CopMike

New parts in 2014

It holds the ball joint. This is awesome. Need to get hold of some of those!

They should be useful for building complex angles into models, but unfortunately are unlikely to be useful for Technic suspensions - the joint has a lot of friction in it.

These are the new hinges introduced with the LEGO Mixels.

They also appear in the Chima Legend Beasts, especially 70123 and 70127.

What is that set supposed to be?

Edit: I should have reloaded the page before I replied. Now I see the answer. I seriously thought it was a Technic set. It looks awesome!

Edited by jodawill

Just opened my "Piece of Resistance" (30280) free polybag and noticed an odd piece:

15444.jpg

There is not a part inventory yet for set 30280, but the new piece is #15444 and is in at least 4 sets (the 3 listed, plus the polybag).

It's interesting as a stud fits in the upper level hole, it's at a different level than a headlight brick would have the same back hole. It could be used for light standards, architectural elements, railroad crossing signage, as well as fences, etc.

Just thought I'd share!

I don't know if it really qualifies as a spoiler alert, but...

That's the Piece of Resistance.

I don't know if it really qualifies as a spoiler alert, but...

That's the Piece of Resistance.

WHAT NOOOOOOOO! Movie RUINED!!!

Just kidding I saw it already hahaha.

Yeah, haven't watched the movie, and it is in fact the "piece of resistance", but it's cool in it's own right as a new element, will likely allow for some new interesting SNOT. I searched a little and couldn't find a mention of it, but if another "piece of resistance" thread exists, please merge it.

It will be interesting to see some of the uses that people will come up with for that piece. It can be effectively used as an opposite or negative version of the classic 1x1 with stud on 1 side.

87087.jpg?1

So it will allow for some interesting geometries. But it is still kind of oddly positioned for much common use.

What I wish is that the stud for Emmet's back had been at the bottom of the brick, not the top. In the film, when Emmet is trying to put the POR back where it belongs, it's facing in the other direction on his back. To make it accurate, the stud has to be down and the female stud-connector should be up. However, trying to put it on the figure that way is impossible, because Emmet's hair and head are in the way. Groan.

What I wish is that the stud for Emmet's back had been at the bottom of the brick, not the top. In the film, when Emmet is trying to put the POR back where it belongs, it's facing in the other direction on his back. To make it accurate, the stud has to be down and the female stud-connector should be up. However, trying to put it on the figure that way is impossible, because Emmet's hair and head are in the way. Groan.

That's not quite right. The stud isn't accurate no matter what side it's on. Of course, to explain why I have to go into spoilers:

The Piece of Resistance in the movie doesn't have ANY stud, because it's not really a LEGO piece. It's the top to a tube of Krazy Glue.

Edited by Dufresne

Well, yeah, I knew that but didn't want to quite spoil it. That does add a layer of weirdness to the movie toy sets, because several of them come with brick-built versions of real-world objects that are "real" in the film. Plus, the real version of the Kragle doesn't even look like it does in the film; the design has changed since then.

I do wonder

why the Krazy Glue people aren't doing an advertising tie-in to The Lego Movie. I mean, they're getting free advertising out of the movie, but still, their web page and Facebook page are doing no cross-promotion. This movie should be a moneymaker for them, but they're not touching it. Weird.

Well, yeah, I knew that but didn't want to quite spoil it. That does add a layer of weirdness to the movie toy sets, because several of them come with brick-built versions of real-world objects that are "real" in the film. Plus, the real version of the Kragle doesn't even look like it does in the film; the design has changed since then.

I do wonder

why the Krazy Glue people aren't doing an advertising tie-in to The Lego Movie. I mean, they're getting free advertising out of the movie, but still, their web page and Facebook page are doing no cross-promotion. This movie should be a moneymaker for them, but they're not touching it. Weird.

It's not exactly portrayed positively in the movie. And certainly not viewed upon positively in the Lego community.

Spoiler-filled photo ahead!

DSC05589_zps361ddc36.jpg

So here's Emmet with the PoR and an actual Krazy Glue cap. The PoR brick looks to be about 75% of the size of an actual "Kragle" cap, unless Krazy Glue comes in an even smaller package. To my knowedge, this is the smallest size that Krazy Glue comes in. It's close, but not quite accurate to life.

On the other hand, this photo suggests to me that the PoR brick is accurate to the film, not to life. In real life, the brick goes from just below the bottom of Emmet's hairline to just below his waist joint. That's about how big it is in the film as well. My best guess is that in Finn's imagination, the Kragle cap is smaller than it is in real life.

Looking at the film versus the minifigure though, I do wish that Emmet's back clip had come in either orange (to blend into his outfit) or transparent-clear (to give the appearance of glue). The standard bley kind of detracts from the illusion now that we know what the PoR is.

I do wish that Emmet's back clip had come in either orange (to blend into his outfit) or transparent-clear

Great idea. Trans-clear would be awesome...