Doc_Brown

Ultimate Rock Crawler course. (Ideas are welcome)

Hi Everyone

Here is a 3d version of a massive rock crawler course being designed as a collaboration.

Some people have suggested some awesome ideas, and thought about putting them all together and see what it is like.

This course has 41999 and 9398 in mind, but of course other MOC's are welcome. :grin:

Inspiration has also been drawn from real courses designed to test off-road and military vehicles.

9695991387_31949df8d5_b.jpg

If you have any ideas now it the time to share! All comments are welcome and greatly appreciated.

I should also state that the final design WILL be built. :tongue:

As we have the time, resources and motivation to get it done.

(I realize that the bridges are a little low. :sweet: )

Kind regards. :grin:

hmmmm now who would be foolish enough to collaborate with you to build a course like this........ :blush: lol

now seriously we have the materials and building techniques sorted but need some ideas for obstacles etc

so i'll kick things off

how about

1. a couple of stacks of logs with a triangular cross section

2. a bunch of rubble scattered tightly to create a lumpy patch

any and all ideas are welcomed and greatly appreciated :thumbup:

cheers!!

Looks pretty good so far! But I have an idea for the way your pyramids have been layed out...

At the moment if you look down on them (Birdseye view/plan view) you will see this

XXXX

XXXX

XXXX

XXXX

The centre of the Xs is meant to represent the top of each pyramid

I think it should be laid out so that every 2nd row (down the way, not across) is about half a pyramid's length further down. I think this would make it more challenging...

I hope that makes sense. ':D

Edited by MrNumbskull13

Sweet course, I know from testing the 41999 can climb no more than 30 degrees and 45 degrees with the winch.

I'm working on collapsible pyramids and a ramp with fibreboard and door hinges, or at least I will be when I get paid on tuesday :D

hmmmm now who would be foolish enough to collaborate with you to build a course like this........ :blush: lol

YES! Who indeed! :tongue: hehe

Looks pretty good so far! But I have an idea for the way your pyramids have been layed out...

At the moment if you look down on them (Birdseye view/plan view) you will see this

XXXX

XXXX

XXXX

XXXX

The centre of the Xs is meant to represent the top of each pyramid

I think it should be laid out so that every 2nd row (down the way, not across) is about half a pyramid's length further down. I think this would make it more challenging...

I hope that makes sense. ':D

I think I know what you mean. :grin: That sounds like a great idea, don't want it to be too easy eh. I will incorporate it into the next image. cheers!

Sweet course, I know from testing the 41999 can climb no more than 30 degrees and 45 degrees with the winch.

I'm working on collapsible pyramids and a ramp with fibreboard and door hinges, or at least I will be when I get paid on tuesday :D

We were inspired by your ideas! Thank you very much. :laugh:

The info of the crawler climbing was very useful, that way new crawlers will be able to compare to the 41999 ect. :sweet:

Look forward to seeing more of your course.

I'm sure there is a market for obstacles, races would be so much fun too, your course has so many good features and I hope you can put it together :)

how about like a wrecking yard with cars stacked. sort of like the monster truck competition :D

Top idea!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

for the cars in question I would need to track down some MB vehicles from an op shop though :tongue:

Hey you guys might also get some ideas from RC rock crawler vids!

I have another idea xD

Something like two sticks you have to drive across, 2 wheels per stick. :D

Thanks for the great suggestions guys!

You have no idea how excited I am about this! :grin: :grin:

I did think about building it entirely out of Lego, but it would be a small fortune. :wacko:

I'm sure there is a market for obstacles, races would be so much fun too, your course has so many good features and I hope you can put it together :)

Didn't think of that, will give it some thought. Cheers.

Hey you guys might also get some ideas from RC rock crawler vids!

I have another idea xD

Something like two sticks you have to drive across, 2 wheels per stick. :D

I might be wrong but I think we have done that already with the skill test above, but thanks anyway. :laugh:

How about you build it out of legos? :laugh: Maybe on 4 baseplates?

I did think about building it entirely out of Lego, but it would be a small fortune. :wacko:

Oops, sorry, hehe. All-lego would be cool tho.

I agree with adding some lego on this track somewhere. Maybe some large beams to climb up, and what about a sand pit and a gravel trap. Oh, and some water.

H

Edited by Horace T

How about you build it out of legos? :laugh: Maybe on 4 baseplates?

