ritzcrackerman

Favorite Winter Village set?

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite Winter Village Set?

• 10199 Winter Village Toy Shop
    • 10216 Winter Village Bakery
    • 10222 Winter Village Post Office
    • 10229 Winter Village Cottage
    • 10235 Winter Village Market
  2. 2. Which is your least favourite Winter Village Set?

• 10199 Winter Village Toy Shop
    • 10216 Winter Village Bakery
    • 10222 Winter Village Post Office
    • 10229 Winter Village Cottage
    • 10235 Winter Village Market

I finally got around to pulling out the holiday decorations yesterday, and set up my Winter Village. What a great feeling it is every year to open up my dedicated tub and set up my tableau of winter sets!

It's gotten now to where it's so big, I'm going to have to find a new way to display it. Currently, they're arranged on top of my piano, but I've run out of room!

So my question is: Which Winter Village set is your favorite? Least favorite? And why?

As a reminder, the 5 "official" winter sets (excluding polybags & exclusives) are:

10199 - Winter Village Toy Shop (2009)

10216 - Winter Village Bakery (2010)

10222 - Winter Village Post Office (2011)

10229 - Winter Village Cottage (2012)

10235 - Winter Village Market (2013)

My favorite: I have really become fond of the Winter Village Cottage. It was a delightful build, the color scheme (light blue, gold, dark brown, some splashes of red/green) is not necessarily traditional but it works, and I love the roof with with the heavy dense snow effect over the eaves. The interior details are also perfect - tiled floor, fireplace, grandpa sitting by the fire with a newspaper, etc. This has grown to my favorite of the pack. Even the mini builds (igloo, wood shed/shop, and snow plow) add to the Winter Village and aren't just redundant structures. This set made me the happiest when I pulled it out, and has really grown on me. Don't forget the little sled (creative use of parts), and a perfect Stihl chainsaw.

Least favorite: I still think the Winter Village Post Office is the "odd duck" out of the five. The post office van (like the red truck Brick Friday freebie this year) doesn't work as a 6-wide vehicle with 4-wide windshield. The stickers have peeled a bit and the french horn design is uninspired. The pavillion, although creatively designed, doesn't add to the set and its playability is limited as the techniques used to get the angles on the sides make it difficult to put more than one minifigure inside it. And let's not forget, why would a boy have a green hoodie with a grey shirt? Or a small boy playing outside with overalls but no winter coat? I kind of feel this set has the least unifying thematic designs across the board, unfortunately. And the ugliest street lamp design of all five.

Anyways, please post and comment!

I think I'd have to second the nod to the Winter Village Cottage as the best of the breed. It just _feels_ right. I set up my winter village under my Christmas tree each year and you look at that set and it looks so at home there. You half expect carolers to come by and start singing Silent Night or something.

As for my least favorite of the pack, as much as I _appreciate_ the carousel, the winter market just doesn't do it for me. The "market" concept isn't what I'm after in a Christmas set (and for me, it is a Christmas set - I welcome others to view it as whatever they please (Hanukkah, Saturnalia, Bodhi, Dongzhi, Yalda, Modraniht, Kwanzaa, Hogmanay, Malkh, or whatever traditions are near and dear to you in the dark days of winter - I'm certain I've forgotten a few...)). As a set, the carousel is nice but doesn't really fit my vision for what i want my winter village to be, and the misc. vender stands are just clutter builds - I'd rather they were polybag sets and the carousel were marketed as a stand-alone kit for a lower price.

I see your points about the post office, but with minor tweaking I can _make_ that one work so it sort of blends in. The market, however, remains the (rotating) elephant in the room - like that scene in Love Actually where the kids are dressed up like lobsters in the school's nativity play - nice, creative, fun lobsters, but lobsters none-the-less.

I see your points about the post office, but with minor tweaking I can _make_ that one work so it sort of blends in. The market, however, remains the (rotating) elephant in the room - like that scene in Love Actually where the kids are dressed up like lobsters in the school's nativity play - nice, creative, fun lobsters, but lobsters none-the-less.

I LOL'd at this.

