Jim

Technic General Discussion

Can this topic be pinned or something?

It's useful for simple questions and answers and for newcomers...

There are several interesting topics for beginners, but we can't pin them all. That's why we have the pinned index.

It would be quite nice to have it pinned but it already is in a pinned topic. You can find it in the Technic, Model Team, and Mindstorms index.

EDIT- just as I reply, Jim beats be to it.

Edited by Epic Technic

So I've made this small power functions to a nine volt battery connector. I cut the wire from a PF switch and connected the center two wires to the nine volt connector. It works fine with an M motor but it does not work with the PF receiver nor the servo.

So my question is if I also need to connect the outer two wires ? Or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

So I've made this small power functions to a nine volt battery connector. I cut the wire from a PF switch and connected the center two wires to the nine volt connector. It works fine with an M motor but it does not work with the PF receiver nor the servo.

So my question is if I also need to connect the outer two wires ? Or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

You might find something useful in this thread

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87967

I am currently building a flywheel accumulator hybrid system. So my question is, has anyone ever built a type of flywheel accumulator system before?

For those who don't know what a flywheel accumulator system is, just read this Wikipedia page:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage

Why was DLuders blocked?

Can anyone send me answer per PM?

Thanx...

Max...

He was in a conflict with staff regarding few issues, but this should not be discussed here I will send you a pm with a link.

I am currently building a flywheel accumulator hybrid system. So my question is, has anyone ever built a type of flywheel accumulator system before?

The short answer is that it will probably not work. The flywheels used in mechanical accumulators operate in a vacuum, are perfectly balanced (static and dynamic) and operate on very good bearings at RPMs that you will never reach with LEGO.

I tried a small experiment with a flywheel last year - it was far from successful: http://www.busterhaus.com/2014/01/lego-flywheel.html?m=1

For those who don't know what a flywheel accumulator system is, just read this Wikipedia page:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage

Actually, you might be able to get a demonstrator system, which means that, yes, you could get it to work, but it would not be useful for anything. I'd recommend using the old ungeared 9v motor, and either ninjago spinners or Power Puller wheels to make the flywheel itself. Since you mentioned it, I may actually try it myself.

Also, BusterHaus, somebody actually accomplished what you were trying to do, using the above mentioned PP wheels and tires.

Brickshelf user Chrismaker did this, a loooong time ago. His gallery has a lot of weird stuff.

sub1.jpg

Also, as another thing, I was searching for bridge launchers, and found this thing:

ltj1.jpg

It's a bridge launcher, by Chinese company ZZHZ, and it looks like quite the machine.

ltj2.jpg

Here's a link to the page of the HZQY900B

Also from the same company, a girder carrier.

1_1844278141.jpg

Also, BusterHaus, somebody actually accomplished what you were trying to do, using the above mentioned PP wheels and tires.

That's pretty amazing - I think my error was mounting the gyro parallel to the wheels (edit: I checked again and it was mounted perpendicular - at least I didn't forget everything I learned in school) and possibly not having enough mass (although the speed was there).

I agree that some sort of demonstration system could be rigged up. I would look at using an E-motor to recuperate the energy stored in the flywheel. I'm still not sure how effective a LEGO version of this system would be at storing energy, seeing as it would dissipate pretty quickly due to the imperfections in the build (slack between parts, lack of balance, air resistance). I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Edited by BusterHaus

... I think my error was mounting the gyro parallel to the wheels and possibly not having enough mass (although the speed was there) ...

Correct, storing energy using large flywheels has an important side-effect: The flywheels become very 'stiff' gyroscopes, and tilting their axis of rotation requires much more effort. Remember also that, if you push on the axis of a gyro in one direction, it'll move in a direction perpendicular to the one you intended.

does anybody have good instructions on building a steering for a truck using the 6588 gearbox?

does anybody have good instructions on building a steering for a truck using the 6588 gearbox?

That depends on what kind of suspension and drive you want, if any, and whether you want link or rack and pinion steering. If you specify that, we'd be better able to help you.

So I've challenged myself to build a 2x2x2 speed cube or Rubik's cube. It will mainly be mainly bricks so my question is, is this the appropriate forum to post such a build?

So I've challenged myself to build a 2x2x2 speed cube or Rubik's cube. It will mainly be mainly bricks so my question is, is this the appropriate forum to post such a build?

It probably fits better in the Special Themes forum.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showforum=92

Do post a link in this topic, when you are done. I'd like to see the result and I don't visit the special themes forum frequently.

Is there a website or app that easily allows you to keep a record of the parts you have for each lego set in your collection? I've obtained a large number of sets second hand and I would like an online source where I can keep a record of what parts I am missing for a particular set. I had a look at rebricakble but I couldn't see obviously see if it has this functionality.

Edited by phool

Is there a website or app that easily allows you to keep a record of the parts you have for each lego set in your collection? I've obtained a large number of sets second hand and I would like an online source where I can keep a record of what parts I am missing for a particular set. I had a look at rebricakble but I couldn't see obviously see if it has this functionality.

If I am not mistaken it DOES have this functionality.

Otherwise you can download Brickstore. It's an old application but I like it a LOT!

And you can import BL orders to Brickstore, which is very convenient.

Has anyone ever built a snow cannon/gun?

How do you mean? It would be relatively easy to build a catapult like thing, but an actual cannon? I think not, I heard that snow acts like sand in lego gears, and chews them up. Although, Ufchen would probably try.

Also why when I try to submit a post with the image embedding extensions it says that you cannot use this extension in this community.