sin

Bricklinking Modular Buildings

I love that!!! great job!

Thanks! I'm really pleased about how it turned out. I finished it late last night and just took a quick photo to share- I hope to get some better pictures...

Duchessa, that's exactly what I have in mind. I am also planning to use tan 1 x 8 arches - it looks good on yours. The use of the black hoses is also a smart move, which looks right on the model - the white ones are currently going for US$12.00 a piece on BL (B+P doesn't even list them for Market Street!) but they're about US$0.12 each in black - and I have enough in my collection already.

I bought some white hoses with tabs (think that's the name) and replaced the black ones. Don't think anyone will ever notice :)

Also: I bought my Cafe Corner used (aka built once) incomplete from a collector and bricklinked the missing pieces. The seller said there would be some extra parts in the box.. and there was. Among them one extra dark blue arch and 12 extra 1x2x3 white panels with hollow studs. I have no particular use for them, so if someone here would like to trade or buy - let me know. I haven't written much here, but you can check my Bricklink feedback, or perhaps someone remember the days when I moderated on FBTB (just so you know I'm a serious seller/trader).

Edited by Duchessa

Cafe Grey

15790541511_40e5c51f98_n.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. An entire street of Gray-scale would be phenomenal. I think I'll try the Haunted House in gray-scale - thinking an HH in Mearsk Blue and Dark Red might actually be affordable is losing ground with me.

Have you seen this before? "Lego Fan in Sad City" (Credit to Anne Mette V - Thank you.) I had a a grand reaction to it fist time I stumbled across it:

9525176448_e9ccc23993.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...57635100194498/

I believe there is a thread somewhere here dedicated to it; search function didn't reveal it yet, though.

Edited by notaromantic

I believe there is a thread somewhere here dedicated to it; search function didn't reveal it yet, though.

Here you go.

I bought some white hoses with tabs (think that's the name) and replaced the black ones. Don't think anyone will ever notice :)

Thats what I did, and so far no-one has noticed!

If anyone is looking for them for their GG project, I will be listing 52 sand green 1x2 groove bricks sometime this week.

If anyone is looking for them for their GG project, I will be listing 52 sand green 1x2 groove bricks sometime this week.

Yes, i'm looking for those bricks

Edited by NgRO

Heres a tip for everyone struggling with the price of the bley turntables in the cafe corner: you can use a 2x2 tile with center stud instead for 3 of the 4.

Hi, i finally can say i'm also the owner of all modular buildings :classic: :classic: :classic:

Green Grocery - mint condition 500 euro complete

Cafe Corner and Market street - pieced together using PaB, B&P and Bricklink together for total 469,23 euro, including shipping

I think i did good :grin:

here's my completed BL and Modified CC:

15910963776_6e1119f904_b.jpg

- Variations of windows and door parts

- Some colour swapping

- Modded Tile area

- Black roof

- No Hotel sign (not a fan of it)

I might slowly update it to be just like an original, but im in no rush. It's 90% of the way there and Im happy. only cost me $120 on BL in extra parts

here's my completed BL and Modified CC:

- Variations of windows and door parts

- Some colour swapping

- Modded Tile area

- Black roof

- No Hotel sign (not a fan of it)

I might slowly update it to be just like an original, but im in no rush. It's 90% of the way there and Im happy. only cost me $120 on BL in extra parts

That looks great!

I'd love to see pictures of your roads. I see a peak at them in that picture. Always interested to see how people handle them. :-)

Can anyone explain which (and how many of each) sand blue bricks I need to buy, as replacements for all the sand green bricks in the GG?

I know that there has never been made any 1x3 sand blue bricks for example

Edited by Lorentzen

I am gathering the pieces to build Market Street. The dark blue bricks are extremely expensive, and I have chosen instead to use regular blue. In my version the dark blue arches will be replaced by tan arches (of which I already have 3, and they are very cheap on BL), which match the rest of the market part on the left.

The dark blue arches are pretty inexpensive these days. Only around $2, use to be around $25-30

The dark blue arches are pretty inexpensive these days. Only around $2, use to be around $25-30

Better still buy direct from lego, currently available at 59p each in the UK Bricks and Pieces.

Can anyone explain which (and how many of each) sand blue bricks I need to buy, as replacements for all the sand green bricks in the GG?

Why not just study the set inventory as listed on Bricklink, Brickset, etc.?

Well since I can't replace the 1x3 sand green bricks with 1x3 sand blue (because they don't exits) I was wondering how other people had figured out exactly which sand blue bricks would end up giving the same result as having the sand green ones

Edited by Lorentzen

I know that there has never been made any 1x3 sand blue bricks for example

I did replace the sand green with sand blue on the facade (as you can see if you closely inspect the image), but i can't remember exactly how many bricks i needed. Mainly the bricks with groove and some smaller.

For the sides you might as well use another color. Best way to figure out your needed bricks, is go is try it in LDD or with the instructions.

End result was this: https://www.flickr.c...tnl/6116845810/

6116845810_8dd4a4af22_z.jpg

As for rebuilding the Cafe Corner. Most fun (i guess) is making the puzzle and collecting the pieces.

I ended up selling my Cafe Corner and creating something myself based on the Cafe corner. Way cheaper and more fun.

(And also makes it easier to let the kids play with it, instead of a $750 Cafe corner set).....

Edited by DutchTreat

I have changed all 56 sand green 1x2 bricks w. groove into sand blue, and then bought a bucket load of 1x1, 1x2 and 1x4, 1x6 sand blues - I will report back when I know how it all adds up :)

Well, I am finally reaching the end of my Green Grocer journey. The problem is that the only pieces I have left to purchase are the modified 1x2s. Ouch. I'm having a horrible time trying to pull the trigger on those. Anyone else have difficulty paying the going rate for some of these rare bricks? Did anyone get a particularly good deal on those modified bricks?

Well, I am finally reaching the end of my Green Grocer journey. The problem is that the only pieces I have left to purchase are the modified 1x2s. Ouch. I'm having a horrible time trying to pull the trigger on those. Anyone else have difficulty paying the going rate for some of these rare bricks? Did anyone get a particularly good deal on those modified bricks?

I set bricklink to notify my immediately when any were posted in my price level and acted quickly! I paid about $1.10 per brick back in september. still a lot.

Well, I have finally decided that maybe it is time to own a GG. My strategy with the sand greens is to probably tack on a few pieces at a time to any given Bricklink order. For example, I will buy a batch of other parts and maybe add 5-10 of the rare sand greens to it to keep from paying a huge amount of money on any given order. Eventually, I should accumulate enough to make the model. My focus will begin on the bottom floor, which does not have too many rare parts and make sure I can order at least a few sand greens with each order. That way, when I get to the expensive second and third level, I already have a head start and will not be left with 50 1x8's to try and get. I feel the need to try and knock out as many of the rares in advance since they are only getting more scarce. For now, the first 20 sand green 1x4's are on the way bundled with a Bricklink order to finish a current MOC. Then, I will go through my spare parts and see what I already have.

Seeing that most of you are glad you followed through, it only makes sense to try and have one while it is still possible.

Wow, great thread. I am also a late comer to the modular scene and I have managed to secure new sets of everything except CC, GG and MS. I did wonder If it was worth building it this way, now I know. I have noticed some of you building CC and GG at the same time, I assume this is to cut down on shipping costs? Any tips on where on the parts list to start or should I just hold my nose, close my eyes and jump?

Edited by Lankygit