Oops, sorry, hehe. All-lego would be cool tho.

Hey that's cool! I would love to build some stuff out of Lego, and looking at my red liftarm stockpile, might just have enough to build a bridge. :laugh:

Will have a look tomorrow.

I agree with adding some lego on this track somewhere. Maybe some large beams to climb up, and what about a sand pit and a gravel trap. Oh, and some water.

H

Water is cool! But would you drive your 41999 thu a pit of water? :tongue:

Makes me think about a pit of rice! and maybe have 8043 in there somewhere! :laugh:

Found these finger skateboard things ... http://www.amazon.co...ywords=skatelab

That's interesting! I wonder is some stairs would be possible, going up an down? :laugh:

Edited by Doc_Brown

I am currently working on a tr tr cours to.I made this bridge in lego.When flat its easy but when raised its difficult.It can carry about 3kg and it can cross 1 m .It holds 2 xl's and 2 LA's. You have also given me some great ideas. My next project will be stairs with adjustable heigth of the steps.So it can be made easy and difficult .My goal is to make a course for beginners and pro's in one.truck_trial_brug_037_b.jpgtruck_trial_brug_033_b.jpg

Edited by Johnny P

I've started making parts of a course too, but trying to make it out of Lego as much as possible (I have quite a few Technic frames 64179 and 64178, but probably still not enough).

How about some more dynamic features so that timing becomes important:

• rolling road made out of tank treads going to opposite way, so your crawler has to be fast enough to pass
  • wrecking balls (made out of something soft) so that you have to get your crawler out of the way before it gets hit
  • sections of road that move up and down, such as ramps, or even just flat sections that move up and down
  • a seesaw that you have to drive up and over - perhaps dampened with some of these 32181c02
  • a rotating platform, where you have to get onto it quick enough, but also get off it at the right time to make it to the next part of the track

For something more static, how about a section where one side (left or right) goes up a ramp, but the other stays flat, to test how far over the crawler can go sideways before tipping over.

00000011.jpg

Hey that's cool! I would love to build some stuff out of Lego, and looking at my red liftarm stockpile, might just have enough to build a bridge. :laugh:

Will have a look tomorrow.

Who says it has to be all Technic? I hardly knew about technic until about 6 months ago, and I have maybe 20-25 thousand system parts. The problem is none of my lego is sorted...

You can use clothes hangers, clothes, DVD cases, books and loose change. The books can be opened and supported in the middle to make ramps. The hangers would simulate the "logs". DVD cases would be for ledges and such. The clothes and loose change would be like driving over loose gravel. I just ran my crawler over a bunch of this stuff in my bedroom and it worked pretty good. I even took it outside today and ran it over some real gravel and it did a pretty good job. It couldn't handle the grass though (haven't mowed it in a while so it was probably too tall).

Thank you all for the fantastic suggestions!

OZBen and I will be meeting on Wednesday to discuss the details and put things down on paper.

Build some stuff with Technic too, so stay tuned! :grin:

I've started making parts of a course too, but trying to make it out of Lego as much as possible (I have quite a few Technic frames 64179 and 64178, but probably still not enough).

How about some more dynamic features so that timing becomes important:

• rolling road made out of tank treads going to opposite way, so your crawler has to be fast enough to pass
  • wrecking balls (made out of something soft) so that you have to get your crawler out of the way before it gets hit
  • sections of road that move up and down, such as ramps, or even just flat sections that move up and down
  • a seesaw that you have to drive up and over - perhaps dampened with some of these 32181c02
  • a rotating platform, where you have to get onto it quick enough, but also get off it at the right time to make it to the next part of the track

For something more static, how about a section where one side (left or right) goes up a ramp, but the other stays flat, to test how far over the crawler can go sideways before tipping over.

00000011.jpg

some ideas

These ideas are super! Thanks.

Edited by Doc_Brown

Here is a update!

I've made pretty much made as much of the solid bridge as I can.

Will need 12 x 5x11 panels, and heaps of liftarms to fill in the road part.

9705605633_b4efbd015e_c.jpg9705602581_b5e16a67d0_c.jpg

9708835046_fd18b0e4b1_c.jpg

There are both sides to the bridge above, i just put them next to each other in the photo.

9705593915_b429cd05ba_c.jpg9708825702_31374b5928_c.jpg

Edited by Doc_Brown