Jim

[TRIPLE] Technic Triple Build Contest Information

DESCRIPTION

Create three small-to-medium sized models which relate to or interact with each other and preferably display them in their operating environment or natural habitat.

Are there any thoughs on how close the relation between the tree models should\could be?

Could it be as vauge as "These are three things I have in my living room?"

I got used to use lots of system pieces to give my models look of real machines. So I wonder if I could built those three models as mix of technic and system pieces (technic frame and mechanisms') with covering of system pieces, giving them more Model Team look?

Or it should be a model which uses only liftarm/technic bricks/panels to recreate the shape of machines?

Are there any thoughts on how close the relation between the tree models should\could be?

Could it be as vague as "These are three things I have in my living room?"

You can build pretty much anything you like in any style you like. How "Technicy" they are and how closely related the models are will obviously have an impact on the judging. I think covering Technic with Model Team is perfectly legitimate and might even get you some style points. "Things from my living room" doesn't sound very exciting, but maybe you will surprise us!

You can build pretty much anything you like in any style you like. How "Technicy" they are and how closely related the models are will obviously have an impact on the judging. I think covering Technic with Model Team is perfectly legitimate and might even get you some style points. "Things from my living room" doesn't sound very exciting, but maybe you will surprise us!

Nothing to add :laugh::thumbup:

"Things from my living room" doesn't sound very exciting, but maybe you will surprise us!

Except that in previous questions it has been stated that the three things need to be interacting and not just random static things.

Could it be as vauge as "These are three things I have in my living room?"

Could that be a Barbie Closet, My Little Pony, and my laptop? That's what's in mine...

Except that in previous questions it has been stated that the three things need to be interacting and not just random static things.

The contest description is:

Create three small-to-medium sized models which relate to or interact with each other.

Blakbird's answer was spot on!

I guess if some people have 2 items they could make a figure to count as a third piece?

Or even a person, a dog and a car?

As long as there are 3 models, it's okay :sweet:

I heard a pretty good rule of thumb: weigh the model without the heavy PF stuff. One piece is approximately 1 gram in average. So 0.5 kg per model and you're good*

*confirmation needed

Can i do photos in nature ?

That's exactly what's appreciated!

I heard a pretty good rule of thumb: weigh the model without the heavy PF stuff. One piece is approximately 1 gram in average. So 0.5 kg per model and you're good*

*confirmation needed

Check out the plane with 499 parts :sweet:

http://www.brickset....ail/?Set=9394-1

Weight = 0.99Kg

Oh, I didn't notice that the weight is written there. Then it's should be doable to look at similar-to-the-entry sets (many panels, or many connectors, etc) to approximate the part count from the weight

Or just keep 'em small to medium sized :laugh:

Or you could build the models on LDD which counts the bricks for you?

You aren't allowed to use LDD. You could use the LDD instructions feature and build it from there, but digital files aren't allowed.

You aren't allowed to use LDD. You could use the LDD instructions feature and build it from there, but digital files aren't allowed.

That's what I meant, thanks for concluding! ':D

Is it allowed to use minifigures, and a brick-built exterior? I have an idea, and it's definitely not model team but does use bricks and minifigures. (it will be mostly technic though)

Is it allowed to use minifigures, and a brick-built exterior? I have an idea, and it's definitely not model team but does use bricks and minifigures. (it will be mostly technic though)

It's allowed, but keep in mind it's a Technic contest.

Do they all have to interact with each other, or could they all interact with a common "environment", say 3 construction vehicles.

Edited by Technyk32231

Do they all have to interact with each other, or could they all interact with a common "environment", say 3 construction vehicles.

"three small-to-medium sized models which relate to or interact with each other" I think that would go under "relate to each other"

"three small-to-medium sized models which relate to or interact with each other" I think that would go under "relate to each other"

True! :thumbup:

:sceptic:Crap; I had my own idea for the next Technic contest that I never got around to publicly posting. Oh well, maybe next time. :classic:This contest didn't strike much excitement on me at first, but people posting seem to like it (as mine had unpredictable appeal). This contest appears to be a very broad topic, while my idea (and To sail the Technic Sea to a lesser extent) a more specific and untried theme. Now I think that co-operating machines could still be an interesting idea to explore, which is not nearly as common in Technic as System.

I have never entered a Lego building contest before. But I should try to make an entry. I am a slow builder without a very large Technic collection, but hopefully this generous deadline will be enough for me to put something together. I like the prizes; My brother wants to get 42007 Dirt Bike (3rd), I've wanted save-up for 42008 Service Truck (2nd) since months before release, and the 1st-place prizes are sets that appeal to me but beyond my own budget. I will make sure to vote, which I could not last time because I signed-up while To Sail the Technic Sea was still running.

