Phantom59

Airfix quick build

Those are some great looking sets. From the looks of the plane you would never know that its made of brick elements.

This, I don't think, is very appealing to me. I prefer crane models myself, with replicated functionality, rather than models like this. It's kind of stupid, really. Most other model makers sell quick snap together kits, which don't need to have any of this crap. It's not like it's even a very clever build. Every megablucking part except for some red plates is so ridiculously specialized, you can't use it for anything. I mean, if you're stuck between Lego and real models, buy some proper snap together ones. If you want real models, buy that. If you want Lego, buy Lego. It's that simple.

Personally, I prefer action figure models, like robots. Those, to me, are more fun than minimum functionality models.

Now, if Airfix were to make some crane models with this system, with motorized functions, I'd be more interested.

Edited by Saberwing40k

I think some are looking a little to far into this. This seems to me like another approach to a snap together kit, aimed at younger kids who..

1.- Don't have the patience or skill level to assemble a glue together model,

2.- Skill level 2 and 3 are primarly shelf models not intended to be played with. This system looks to be Level 1 building experience, designed to take the abuse of normal play.

While most of the parts are best used with their intended model, a couple "technically" can be used with compeditor (I.E.- Lego) brand blocks. They may not have much use, but if another brick can be snapped on, then they can make that claim.

Overall they look like nice sets.

This, I don't think, is very appealing to me. I prefer crane models myself, with replicated functionality, rather than models like this. It's kind of stupid, really. Most other model makers sell quick snap together kits, which don't need to have any of this crap. It's not like it's even a very clever build. Every megablucking part except for some red plates is so ridiculously specialized, you can't use it for anything. I mean, if you're stuck between Lego and real models, buy some proper snap together ones. If you want real models, buy that. If you want Lego, buy Lego. It's that simple.

Personally, I prefer action figure models, like robots. Those, to me, are more fun than minimum functionality models.

It sounds as though you've got your mind pretty set on what you think about these kits - I for one have stood back and thought, ultimately deciding 'What the heck, let Airfix make whatever they want'. I like the company, it's the perfect example of a post-war toy that paved the way for most other modelling mediums. No-one really believes that Airfix is going to be stealing LEGO's share of the market with this product . :classic:

I wonder if these are available in the US?? Have to check some stores. Anyone in the US have any luck finding them yet?

Jamie

And incidentally, if I want scale models I'd go for Airfix rather than Revell or Tamiya (definitely the poor relations when I was a kid, although I can't speak for the current situation) !

Dr. D.

Weirdly the situation has somewhat reversed. TAmiya makes some stunning (and overly expensive) super detailed models. Revell is middle of the road (Revell Germany being much better with newer tooling and detailing, Revell US still depending more on classic molds.) and Airfix as more of an affordable every man type kit. Good inexpensive kits good for starting modelers or can be made acceptable with a little love and skill.

As someone who is both an AFOL and a scale modeler, these kits are both disturbing and oddly intriguing. I hate the dedicated single use parts. But I love the idea of combining Lego type builds with Snap Fit starter type model kits. And I am almost ashamed to admit this. I will order a few of these just for those stands. We have been begging for those for Lego for years.

Edited by Faefrost

Kind of strange for a company like Airfix to make such a product line. But they probably have a good reason though. I can see that a considerable amount of "kids" have an interest in scale model plane kits, but those things are probably deemed too complex for kids as you need glue (a special kind of glue) and paint. Not to mention the assembling of the kits. I just got into the model planes kit hobby and I have bought 4 planes, 3 failed and 1 perfect one. I can tell you this is hard enough for me let alone the younger kids. These building blocks style way of building can be a good alternative. But as always I'll stay with good old Lego :laugh: . Out of curiosity though where would you find these kits/sets? Regular toy stores or specialized hobby stores? Personally I prefer Hasegawa's 1/200 scale passenger aircraft kits over Airfix's as they are easier to find where I live and the kits are always of good quality :thumbup:

So, I stopped by the local modelshop today, curious if they had these sets on sale. They did. The price was a bit steep though, at € 15,-. So I put the spitfire back. Only to discover some minutes later that my girlfriend took it and bought it for me (yep, she's great - but also likes planes very much).

Put it together tonight. The instructions are a bit too simple. Some parts have to be put together in a specific order, because otherwise the parts don't seem to fit the way they're supposed to. I had to do some dis- and reassembling, because I put them together in the wrong order the first time.

Compared with real lego, the plastic is of a slightly less high quality (the difference is clearly cvisible when you compare them side to side), but compared to other plastic kits it's way better. The fit is very good, I expected the seams between the camouflage parts to stand out a bit, but they don't. The lego-like parts work very good with real lego parts too, but the color quality of Lego is better, so the Arifix parts stand out quite a bit when used together.

Still, it took me about five minutes to put the kit together, including the mistakes I made. I understand where the pricepoint comes from, the quality of the parts is there, but a lego kit that costs € 15,- simply offers more playtime and thus more "bang for the buck".

The verdict: nice kit, don't regret getting it, but I'd rather have a lego kit for this money.

On 9/15/2013 at 11:28 PM, lightningtiger said:

Hmm, interesting.....now we wait for Hornby to release something......almost every toy maker wants to do their own version of Lego.

Looks nice.......er, I might just stay with the tried and true Lego thanks.

Actually I feel that Airfix must have looked at MOC'ed up Lego planes and of course those of the creator range that Lego have been producing in recent years......then they though hey, we could try this too ! :wink:

Hornby owns Airfix!