I would like to hear other AFOL perspectives on the significance of a "winter market." I for one love to visit quaint villages during the holidays, where I can window shop and go indoors to brick-and-mortar storefronts to escape the cold. The prospect of outdoor carnival food and a carousel during the winter just sounds cold.

I agree also with the vendor stands. When I was done with the cottage, I felt like it was a $100 set. When I finished the market, I was like "that was $100?"

The cottage is not only my favorite Winter Village set, but one of my favorite sets in any theme. The fantastic small builds, the detail on the inside, the color scheme, and the playability of the truck, igloo, etc. is off the charts, and it's a great overall value at $100. I've only been out of the dark ages for a little over a year, but I would put it right up there with the Emerald Night and Fire Brigade as being among the best overall sets I've seen.

I prefer the Post Office and Toy Shop to the Bakery, but don't have the market yet, so cannot comment on that one.

Well my favourite winter set eh ?

Hmm, which one I enjoyed building the most.......toss up I sorry to say between the bakery and cottage. :blush:

Worst.......toy shop, if memory serves correct it's roof caused me no end of trouble....for some odd reason that escapes me right now. :blush:

Maybe this should have an actual poll added to the topic ? :wink:

Maybe this should have an actual poll added to the topic ? :wink:

Vote away!

I love all the winter village sets. My favorite is the cottage, because of the good assortment of parts, it was very fun to build with my family, and it seems to capture the holiday spirit better than the other sets do.

My least faavorite (which wasn't an easy decision to make) is the Market. It is not the worst by far, but it does seem a little out of place with the usual sets, despite that it looks great as a display near the center of the village. It does lack a function, such as a light brick or sound brick. The carousel function was great but it didn't give the shine that light bricks do (pun intended).

My favorite is still the Toy Shop. It's a perfect stand alone set- notice how it was not called "Winter Village" so if it bombed, no one would wonder where the rest of the village was. It really encompassed all of the Holiday Spirit into a single set- Christmas Tree, carollers, toys, etc. I also really like the bakery and post office- those three sets go together perfectly. I do not own the cottage or market, as they just don't seem to fit in as good. I feel like the scale was turned up a bit, as the cottage is pretty big compared to the previous releases. I would have preferred the cottage as two small dwellings instead of one. The price point on the last two releases also bothered me, as $60-70 was a comfortable range. Don't get me wrong, though- Least favorite does not mean a bad set, and I think both the cottage and market look like great builds!

So far I own all of them and love all of them. I'd say the toy shoppe is my favorite because of the balance of everything included. I love the color scheme, the big tree, the carolers, the train toy..

I am one of the few that lies the market, but I chose it as least favorite only because it is a hard sell for me. I don't want to do carnival stuff out in the snow, maybe fall. The carousel is awesome and I love the play feature, but it didn't feel like a $100 set to be either. I don't mind the market stalls, but the pieces might have been better used elsewhere. But I'm thankful for the dark blue arch coming back.

The rest looked great together, but I agree the cottage, as great as it looks, is a bit oversized compared to the rest. The bakery is a little lackluster, but it is a good size and I like the outdoor addition. The post office is a really neat building, but stands out due to the lack of snow on the roof. Otherwise it fits in great with the rest at that scale.

But the winter village series is one theme I will buy sight unseen every year. Them and the modular series.

My favorite is the post office. I like the design of the building with its round windows and authentic old tyme business feel. It is also the only post office I have in my LEGOLAND! The postal truck, ice hanging off the roof, and band under the gazebo are all details that capture the feel of the winter collection. Granted the roof didn't fit with the bakery and toy shop when it was released but now that doesn't seem to matter much with the super snow packed roof of the cottage and similarly bare market stall roofs.

The cottage is a great set and a close second though I feel like it is a bit big for the series. The detail inside is incredible and the set is very worth the price.

Like many others have said the market just doesn't quite cut it compared to the others. I like the amount of minifigures but it feels lacking overall for $100.

If all LEGO themes were done in the same quality as the winter theme I would be broke. Even the less well received sets are extremely well done and capture the essence of LEGO building and creativity.

In order my favorites are..