DEADLINE

Entries must be posted before 1:00 PM GMT, December 1st, 2013 so you can build all night on Saturday :wink:

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Maximum of roughly 500 parts per model, with a combined maximum of 1500 parts (*).
  • Chain links and tracks don't count toward the part limit.
  • Electronics (PF, Mindstorms, etc) are allowed.
  • A trailer counts as a separate model, as long as they can be separated.

(*) We know that establishing the part count can be tricky, so we're not expecting an exact number for each model.

Just keep it small-to-medium sized. To give you an indication; the 9394 Jet Plane has 499 pieces.

GENERAL RULES AND RESTRICTIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Voting is only allowed for existing members (which means member date before start date of contest)
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Rubberbands and pneumatic tubing are allowed exceptions.
  • Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.

I want to suggest minor changes to the rules, as I saw some little flaws:

I think that the contest (and other EB contests) should be more open to new members voting. I personally experienced the issue because I joined Eurobricks while To Sail the Technic Sea was running, so I was dissapointed that I couldn't vote. This rule should be rewritten to reduce or resist voting from new members instead of forbidding it entirely. If there are multiple votes per each existing member, than maybe just give one vote to every new member. Alternately, there could be ways to be exempt from the rule of sign up time, such as posting an Introduction topic, reaching Vassal status, or posting a MOC.

1500 is fairly good total part limit, but 500 per-model may be a bit too limiting; as I think it would be nice to have moderate variation in size. A better part limit would be 1400 in total and 700 per-model. But I also think it would be better to replace the part limit with a mass limit, with the total limit being twice as much as the limit per-model. A mass limit does not encourage larger parts, and limits electronics without forbidding them, without the trouble of counting the parts.

I also have a question; I know that the machines themselves must be built purist. But could I use natural materials (like sticks and stones) as cargo? Like an excavator lifting pebbles or a logging truck carrying sticks. I think that this should be allowed.

Lastly, thanks for being generous with the deadline. Even a builder as slow as me might be able to make it for this one.

I want to suggest minor changes to the rules, as I saw some little flaws:

By flaws you mean things you would do differently? :laugh:

I think that the contest (and other EB contests) should be more open to new members voting. I personally experienced the issue because I joined Eurobricks while To Sail the Technic Sea was running, so I was dissapointed that I couldn't vote. This rule should be rewritten to reduce or resist voting from new members instead of forbidding it entirely. If there are multiple votes per each existing member, than maybe just give one vote to every new member. Alternately, there could be ways to be exempt from the rule of sign up time, such as posting an Introduction topic, reaching Vassal status, or posting a MOC.

I think most of us are pretty satisfied with this voting setup. It avoids people joining, creating some useless posts and then never coming back again after the contest. Most important thing is that new members are eligible to take part in this contest and win great prizes! And new members can vote in next contest, just like you!

1500 is fairly good total part limit, but 500 per-model may be a bit too limiting; as I think it would be nice to have moderate variation in size. A better part limit would be 1400 in total and 700 per-model. But I also think it would be better to replace the part limit with a mass limit, with the total limit being twice as much as the limit per-model. A mass limit does not encourage larger parts, and limits electronics without forbidding them, without the trouble of counting the parts.

Although you may be absolutely right, we have had quite some discussion about the current part limit rule and it seems that we have reached an understanding and everybody is happy with it. So we will keep the current limit for this contest.

I also have a question; I know that the machines themselves must be built purist. But could I use natural materials (like sticks and stones) as cargo? Like an excavator lifting pebbles or a logging truck carrying sticks. I think that this should be allowed.

Sure, no problem! That's part of the setting. Could turn out great! :thumbup:

Lastly, thanks for being generous with the deadline. Even a builder as slow as me might be able to make it for this one.

No thanks. We would like to see more and better entries, so a little more time might do the trick.

Good luck with the contest. Looking forward to your entry!

I seen Jim comment in another post that a car reminded him of a transformer, would three 500 part identical entry's that change into 3 models be accepted?

Although I would really love to say yes, I need to say no. 3 transformer cars are 3 transformer cars, in the same way as 3 cars not being allowed. The point is to build 3 different models.

So identical models no, but you could do 3 different models, which transform into robots, like a Car, a Plane and a Truck.

Or you cold hold your thoughts and wait for a transformer contest, which I will surely try to organize in the near future :wink::laugh: