DrJB

Which set brought you out of your 'dark' age?

As sad as it may seem, I never had a dark age, the closest I got to Lego Technic, when I was a kid, was 5590 Whirl and Wheel Super Truck.

Meaning it shared some parts with Lego Technic, had steering. That was when I was 8, my Lego life was killed by a computer. Took my almost 25 years to find out how much I missed it.

What brought me back was the 42033, bought for a nephew of mine, didn't give him much chance to put it together himself. The next day got my self 42027, put it together, took it apart, and started building whole lot of different things with parts from that set. Got myself some old technic parts as a bundle online and started buying more sets. Waiting for the holidays to get some sets for xmass, so I know what to buy next :)

Edited by pgplay

I restarted collecting with 8459 wheel loader, then a second hand 8868 and 8862.

Lost interest with set 8436 the ugly cranetruck.

And got back with 8285 towtruck.

And now collecting parts to build Sandman's Actros.

Mine was the 8455 and I bought 2 so I could buld the b model but lost interest for afew years till I saw the 8258 set in 2009 and bought one then a few months later bought another two to be used to build my own models,I also bought two 8265 sets the same year one to build and the other to go in my parts collection but I never built my own models and just lost interest again due to other hobbies and health problems.

Then about a month ago I decided I wanted to build something with the lego I had so looked online for something to build or to give me an idea and saw the new Technic flagship set and decided I wanted it so I bought one but it didn't stop there so I looked at the 2014 and 2013 flagship sets and bought one of each set,then about week after I bought another 42030 and 42009 to go in my parts collection to build my own technic models.But all 5 sets are in the spareroom unopened as they are a Christmas present to myself and I am waiting till Christmas day to build them.I am also in the process of buying the missing bits I need to build the 8043 set and I only need to buy the yellow long angled panels but I might build it in red as I have 4 from the 2x8258 sets I have and the other ones will be cheaper in red than yellow but not sure yet.

I will be buying another 42043 after christmas for parts and 2x42042 one to build and one for parts but might buy one before Christmas,I will be buying more sets next year as I have the bug again for Technic Lego.

The Arocs did it for me. Although I've always been eyeing the Mindstorms since the first version even though I never bought it. Since the Arocs I've bought 42030, 42009, 42039, 42038, 42047 for its pull-back motor and three pieces of 42042. I got the cranes for an extremely good price, and I'm keeping one sealed for later. I'm sure it's not going to get very valuable, but it will never go as low as what I got it for. Maybe someone will appreciate the mint box in a few years.

The Mercedes Benz Arocs brought me back to Lego technic after 24 years of dark age. Last few weeks i bought the 42039, 42030, 8110 and 8297. Now i´m waiting for the release of the 42056 Porsche. My 2 year old son loves to look when i´m building the sets i´ve bought. Last couple of days i was busy with sorting all of my old Lego (about 30 kg) and looking for online building instructions because i´ve lost the original instructions.

Edited by lepeltje

Mine was the 42009. I was not into Technic, I was the one who got trains (LEGO) and my brother the old Technic. My dark age has been short if I compare it with the ones I see (20-30 years). Im 23 now and I LOVE again this things. I just can't explain myself.

I have to mention that the real set that bring me to the dark side was a LEGO Star Wars UCS (the Slave I). After this one... well... my wallet hurts

For me it was the Unimog (8110) as well. I had bought Lego for my daughter and enjoyed playing with her, but had not considered buying a set for myself. With 8110 this changed. I always have liked Unimogs. Next I retrieved all my old Lego Technic at my parents place and rebuild my favourite 853 chassis and the other vintage classics 852 and 851. Then I started buying second hand all chassis 8860, 8865 and 8880. After that I got really bitten by the Lego Technic bug and started buying as well more recent Lego technic flagship sets (8275!).

I think I have build now all flagship sets and am now doing some B models. Just finished the Control Centre II T-Rex. :-)

Next I plan to start building some MOCs. Sheepo's Defender is high on my list as well as some creations from Nico71 and Jason Alleman.

I will rc 42042 after I have built 42009, I just love technic sets though I might pass on 42043 for the kits in summer

Mine was 8043 after 18 dark years without LEGO Technic.

At that time I successfully build a RC-submarine (non lego) and searched for the next model for an excavator, which is in a metal Version with real hydraulics quite expensive and you can not easily rebuilt it, so the 8043 brought me back.

The biggest Advantage is that I now can build and play since 5 years together with my chidren and not anymore alone in my Workshop in the cellar.

For example my youngest daughter is no nearly 2 and she really loves the middle scale AWD SUV MOC from Madoca :thumbup: and If somthing falls off, we play repair shop :laugh: LEGO is so much fun...

Edited by Jochen1

There was no such thing as Technics when I was a kid although I had lots of traditional studded lego. For me it was the 8527 Mindstorms set that got me back into lego around 2007. Then my wife bought me the 8274 Combine Harvester and 8275 Bulldozer sets, and I've been hooked ever since.

