A couple of months ago I restarted my Lego addiction with the Star Wars line, but I've always been sortof interested in the Technic sets as well.. My most recent Technic set is 16 years old (8432 Concept Car) and while browsing the current Technic sets I've noticed that they seem to have improved a lot over the last 15 years. :)

I'd like to get back into Technic (a bit) and experiment with RC cars.. These 2 sets caught my attention the most:

* 42000 Grand Prix Racer (Found one (sealed) for 70€)

* 9398 4x4 Crawler

While the Crawler is quite expensive (179,99€), I have enough VIP points to get it to a more interesting price point (-50€) and it has the RC functions I'm interested in. Still, the Grand Prix Racer has a (much) more interesting price tag currently and I'm not sure how long it'll stay at that price. Most other stores list it as +90€ and even though I'm not a F1 fan, I like the look of the set and I've seen pictures of a custom RC version here on EB, so it can be done. :)

Which set would you recommend for a Technic newbie? I build my sets to keep them on display. In case I'd go for the 42000 I'm considering to build the set as Lego intended and try to RC mod it. And when I'm tired of it I'll use the parts for some experimenting (which will take a while, I don't get tired of any set easily). Is there a cheaper set that you'd recommend for a parts pack? (And any guesses as to when the 4x4 Crawler will approximately be discontinued? So I can determine when to get one.. I was planning on keeping my VIP points for the Star Wars summer wave, there are some interesting sets incoming..)

One final question, again in case I'd go with the 42000, which power function packs would I need to RC the Grand Prix Racer? :classic:

*edit*

Or would anyone recommend me to try and find the 8070 Super Car for a nice price (found one used for 85€..)? :wink:

Edited by dsoffers

you would need Lego set 8293...

Both sets are IMO quite boring concerning the building experience... but the crawler is at least quite fun to play with (or for your kids ;-) and it contains the rare and quite expensive L- and Servo-motors...

But my recommendation from the currently available sets would be:

1. The unimog 8110: fun to build, many functions, motor and pneumatic included, very good parts pack, more or less same price than the crawler - AND: will be discontinued soon!

8110.jpg

2. The Helicopter 9396: not the most intersting building experience but cool functions, easy and very good to motorize (also with Pack 8293) and also a very good parts pack - ~ same price as the 42000 or even cheaper

9396-1.jpg

3. The Logging truck 9397: same as for 9396 plus already included motor AND: one of the best alternate models! Price ~ 80 - 90 €

9397_amazon.jpg

Just my 2ct

Edited by Kumbbl

Thanks for the reply, Kumbbl. I've looked up the sets you listed, the cheapest of the 3 would be the helicopter. I can currently buy that, with the 8293 Power Functions set included, for about 80€. I can't find 9397 for the price you listed though, it's minimum 115€ around here, including webshops. I'll check on 8110's price, haven't gotten to that one yet. I'd purely use them for parts but I'm no where near ready to start building my own Technic car, so I think I need to build a few official ones before I'll get the hang of it.

Edited by dsoffers

If you can find 8043 cheap,....

this is exactly the problem ;-)

at least here in Germany you can say:

used: you must be very lucky and very patient to catch one for less then 130€ - and all below 110 is a full bargain... most of them cost between 140 and 150€ at least

new and sealed: nothing below 200€ typical prize is about 230, 240, 250€

IMO currently the most expensive OOP set - together with the epic 8258

Best Technic set of the past decade.

a comprehensible opinion.... but i would only second this if you write "...together with 8258 and 8110" (and if you count the year 2003 too, then also 8455)...

At least between 8043, 8258 and 8110 i would not rate one higher than the others and all of them must be slightly modified to work really well and with full fun...

8455 is IMHO fithout any flaws and works perfect out of the box - a real marvel (if you are interested in pneumatic ;-)

Well, if you would push a gun onto my head and say "Rate" ;-), then i would say the 8258 is the "primus inter pares" - but i'm sure there are many people out there who would rate another ... ;-)

BTW: The backhoe 8455 is quite cheap to get here in Germany - i have bought two used sets but in near mint condition (incl. box and BI) for about 65€ each...and i see quite often offerings about this price or slightly higher...

hello lug heads! heres my situation. looking at buy 9398 or 8110, i already have both these sets but there is an opportunity to get an extra. one the one hand 9398 has all the PF gear and then ill have eight tires from the crawler and twice the PF. then flip side 8110 has 700 extra parts. then bricklink the PF servo and remote setup. what i want to build is a 8x8x8 crawler. which technic set should i buy?

cheers doug

so could not help myself and i went ahead and got a second copy of 8110. what i did find interesting was that the new set came with updated parts. reenforced 8t gears and the new six hole rims which im quite pleased with. so it may have been one of the the last production runs?

next up 42000 or 42008?

cheers doug

Hi guys, I've just recently been getting back into Lego, and have gotten a few, er, normal(?) Lego sets. Specifically 10240 which uses some technic parts to work the opening and closing of the wings, which I really enjoyed putting together!

I thought I might try out some more technic Sets, as I do enjoy the gearing and every thing working together.

I had a look thru the s@h site, but couldn't find any thing that looked that interesting. I was after a set that came with a few motors and controllers etc?

Is there any new ones that come with a decent amount of the electronics?

I did order the hotrod, as I wanted to give the new app style instructions a go!

@dougstar, between 42000 and 42008 i would choose the F1 Car, just for the looks and wheels. 42008 is too an interesting set, but it has too many flaws in my opinion (and very ugly design).

@Manusdei, if you want a set with lots of PF in it you should look for 9398 or, if you have the money look for the king or RC - 8043 Excavator.

Cheers,

F.

