Rick

2014 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I think we should be gratefull to Lego because they do have sets for AFOLS (Modular line). I dislike it when people say: Again a City police office??? Be a real AFOL and build your own one. One you like and leave the new police theme 2014 on the shelves for the kids they are meant for.. Just pick those sets you like.. It is simple, kids just like firetrucks, police and so one, i know as i have two little sons. Is helps no-one to tell everyone you do not like the new police sets....Modify it, create something you like..use Lego as it is meant to be.. create things!

So, what i'm trying to say is, buy only the sets you like and leave the new repeating police-stations and fire-stations to the kids!

But please, stop with complainting about sets being repeated.. our whole world is repeating.. every single day.....every 24 hours.....

LegoSjaak

Do you really want to participate in a discussion forum that consists of:

Eurobrick Member #1: The new sets are awesome!

Eurobrick Member #2: They sure are!

Eurobrick Member #1: I'm gonna buy all of them!

Eurobrick Member #2: Me too!

Eurobrick Member #1: Umm ... did I mention that the new sets are awesome!

We're all supposed to be adults here, not mindless, fawning pre-teen fanboys (go read FBTB.net to see the difference). We all love the hobby. But as adults, we're a little more discerning and critical. We all want different things out of the hobby, and have different tastes and likes and interests. We come here to EB to talk about it. Sometimes that comes out as frustration and criticism. Sometimes it's gushing praise. That's what a "discussion" is.

If you really want to forbid any negative criticism of the great and powerful Lego Company, than this website would quickly become a very boring place to visit.

Looking at the initial, small, blurry images, it would appear that a lot of my money will be staying in my pocket this year! I'll await the better quality images but fear the decision will stay the same!

Via Brickset:

the last page of the renewed 60020 booklet shows some 2014 sets (on the top right corner, everyone's fav topic: the airport firetruck)

Logging lorry and car transporter stand out for me, and I quite like the look of the Octan race/sports car (bottom right).

--

...whiney obsessive AFOL weirdo audience of course...

:D

That's what a "discussion" is.

Agreed. I actually kind of like the people posting 'I've just seen the new City / Train / Castle / Technic omg my life is over, Lego are out of business' stuff. Gives me something to troll...good internets need a bit of drama.

If you really want to forbid any negative criticism of the great and powerful Lego Company, than this website would quickly become a very boring place to visit.

+1 (seriously)

Meanwhile, once a year I get to watch grown men get in a severe tizz about plastic construction toys, as they suffer the annual surprise of 'once again, Lego is sticking to roughly the same themes it has pursued since the mid 1970s'. Never boring.

Edited by andythenorth

Agreed. I actually kind of like the people posting 'I've just seen the new City / Train / Castle / Technic omg my life is over, Lego are out of business' stuff. Gives me something to troll...good internets need a bit of drama.

See? Everybody wins!

And your previous post elevated "internet trolling" into the realm of "performance art." Nicely done!!

As I said before, let's focus on discussing the sets and not what can and can't be discussed. Thanks.

The Police station looks nice, but the middle jail cell area looks out of place with a black colour scheme. Would you guys agree? :)

Can someone link the photos again? The last I noticed was the smallish photo from the poly bag instructions. When I go back to look, I just keep finding links to old sets.

Is the "Great Vehicles" moniker anything official? I would reckon these would be part of the "great vehicles" series, but it's not really a series, per se. At any rate, I am generally happy to see 6-wide official models with inventive details and building techniques. That along makes these worth buying and populating one's LEGO town.

The car transporter and tow truck are must-buys for me. They look like perfect $20-$30 impulse buys, or ones that I'll wait to get a coupon for at a big box retailer.

The logging truck looks appealing, but it's hard to tell from the poor-resolution photo against the green tree background. Hopefully the hi-res photos will validate it.

Have to agree that the Tow Truck does resemble Pierre Normandin's as Rick noted. I'm excited for all these city sets. Logging truck looks great, as does the GT car.

I can't stand 60025 though - The trailer turns me right off and could have been done so much better (I know it's from 2013). Airport fire truck is a must have as well.

Any fire truck builders notice the grey ladder piece on the police station?

Well spotted Mrcool1804. Hopefully TLG will bring out a "standard" section of ladder in the same colour to match at some point. Just noticed on the clearer images that it looks like they come as tread plates for the cars on the upper deck of the car transporter.

Edited by scottwb2010

Saw better prelims of the new sets:

-60041: Police guy on a motorcylce, and a robber jumping over a railing. That's it.

-60042: Police car, a little bit of street scenery, but it's just a ramp, fire hydrant, and a green trash can. There are two robbers, one is a female with the red ponytail, on motorcycles. The wheels are gold! The cop is holding something in the car, it looks like a gun or a pen.

-60043: White prison transport with a crook riding an ATV, busting out his fellow criminal on the side.

-60044: Mobile Police thing, it's really the same as the others. There's a small jail in the back. There appear to be new police hats, though...

-60045: Police boat, Police boat carrier, and a crook on a a small olive green boat, same one from Chima Cragger's Command Ship

-60046: Huge white and blue copter, and the criminal hideout actually looks better in this pic. Lots of the "brick-bricks" in DARK RED! Dark green door and an 8x8 plate garage door.

I'll post the other sets in a bit... my fingers hurt! :tongue:

-Sci

The pics show interesting set, I only hope that the price come back to city standards because last year undercover inspired sets have a price per piece similar to licensed sets.

The slide show makes pics look a lot clearer. Jury is out on the Police officers caps for me though! And what's the guy coming out the barrel in 60046 meant to be? He has something in his hand and is wearing earmuffs!

Oooo... those policesets looks better than they sounded to me.

The motorcycle is a must - I have the firefighterbike from this spring.

And the two sets with robbers and their houses, that would be a tough choice, and nice to se the "brick brick" in a new color.

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone tell me what (they think) this will mean for 2013 sets like cargo and coast guard? Will they still be sold in 2014, and if so, for how long do you reckon?

Do new sets usually mean all previous year's sets are out, or do the new sets only replace the previous versions (old police out, new police in)?

Thanks just2good for posting those links. I really like the Logging lorry and not seen a blue shovel before. The wrecker and Car transporter look good purchases too. Oh and noticed there's a Fire Hydrant comes with 60042, 60047 and 60054 so I guess TLG are expecting a plenty of fires in Lego City, so could be more Fire engines in 2015!! :laugh:

Edited by scottwb2010

All of these hideouts will be great for the run down area of my city! :classic:

The new police station with a few colour changes will also be a nice office building.

I bet that Pierre Normandin designed the big tow truck.

Indeed - in the closeup shots you can clearly see the licence plate starting with PN. Well spotted!

I'm amazed nobody is talking about my favorite of this batch of leaked figures, which was taken by 'Votvik' and posted on The Brick Fan:

10274065793_ea40fb1b50.jpg

It's gonna be in the Camper with Canoe set supposedly!

I think he is possible to be in S12 or LEGO Movie sets. It is confirmed that he is not featured in the Camper with Canoe set.