10199 - Winter Village Toy Shop (2009)

10216 - Winter Village Bakery (2010)

10235 - Winter Village Market (2013)

10222 - Winter Village Post Office (2011)

10229 - Winter Village Cottage (2012)

The WV Cottage is a great set, and a great build but the scale seems too large compared to the first 3 sets and a cottage really does't fit as well into a WV display (for me) I would like it better if all the sets were businesses. I also don't really care for the motorized vehicles like the Postal Van or the snowplow.

We need a ski lodge and a relaxing area for hot chocolate after a long day skiing or shopping or playing in the market. Maybe some hotel rooms.

Andy D

The original Winter Village Toy Shop is still a classic to me. I think the building (excluding the tree) catches the spirit of a Xmassy theme. Others are okay but less holiday-like. My second favorite goes to the Post Office. The office, van and gazebo are very original, though there are still flaws like OP said.

Market is a debatable addition. I think it's creative to come up a set without a major building (thought not many AFOL's wish). However it's not really winter/holiday-like, and I don't think it looks close to what a real tradtional market is.

Edited by Dorayaki

My favorite is the Bakery, but it is hard to explain why.It has the most appealing lamppost design, the warm light of the oven is very christmasish to me. The horse cart is a nice addition too. At the bottom of my list is what a favorite of many of you: the cottage. The decor is nice, but it is just a plain house. I love where the building is stuffed with items which you can by or see, but here are only furniture. But I love the firewood/tool-shed.

So my favorite is the bakery with the tool-shed. And the music pavilion from the Post Office. And the stalls from the Market. :laugh:

I also really like the bakery, although the cottage is a great set as well.

I wish they would re release the holiday train again!

Tbh I looked in detail at photos of the Holiday Train, and as a model, it's actually completely rubbish. Yes, as a Christmas set it's nice and festive, but the locomotive is just terrible, so I definitely wouldn't want a re-release. I might MOC a more up-to-date train in festive colours (Red, green and white), but I certainly don't want them to waste a production slot by re-releasing the same set.

I only own three of the sets in the series. I have Toy Shop, Bakery and Cottage. (I missed getting the Post Office before it retired)

I would have to say my favorite is probably the Cottage. But it's a tough choice. I love all three of the ones I have.

The one I like the least is the Market. It doesn't appeal to me at all and I probably won't buy it.

I hope that next year they can return to the size/price range of the first three sets. As much as I like the Cottage, the >$100 level definitely makes it less affordable and it felt like it had much more detail than necessary. (The interior details were great, but for a static display setting it's not that useful IMO).

The toy shop is my favorite, and it was just reassembled today after our big move back to the USA. It's a beauty with all the right elements. The kid looking longingly thru the window is me! It was nice to wash the pieces, and get all that Beijing dust off of them.

I like the smallishness of the first three, but am hoping they're building up to some truly awesome models in coming years such as a new holiday train and train station. The cottage is my least favorite as it doesn't match the shops. It's a ski resort on my layout.

Joe

Edited by Hey Joe

I don't think we'll get back to the sizes of the first three, but I do think they'll keep it around the size and price of the market, which is fine for me.

I have all except the newest market set. Toy shop is my favorite as it captures the spirit of Christmas most. As for the market, I won't ever buy it if it weren't part of the winter village theme. I am kinda holding to next year to see what the next will be. If the next set is the same as the market, high price and unattractive, I will have the reason to stop collecting the whole series of winter village.

Toy shop is the best in my mind. It's has everything that Christmas should be.

I like every set in winter village because scene + minifigures look happy all around. :wub: But this year at the market it seem to be least. :look:

The original Winter Village Toy Shop is still a classic to me. I think the building (excluding the tree) catches the spirit of a Xmassy theme.

Toy shop is the best in my mind. It's has everything that Christmas should be.

I think it's clear they initially planned this as a one-off set, instead of an annual release. They managed to cram so much stereotypically Christmas stuff into that one set.

^ Yes I think that's clear from the name of it on the box: 'Winter Toy Shop'. Note that everything after that was 'Winter Village...'

I don't think we'll get back to the sizes of the first three

I hope you're wrong about that... I thought the approximate size & cost of the first three was about right.