Hello guys, I'm completely new to lego other than playing with it a bit as a child. A friend of mine gave me set 8868 recently and iv become hooked! I went out and bought set 42023 just as something cheap and easy to build. Could someone guide me in a direction of sets to build? The more challenging the better. Also some further reading would be nice to get me more into my new found hobby. Thanks!

Welcome Gramps! You have come to the right place :) - just go through this topic and you will get the answer (or even multiple answers ;) ) to the question, which sets are worth considering. Then you will be able to ask more specific question regarding particular sets and we will be happy to help you.

Hey everyone, I have a little money and I'm wanting to build a trophy truck but I've ran out of independent suspension parts. Would you guys reccomend buying the new snowmobile for £15 or some other set with independent suspension?

Welcome Gramps! You have come to the right place :) - just go through this topic and you will get the answer (or even multiple answers ;) ) to the question, which sets are worth considering. Then you will be able to ask more specific question regarding particular sets and we will be happy to help you.

Thanks! Iv been looking at sets and id love to get the 41999 but its a little out my price range from what iv seen on ebay, is 9398 the same but just with a different body shell? Also can someone recommend me some sets to use as parts to get started with some MOCing? Thanks.

Hey everyone, I have a little money and I'm wanting to build a trophy truck but I've ran out of independent suspension parts. Would you guys reccomend buying the new snowmobile for £15 or some other set with independent suspension?

If you just need suspension parts I'd go for buying them from LEGO customer service. However set comes with some good parts, that I think are worth its money.

Thanks! Iv been looking at sets and id love to get the 41999 but its a little out my price range from what iv seen on ebay, is 9398 the same but just with a different body shell? Also can someone recommend me some sets to use as parts to get started with some MOCing? Thanks.

9398 and 41999 share the chassis - but the body is completely different. Also 41999 has lights and motorized winch (1 x m-motor). Maybe 9398 is not so beautiful but it still is a good parts' pack if you want to build off-road RC vehicles.

Regarding sets for parts - there is also a separate topic with such information: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87935

But I can personally recommend especially 3 sets, if you look for more 'universal' parts packs:

42009 - great amount of parts (wheels, panels, gears etc), good variety, L-motor

8110 - also great amount of parts, even better variety, hard-to-find parts (orange panels, wheels), pneumatics, M-motor

42030 - this year's flagship (not yet available) - decent amount of parts, decent variety, hard-to-find parts (bucket, wheels) - and huge amount of PF elements - few motors, servo, 2 rc receivers, 2 rc remotes

Edited by peter_m

If you have the choise between the 9398 and the 42004. Wich one should I buy? I am planning for the 42030 also when available and got the 8043, so the PF parts are not on the wanted list for me.

If you have the choise between the 9398 and the 42004. Wich one should I buy? I am planning for the 42030 also when available and got the 8043, so the PF parts are not on the wanted list for me.

I'do go with 9398. With no doubt at all.

For me, it is easy. Buy the 42009 ! Although it does not have RC parts, it is a great set, big parts pack, wheels, etc. And ofc, it is the predecessor of 8421 !

BTW: I see you are from NL, and If you are from Wageningen, at the local Intertoys there is an 8110 left with nice discount - 159 euro.

Edited by Freekysch

You probably mean it's the successor of 8421 :wink: 9398 might be EOL soon, so you could consider getting that now, and 42009 later.

For me, it is easy. Buy the 42009 ! Although it does not have RC parts, it is a great set, big parts pack, wheels, etc. And ofc, it is the predecessor of 8421 !

BTW: I see you are from NL, and If you are from Wageningen, at the local Intertoys there is an 8110 left with nice discount - 159 euro.

Thanks for the tip, but I already own a 8110 and paid 135 for it @ Wehkamp las august. I think I will buy the 42009.

Edited by racedees

Can't wait for the 42030 front loader to come out. It will go nicely with my other construction technic themed sets. It looks like it's going to be released in August. Historically have people been able to pick up sets before the August release via EBay?

Mods: If there's a similar thread already existing, fel free to merge. I couldn't find one.

On to the topic: Since I started building Lego again a couple of years ago, I have focused on the more advanced models in the Star Wars and City themes. The Technic brand has changed so much since I last built a set (in the early 90's) that it almost doesn't feel like Lego anymore (with the studless approach etc). But I am slowly starting to change my mind, especially after looking at all the wonderful MOC's presented in this forum. I think I just need to have a different mindset and don't look at Technic as "regular" Lego.

The announcement of the 42030 Volvo loader also got me excited. It looks like a really great model. But that one isn't coming out in quite a few months, so I want to buy another set but can't quite make up my mind. I prefer the construction sets, both functionality wise and aestethically. Sober design without lots of colors and stickers etc is my kind of style. I like yellow and black :)

Out of all sets released in the last few years, my favorite ones are the 8275 Bulldozer and the 8043 Excavator. However, both of those are ridiculously expensive now, so I won't go there. I love the looks of the 8264 Hauler (I also love dumbers in general), but it seems to lack any mechanical functionality. Out of the rest, the two most appealing sets are:

8110 Unimog

Big set with lots of functions. Looks are decent and it seems like a good parts set for future MOC's. I can get it for less than 180 euro, which is pretty good here in Sweden where Lego is VERY expensive (as in all Scandinavian countries).

42006 Excavator

Not as nice as 8043 but still seems like a fun build and can be motorized. Price seems fair; 60 euro + 30 euro for 8293 Power Functions.

What do you think of those two sets? Or are there better ones?

I'd also love to build one of all the awesome MOC's I've seen, but that will require much bricklinkning or buying lots of different sets. Or are there any good alternate "C-model" MOC's that can be built from just one single set (excluding motors)? Some smaller RC sports car would be cool.

I will appreciate any input!