldn't mind scoring a whole bunch of orange to try MOCing with.

Got my first brick separator in May.... But I don't use it and I scratches smaller bricks with my nails :look:

Still I don't see how a brick separator can separate two 1x2 plate...

Got my first brick separator in May.... But I don't use it and I scratches smaller bricks with my nails :look:

Still I don't see how a brick separator can separate two 1x2 plate...

For separating two small plates, you need to use two separators, the first one attached to top studs, the second one to indentations in the bottom of the second plate (See picture below, couldn't find one with newer separators, but principle is the same).

brick-separator-two-plates.jpg

Now, I often just attach a separator to top studs and push the lower plate with my fingertip to remove it, but two separator technique if awesome for separating large amounts of plates...

EDIT: I can't grammar.

Edited by MikroMan

Thanks for the tip. :wink:

I should receive a second brick separator in the next days, so I'll try that. Got a lot of sorting to do, and even more if I dismantle my Zenith spaceship...

I opened a kit last night and hit a mile stone, my hundredth orange brick separator :wacko:

When they first started adding these I thought it was an interesting gimmick, now it's starting to be a little ridiculous. I wish they'd at least mix up the color a little more to make the part more useful as a brick in a MOC, maybe one color per year. I bet a dozen or so in a row alternating Earth Blue and White would make a nice canopy for a modular building.

They come for free, so what's wrong with them?

And, they can be bought if your country has a Lego shop (either phisical or online): see here.

How many do I have? 1 + some lying in still-to-be-opened sets (I guess three)

2.49 EUR for that ? I'm rich !

Just had the chance to use one of these when building with a friend's bricks.

They are so worthy having. :laugh: Freedom from all frustration while building.

I have 2 orange ones (one as a backup). All the other ones I get get thrown in the resale bin. If I sell multiple batches of Lego I try to put a separator in each one.

I love these things! And it's great so many kids have them now! This will surely mean less teethmarks down the road.