scruffulous

MOCs: Victorian Railways rollingstock

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

It's been a while since I've posted anything here on Eurobricks, but I thought some of you who don't get onto Flickr much might like to see some of my more recent Victorian Railways builds. Follow the links if you would like more information.

8397393337_955952a19c.jpg

Y Class Locomotive by scruffulous, on Flickr

5403739175_2cca33d646.jpg

T Class Locomotive (flat top) by scruffulous, on Flickr

6061556783_033d8bacc6.jpg

J Class Steam Locomotive by scruffulous, on Flickr

9509445502_57b9d63972.jpg

VFTY Timber Wagon by scruffulous, on Flickr

9474885025_3839c42635.jpg

C Guard's Van by scruffulous, on Flickr

great looking builds, I really like the J class engine, grandfather used to work on the Burlington Northern way back in the day

Beautiful collection of Victorian Era Trains "Scruffulous!" Very nicely detailed, and I love the colour schemes. You have truly captured the essence of the Victorian era. Brick on!

Beautiful collection of Victorian Era Trains "Scruffulous!" Very nicely detailed, and I love the colour schemes. You have truly captured the essence of the Victorian era. Brick on!

Pretty sure these are not "Victorian Era" but rather trains running in the State of Victoria, Australia.

They are very nice however. Really love the dark red guard's van.

I like the two engines, but I cannot remember ever seeing a timber wagon or a guards van that looked like that

I will have to look at your albums though as the grain wagon looks interestin

Ah, Aussie trains of glory :wub: ......and that's coming from a South Australian ! :laugh:

Wonderfully detailed creations you have there 'scruffulous' and Brick On ! :grin:

Pretty sure these are not "Victorian Era" but rather trains running in the State of Victoria, Australia.

You are correct, they are all Victorian Railways rolling stock from the State of Victoria, Australia. The C guards van is the oldest design first built in 1910, followed by the J class in 1954. Both some time after the end of the Victorian Era.

Beautiful work as always Mike, your attention to detail coupled to your use of rather unique parts has yet again provided superb results. The texturing used on the Guards Van to achieve the weathered look is top notch, whilst the wide variety of connections you have used for the VFTY Timber Wagon to achieve the level of detail and look is spectacular.

You are correct, they are all Victorian Railways rolling stock from the State of Victoria, Australia.

I am probably just over-sensitive being from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. :wink:

Hey! I really like those a lot, I'm not so familiar with Australian rolling stock, but I know nice work when I see it. That guard's van is huge, I'm going to have to research what that was used for exactly as - to the best of my knowledge - we didn't have things like that in the States. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Hey! I really like those a lot, I'm not so familiar with Australian rolling stock, but I know nice work when I see it. That guard's van is huge, I'm going to have to research what that was used for exactly as - to the best of my knowledge - we didn't have things like that in the States. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Hello Joe

The US equivalent to a Guard's Van is a Caboose, the larger versions that were used on passenger services also acted as baggage car.

Edited by Steinkopf

Hello Joe

The US equivalent to a Guard's Van is a Caboose, the larger versions that were used on passenger services also acted as baggage car.

Ok thanks, I kinda thought that that is what it was, but wasn't quite sure. I guess the term 'guard' kinda threw me. I didn't realize that the Australian Outback had it's own version of Jesse James.

Joe

Ok thanks, I kinda thought that that is what it was, but wasn't quite sure. I guess the term 'guard' kinda threw me. I didn't realize that the Australian Outback had it's own version of Jesse James.

Joe

Victoria doesn't really count as the outback (that's usually used to refer to more arid and less populated areas) but it was host to one of the biggest gold rushes ever. Since a lot of our country side was fairly heavily forested, it's known as the bush. If you look up bushranger you'll see the local equivalent to Jesse James. By the time of the railways though, bushrangers were disappearing. The guard had duties such as ensuring all passengers were clear when departing from stations, and checking tickets on regional trains. I'm pretty sure we still had them at least till the 1980s on suburban trains.

Victoria doesn't really count as the outback (that's usually used to refer to more arid and less populated areas) but it was host to one of the biggest gold rushes ever. Since a lot of our country side was fairly heavily forested, it's known as the bush. If you look up bushranger you'll see the local equivalent to Jesse James. By the time of the railways though, bushrangers were disappearing. The guard had duties such as ensuring all passengers were clear when departing from stations, and checking tickets on regional trains. I'm pretty sure we still had them at least till the 1980s on suburban trains.

Oh, my Australian knowledge is woefully inadequate. :look:

The conductor is the person who collects the tickets in the US, and he's also in charge of the train. Is the guard also in charge of the train in Australia, or do you also have a conductor?

Thanks, Joe

Great looking trains there many thanks for sharing. Looking at your flickr account is going to take me years so much detail....

Oh, my Australian knowledge is woefully inadequate. :look:

The conductor is the person who collects the tickets in the US, and he's also in charge of the train. Is the guard also in charge of the train in Australia, or do you also have a conductor?

Thanks, Joe

I'm pretty sure the driver/s is/are in charge of the train, though he has to follow the instructions of the guard. :-) Suburban trains have no conductor (or guard any more as far as I know). I think the guard performed the role of conductor on regional trains (though this could differ from state to state), but on interstate trains there are multiple staff so I'd guess the guard and conductor are separate.

I've got a question on how you're powering that T class. In your Flickr stream you mentioned that there are 2 PF motors powering it. I presume you mean the Medium ones, placed vertically with the axle then acting as the turnpoint?