Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

5 hours ago, Jim said:

What are your thoughts on building during the summer period? Do you still build a lot?

Since I'm building mostly when the 'sun don't shine' (evenings/nights) the summer hardly slows down my building and hoping the color restriction is not Lime, Black, DBG and LBG :)

9 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Since I'm building mostly when the 'sun don't shine' (evenings/nights) the summer hardly slows down my building and hoping the color restriction is not Lime, Black, DBG and LBG :)

Lol. It will be easy to see, even with bright sunlight.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a lot of interest to have an active contest during the Summer. I do think I will save my idea for the end of the year. So we can do the shrink contest in the Summer.

3 hours ago, Jim said:

So we can do the shrink contest in the Summer.

Good idea, I'm in, and this way our members in the southern hemisphere also have something to do in the winter.

Thanks for bringing it in again @Ngoc Nguyen!

4 hours ago, Jim said:

I'm trying to figure out if there is a lot of interest to have an active contest during the Summer.

Has this never been done before? We have had a lot of contests over the years. Is there any kind of database as to which months there were many competitions with lots of participants and which parts of the year were the most or least popular?

I'd say, just run a contest, and see what happens. Even if there is no budget for prizes, a contest without prizes can also just be a good incentive to build something new and different to what we normally build. There can be a "spring" contest between now and June, and then a Summer one between June and September, or something like that.

For me personally, I don't really care what the season is.

14 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Has this never been done before? We have had a lot of contests over the years. Is there any kind of database as to which months there were many competitions with lots of participants and which parts of the year were the most or least popular?

@Seasider and I put the data together starting on page 76 of this thread. I don’t recall that we made the full sheet public. I’m sure there is a way to do that, but I can’t right now. We probably need to up date the last two contests to the data but TC24 has no results yet. 

I’ll dig out the excel sheet that me and @Thirdwigg made to summarise the contests.

literally typed this at the same time!

I’ll look for the excel tomorrow

Edited by Seasider

2 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I’ll dig out the excel sheet that me and @Thirdwigg made to summarise the contests.

literally typed this at the same time!

I’ll look for the excel tomorrow

Great minds…..

Here you go everyone, only contains data up to TC22 because that’s when me and @Thirdwigg created this, but is does clearly show some spring and summer competitions over the years.

52792269711_a9d3a83fc2_c.jpg

15 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Has this never been done before? 

We did have some contests during Spring and Summer, so it's no problem. I am trying to figure out what kind of contest would fit Spring and/or Summer.

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

Here you go everyone, only contains data up to TC22 because that’s when me and @Thirdwigg created this, but is does clearly show some spring and summer competitions over the years.

:thumbup:

For the shrinking contest: Should there be a restriction in terms of: "Selected model to shrink should have at least 1000 pieces" or "Shrinked model should have a max of 50% of the original pieces"?

The second restriction is maybe to harsh, as you need many pieces to maintain the functions...

Maybe just a bounding box limit?

7 minutes ago, Jundis said:

"Selected model to shrink should have at least 1000 pieces"

That's a difficult one.

For the shrinkage competition I’d go for a %age of the original either in number of parts or volume box. If you pick one size volume box it’ll create different challenges depending upon your starting model.

I don't think, that for this we need to have specific rules about parts count or similar. I hope, everyone understands, what is shrinking :look:

Build needs to be smaller than original (tracks, wheels or tires should be smaller, etc.), it should be clearly look like original, have as much as possible function from original. Motorised function can be replaced with purely mechanical.

9 minutes ago, Jurss said:

I don't think, that for this we need to have specific rules about parts count or similar. I hope, everyone understands, what is shrinking :look:

Build needs to be smaller than original (tracks, wheels or tires should be smaller, etc.), it should be clearly look like original, have as much as possible function from original. Motorised function can be replaced with purely mechanical.

I am probably with you on this one. 

Yeah, same as Jurss. It's clear what is meant.

I would propose to make a change for functionality. A shrunk model has fewer functions than the original and they might need to work differently to fit. For example, replace full suspension with a simple swing axle.

Also, maybe you could also include the option of upscaling a small model, so people have a choice between doing upscale or a downscale. Although this might create difficulty with voting/judging.

Edited by Erik Leppen

41 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Also, maybe you could also include the option of upscaling a small model, so people have a choice between doing upscale or a downscale. Although this might create difficulty with voting/judging.

Yes, upscaling a small model seems like a good idea for a separate contest I think...

The problem I see with offering both downscaling and upscaling a model is that I think upscaling and adding functions will win by default on this forum. As everyone knows the more functions the better especially if they’re powered or pneumatic 😉

17 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Haven't we already done an upscaling contest?

I don't think so.... 

22 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Haven't we already done an upscaling contest?

See my post from Tuesday that lists all the past contests apart from TC23 & 24

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I shrunk a set before there's even a shrink set contest lol

And what a model this is!

Somebody did a 42114 shrinking recently, sadly I can't find the thread :-/