XimenaPaulina

Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here

Hi all, I was wondering which Hoth Rebel Trooper looks the most truest to the movie material? The new (mostly) white one, or the tan (older) one?

It depends, the troopers in the film wore a range of uniforms, some all white, some with tan bits.

I recently discovered Arealight, and I'm particular fascinated with wave nine, specifically Spark and commander Jet. Are there any resellers I might find those figures from, or figures like them? They have to be printed, so minifigmaker is not an option.

I recently discovered Arealight, and I'm particular fascinated with wave nine, specifically Spark and commander Jet. Are there any resellers I might find those figures from, or figures like them? They have to be printed, so minifigmaker is not an option.

There are plenty of sellers of Arealight stuff.

In the UK there's Firestartoys.com, In the US you can order direct from Arealightcustoms.com or Brickrepublic.com and in mainland Europe there's Lapetitebrique.com or custom-brick-design.com

They all sell printed items.

Edited by Robianco

Is it just me, or is the breakdown of left-handed and right-handed shooters (per the instructions) wildly inaccurate?

:D

I suspect a left-handed designer at TLG is messing with the ratio.

Edited by rollermonkey

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of building the Lego Death Star and I have a question about the elevator string - in the instructions, the string seems to be held in place by friction only? Do you need to knot the string?

If so, what is the best type of knot to use.

I know, simple and silly question, but I prefer to get this build right.

Thanks.

While I think there is plenty of friction to hold it, I believe in step 185 where you've got the 2 2x4 technic plates with holes sandwiched around the 2x2 round plate, it looks like that loop of string should have a simple knot making the loose loop through that assembly secure. Then everything else built on top of it should be more than enough to allow any slippage.

Ah, yes, sorry. You can loop it back and knot it there, but you don't need to. If I recall correctly, it doesn't end up fully unwound in use so in addition to the friction you have several loops of string around it that helps keep it all in place as well.

Does anybody know at what frequency the DK Character Encyclopaedias are released? I'd like to see one that includes the Force Awakens characters.

That friction is strong enough by far for such application. There is not much clearance between axle and pulley hole - the string gets pretty tied squeeze in there. No need for additional knobs :)

Hi coolspot, and welcome to Eurobricks!

For future reference there's a general Q&A thread pinned to the top of this forum. I'll merge this with it in a bit :classic:

Cheers, Robin

That friction is strong enough by far for such application. There is not much clearance between axle and pulley hole - the string gets pretty tied squeeze in there. No need for additional knobs :)

Thanks for the note; I nevertheless added a small knot at the end to ensure that it won't slip through the friction hold. My 4-year old can be a bit rough with strings :)

Two questions:

Has anyone noticed that the heavy wings fall off this ship if you turn it sideways at all?

I'm not sure if this is common since this is my first Lego TIE fighter. Is there any kind of mod out there to stabilize the build?

My nephew picked up the ship to look at it and the thing fell apart just from him turning it sideways to look at the wing. I would have preferred them to make it resilient enough to stay together under its own weight.

Double check your build. That doesn't sound like you assembled it right. TIE wings are usually locked in pretty well. There's usually a step to move clips in place for secure fitment.

Just peeped the instructions. These are different than the last two. Are the red and blue clip parts all the way connected?

I really don't think the wings would be so heavy to unclip 4 clips per wing all at once.

Edited by rollermonkey

I think Rollermonkey is right, I did a heavy shake test (above a soft underground just to be sure) and mine still has both wings attached.

Edited by Legocitycustoms

I'm mostly a Technic collector, but as a Star Wars nut who never bought a Star Wars LEGO before (I know, I know..) I'm planning on making my first Star Wars starfighter purchase, but I can't decide which to get. Price is an issue so UCS type kits aren't a choice, so I kind of can't seem to make up my mind. Considering $60 is my limit (so the 9493 X-Wing is the highest I'd go) what is the best Star Wars starfighter kit out there to get at the moment? Poe's X-Wing is out, and the 9493 X-Wing seems to be getting phased out - will there be a new white/gray X-Wing anytime soon (becase the thing looks hideous in black :() I think the A-Wing kit is getting updated next year - any news on this, is the current one worth getting? I'm kind of guessing 9495 Gold Leader is the best kit to get, both price-wise, and because it doesn't look likely to get updated anytime soon (but that one kind of has a terrible nose..)

So yeah, I'm confused :) Help me out a bit :)

From the sets you mention i guess going for a discontinued set from bricklink is an option, and you prefer rebel alliance fighters right?

Out of the ones you mention id go for 9495, simply because i prefer the Y-wing over the X-wing, and it is a good looking Y-wing at that

Out of the currently new kit, id go for the Tie advanced prototype, but the B-wing might be worth looking at, its getting discontinued soon (already gone in europe)

Thanks for the replies :) I just checked and the A-Wing and X-Wing have gone out of stock :/

I'd rather go for a Rebel starship indeed but that doesn't have to be the case. I could go for an iconic Imperial ship (the new Advanced Prototype x1 is pretty good I hear?) or something from the Rebels (Ghost is intriguing but I've read pretty poor reviews of it :( )

So I guess Gold Leader or B-Wing is best bang for price at the moment?

The Ghost is by no means a bad set; the main drawback is the lack of interior space, but it's got fairly complicated build techniques and quite a bit of bulk going for it. If you can find one under $60 somewhere and it being in the Rebels theme is no issue to you, I don't think you'd be disappointed. That said, you can probably find the B-Wing dirt cheap in a clearance sale, so as a starting point it probably has the best value per piece for an iconic ship right now (even though I'd easily rate the Ghost the better set out of the two). The Advanced Prototype is not a bad choice either... really, the biggest challenge is deciding where to stop. :laugh:

I found 9516 Jabbas Palace for 128 euro is that set worth the price?

That's about what its original European retail price was I believe, but I'd say it's worth a 100€ tops. Still, it's a cute little build, the minifig lineup (that lovely Jabba included) is quite nice, and the figs go for a fair bit of cash by themselves, so if you're after those you might as well get the whole thing. I would still look for a less expensive offer, though.

Yeah, when I first put mine together, I didn't have the wings snapped into place completely and they fell off. Just push them in until you hear the snap.

Hmm. Maybe I built it incorrectly. Or was afraid to press too hard when snapping the wings into place. I tried pushing in the wings as hard as I dared right after they fell off and it didn't seem to make a difference. So I might have a building mistake in there. I'll recheck when I get home.

Thanks for all your replies!

*edited for typos

Edited by nymmerod