I had Lego as a kid in the very early 70's, and really loved it, my mother tells me it was the only thing that kept me quiet. I got Lego set every Christmas and birthday probably from 1970-75, I then lost interest in it at about 11 years old. Fast forward 30+ years a I saw the RCX set in Tandy's window in the early 00's, an hummed and hared over the price eventually coming to the conclusion it was too much. Periodically the RCX set came into my consciousness and I would look on eBay, fast forward another 15 years, and I finally bought a nice RCX 2.0 set or £40 just before Christmas 2015,I have since then spent another £200 or so on other PF and Technics bits.

My dark ages, starting around Control Center 1, started to end when my daughter was old enough for Juniors. They truly ended when we built Santa's Workshop last December, and now I have a 42046, 42026, 42039 and 42024 on order. Thinking about 42009 or 42030 as well, and that Porsche can't come soon enough.

The short answer is 6211 / 8043. The long answer follows...

I received 6080 when I was around 10 yrs old and have fond memories of building and rebuilding it. I remember making a helicopter moc with it.

For an unknown reason I went into a dark age from around 1985 until 2013 when my step son moved out of the house. I went into his closet and saw that he had left a new in box 6211 behind. He told me I can have it. I built it and was hooked.

I then started researching current lego sets and 8043 caught my eye. It had a lot of functions and was remote control. Unfortunately, it was retired. Soon after, I decided to stop by Toys R Us and they had one 8043 left. I felt lucky to find it and bought it immediately.

That was 2.5 years ago. I currently own 34 sets total, 26 of them are Technic.

I am currently building 42030, and the next build will be 8448 which I just bought on ebay.

I really want 8466, 8485, 8880, 42043, and all 2H 2016 sets. Can't wait to get more official information about the Porsche. That's probably going to be a day one purchase.

Dark ages are behind me.

My son turned 7 this past fall and had a Lego birthday party. One of the sets he got was 42027, the Desert Racer. It's small and was the first Technic set he ever had despite my attempts to get him to built a Technic set the few times he went to TRU looking for other Legos. He needed my help a bit to build it and I loved how durable it was and the more intricate build vs traditional Lego... but heading into the holidays, I felt guilty about wanting to buy a "toy" for myself with holiday spending coming up.

Long story short... 42029, 42009 and 42030 continued to catch my eye all thru December. What pushed me over the edge was 41999. It was out of production but when I won my fantasy football league this year, I took the winnings and bought 41999 on bricklink and was truly hooked. For my 40th birthday I got two more sets and I won't be looking back. 41999 is a show stopper and it's the only set I cannot see myself ever taking apart and using for Mocs or general parts. Now for the long wait for the Porsche!

I recognise your troubles. Once it became clear to me that emerging from my dark ages wouldn't be limited to just one set, I promised myself to restrict myself to just one Lego theme: Technic. The temptation of big Creator sets as the Sopwith planes, the VW Beetle, T1 camper and MINI Cooper was very big, but I resisted the urge because I know myself too well: Once I buy one, my collecting drift will lead me to buy more. My wallet wouldn't thank me for that.

I wish I had your willpower...

Now, along with my (big) technic collection... I also own a (at least... Not as big) Creator Expert... and Creator... And SW... And Cusoo/Ideas... Collection... ;)

Edited by Rikus

Quick answer - 8862 Backhoe. Accidentally came across one.

The following all happened in the space of a year.

• It all started by coming across an old dusty box that contained 90% of the parts to make 8862 Backhoe. The set was not mine so I first had to google to see what set it actually was. Next I searched for instructions online and was amazed they were so easy to get. I bought all the missing parts from Ebay (cost a fortune) and finished the backhoe.
  • I then decided to find my old Lego box that was hidden for about 15 years and remake all my old sets. I then found Bricklink which helped a lot. I remade 8448, 8868, 8459 and 8445. My favorite is 8868. In my opinion the best set released. (hopefully Porsche will overtake it)
  • I then remade and bought missing parts for my brothers old sets. 8275, 8275, 8284, 8416, 8455.
  • I was addicted so I then started buying sets on Ebay with missing parts and finishing them. 8880, 8479, 8457, another 8868, 8865, 8432, 8456.
  • Next I bought some new sets. Volvo loader, Mini cooper, VW camper, Eto-1 and the USC Tumbler.
  • Now I just need to buy the Actros, the Porsche and some old sets like the Williams and silver champion F1 sets.
  • I just uploaded my first MOC yesterday and I may start another smaller (and cheaper) one soon. Its been fun :laugh:

Definitely 8275.

I got Lego as a kid and it stopped at the age of 16 with the Supercar 8880. It was my last set as a teen.

After beginning work at a construction firm and arranging excavators and trucks, i found my way back to Lego.

Now after collecting roughly 3 years, i have quiet a big collection. i bought lots of sets on second hand markets and built a lot of mocs with the parts i received.