Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

22 hours ago, Jim said:

The point of our contests is to have FUN :classic: 

Puh, and I already thought you are fed up with our critic :D

What ever the future contests will be, I'm looking forward to them :-)

As the last contest is done, can you give us a glimpse about the follow-up @Jim ? ;-)

1 minute ago, Jundis said:

As the last contest is done, can you give us a glimpse about the follow-up @Jim ? ;-)

To be honest; I am still thinking about it. I love to hear the suggestions, but I totally agree it's probably not the best idea to start discussing the next contest here and already work out the details. So I am in doubt whether to do the shrinking contest or a totally different one. Either way; I am going on a cruise to Iceland (of all places) next week and I won't be back before the end of May. I promise that I will get the new contest up-and-running shortly after I return.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

To be honest; I am still thinking about it. I love to hear the suggestions, but I totally agree it's probably not the best idea to start discussing the next contest here and already work out the details. So I am in doubt whether to do the shrinking contest or a totally different one. Either way; I am going on a cruise to Iceland (of all places) next week and I won't be back before the end of May. I promise that I will get the new contest up-and-running shortly after I return.

I think it is a good thing to bring forth some ideas here. But you are right, too many discussion and too many different ideas for constraints may blur the contest before it even started.

10 minutes ago, Jundis said:

I think it is a good thing to bring forth some ideas here. But you are right, too many discussion and too many different ideas for constraints may blur the contest before it even started.

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Exactly. 

Yeah, I think it's fine for people to suggest their ideas, just maybe not for @Jim to comment too much on them to keep the next contest more of a mystery.

I have a contest idea, it's not fleshed out yet.

Build anything, but use some specific parts. Not obvious part like wheels, helicopter blades, pullbacks, but something different, maybe the new A frame, bent gear-rack, whatever. The part has to be integral part of the model (solve something that can't be solved neatly with other parts). Maybe there could be prohibited parts, fixed number of parts must be used, whatever.

Just an idea...

1 hour ago, Lipko said:

The part has to be integral part of the model (solve something that can't be solved neatly with other parts).

YES! Wonderful for inspiring those of us who are less creative with newer parts...

On 5/7/2023 at 2:34 PM, Jim said:

Either way; I am going on a cruise to Iceland (of all places) next week and I won't be back before the end of May. I promise that I will get the new contest up-and-running shortly after I return.

It's already the end of May. Any idea on the next contest?

27 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Jim has gone completely silent :(

Jim is a bit busy with post-holiday stuff. I will try to make some time next week.

The monkey gang is getting nervous @Jim!

We better get something to compete with or we are going to start throwing brown bricks at each other :D

btw: Hope you had a wonderful vacation and got some time to rest from us bunch :thumbup:

I happend to have a holiday and two weekend getaways, so very little time in and around the house. But I'm back and have more time now. So I will try to get something up-and-running shortly. But I do feel like a broken record hehe. 

@Jim - inspired by @NoEXIST's 42039 insides, how do you feel about making another contest like the TC19 where we get fixed size of a car, but make something that is opposite to what we're getting in sets like senna/bolide/tecnica, which means mundane cars instead of racing supercars?

Engines at the front with front wheel drive, seats that are not bucket racing seats, more doors etc. I can feel it getting a lot of interesting models :)

9 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

@Jim - inspired by @NoEXIST's 42039 insides, how do you feel about making another contest like the TC19 where we get fixed size of a car, but make something that is opposite to what we're getting in sets like senna/bolide/tecnica, which means mundane cars instead of racing supercars?

Engines at the front with front wheel drive, seats that are not bucket racing seats, more doors etc. I can feel it getting a lot of interesting models :)

Grohl already won that contest: 

7 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Engines at the front with front wheel drive

Not a bad idea as TC19 was one with the highest number of entries, but this part you mentioned would result in the same front build over and over again. Considering small size (with 30.4 rims), there aren't many possibilities for this setup.

16 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Now time for discuss another contest idea?
And those idea is sound not so different with TC19 anyway.

My idea - reverse current contest. Each entry need to pick set which has part less than 300~500.(At first I think 500 is good limit but after find some sets 300 will better.) And expand it as much as possible with lot of new functions. Of course must include function on original set. And allow electronic in this time.

Any kind of licenced set is not allowed.

Or I bring back rally car/stock car contest or fantasy car contest again.

Edited by msk6003

4 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Now time for discuss another contest idea?
And those idea is sound not so different with TC19 anyway.

My idea - reverse current contest. Each entry need to pick set which has part less than 300~500.(At first I think 500 is good limit but after find some sets 300 will better.) And expand it as much as possible with lot of new functions. Of course must include function on original set. And allow electronic in this time.

Any kind of licenced set is not allowed.

I actually thought about the same contest idea, take a small set and enlarge it while adding as much functions as possible (but only such that would be realistic to the kind of machine the original is about).