Isn't the thread thing how this works in real cranes? To me it's the gears that are wrong, as that ought to use hydraulics instead. To me it's technic if it works, and the thread thing is a beautifully simple solution. Feels like you think technic is about solving everything with gears. :tongue:

That said, it's wonderful that you're exploring alternative solutions. If you can lift more weight (in some cases) by not extending the third boom, that would be an improvement. I'll be interested in how well you will be able to keep the performance and aesthetics of the original boom.

I have searched the net a bit but I haven't been able to find exactly how a boom extends in real life. it can't be a "thread" in real life :classic: maybe chain or similar. I think, but I'm guessing that each section is extended using internal hydraulic actuator, most of the time, rather than racked gears. there are hydraulic actuators that can be compressed into themselves for several steps. most tipped beds have this solution.

at the same time I have actually not found any proof that a real crane extends one section at a time, or all sections simultaneously. I really can't tell yet!

I will continue to explore different setups and the final result will be true to real cranes! I will also only build a boom that actually works together with turntable and counterweight (batterybox or better) so my goal is not to reach for the sky but to have a realistic experience when it comes to actually lift something!

At the same time I have also found that I think the outriggers actually can lift the 42009 ultimate off the ground. It is just a matter of engine power. One medium motor and a lot of gears is probably not enough to be able to lift the machine, but there is nothing wrong with the outriggers themselves although they can be redesigned not to bend so much!

That being said, I am not in any way unhappy with the ultimate 42009 or the extended boom design that our fellow forum friends so nicely have given us for free! I am just trying to build something with my own flavour and style :blush:

Edited by Leif

Wow, thanks for all the effort! Unfortunately, Dropbox is blocked by my company so I cannot look at your files at work. I will try to look at them later and offer you some advice. In the mean time, please feel free to download my LDraw files and see how I did the submodels and stepping in MLCAD.

http://bricksafe.com...ove GMK6400.mpd

Looking forward to the final file. If you have it completely stepped, I am willing to make a PDF instruction file from it. I'll also extract a new parts list as well as compare it to the old list so that people like me who have already collected the parts can see what else they still need to get.

Thanks for the tips and the MPD file. They are really helpful. Previously I’m very concerned about the exact position for each module but it turns out that everything will be at relative positions by sub-modeling. I can now match sub-models front, back, left right views etc and reposition them in the master model as necessary. I also use Excel to round off the irrational matrix from LDD into decimal numbers with minor parts x,y,z adjustment so that it reads as clear and tidy as your MPD suggest. LDraw now works like a real CAD now :)

One minor thing I noted is sub-models coded within MPD file will not be reloaded when the actual external sub-model LDR file changes. It that normal or I might have missed some LDraw functions. Currently I just keep sub-model LDR separately and that can change later. It may be slightly off topic from now and I shall focus on the stepping. Cheers.

I have searched the net a bit but I haven't been able to find exactly how a boom extends in real life. it can't be a "thread" in real life :classic: maybe chain or similar. I think, but I'm guessing that each section is extended using internal hydraulic actuator, most of the time, rather than racked gears. there are hydraulic actuators that can be compressed into themselves for several steps. most tipped beds have this solution.

at the same time I have actually not found any proof that a real crane extends one section at a time, or all sections simultaneously. I really can't tell yet!

I can't find a really good explanation either, but it seems like there is a single hydraulic piston inside the boom that can only extend a single section at a time. Every section is locked in place except the one that is currently extending/retracting.

And threads are usually referred to as "steel wires" in these applications. :wink:

One minor thing I noted is sub-models coded within MPD file will not be reloaded when the actual external sub-model LDR file changes. It that normal or I might have missed some LDraw functions. Currently I just keep sub-model LDR separately and that can change later. It may be slightly off topic from now and I shall focus on the stepping. Cheers.

There are no external sub-models when you use an MPD file. All the submodels are now part of the master file. You should be able to delete all the external submodels. You can edit the internal submodels in the MPD file by just selecting them in MLCAD. There is a drop down menu to access them right above the main window.

When you downloaded my file, you should have seen everything all in one file.

Feel free to PM me if you need specific help with MLCAD.

Another solid week have been over and stepping for carrier inner structures have been done! The remaining parts, eg cabin, fenders, etc are pretty straight forward and it shouldn't take too long to complete. Progress file is here.

LDraw_Carrier1.jpg?dl=0

The most challenging yet interesting work is to try LSynth for rubber band connecting to the engine, which I really like it :blush:

LDraw_Carrier2.jpg?dl=0

61 and just getting started with this Technic stuff. You will all recognize the kid in my profile picture from the Technic instructions. My niece gave him grey hair, so now you all know what I look like.

It's wonderful seeing what Gerger and Blakbird have done with the 42009 MOC, and getting everyone the instruction informtion. Learning so much from these pages. Thank you all for the generosity in making these projects, and your collective knowledge base available.

It's Done! Stepping for the carrier is completed and I leave the superstructure untouch as Blakbird's master file , except adding 3 wheels under the turntable. LDraw file's here. Enjoy!

GMK6400_Carrier_V2-front.jpg?dl=0

GMK6400_Carrier_V2-rear.jpg?dl=0

Edited by gerger

It's Done! Stepping for the carrier is completed and I leave the superstructure untouch as Blakbird's master file , except adding 3 wheels under the turntable. LDraw file's here. Enjoy!

Thanks Gerger! I'll get started on paginating the instructions. For the superstructure, is the intent just to use the old instructions for the extended boom? It looks like your version is one 3x11 curved panel longer than the default. Are there any other changes I should know about?

Something to look forward to. The 42009 is sitting in my wife's closet. Supposed to be a Christmas present for this year. OK, I'll be patient. Then I found about about Jurgen's Ultimate 42009, and started gathering the extra parts needed for that. Now gerger works his magic, and...

Theoretically I can build the crane 3 different ways now. Cool...

can the LA's actually lift that :eek3:

Haha, I thought the exact same thing when I saw those pictures. That L motor packs quite a punch I guess.

Thanks Gerger! I'll get started on paginating the instructions. For the superstructure, is the intent just to use the old instructions for the extended boom? It looks like your version is one 3x11 curved panel longer than the default. Are there any other changes I should know about?

Good question. It was 4 sections 3x11 panel for the boom when I built my crane in April. When I was revising the functions, I found that 5 sections would look more real to the actural crane. And therefore I did it in soft copy but didn't physically change in my model, just because I didn't have the extra panels.. I will say 5 sections will be good as Christophe Moittie did a pretty good job for a very solid boom! I also followed this thread #25 suggestion that a loop cable is necessary to retract the boom (due to friction.)

One minor but obvious mistake I found in the file just now is the LED middle boxes are mis-placed. They should stay at the middle of seats like this:

middle-bloc-fix.jpg?dl=0

File is updated as same link in previous post.

61 and just getting started with this Technic stuff. You will all recognize the kid in my profile picture from the Technic instructions. My niece gave him grey hair, so now you all know what I look like.

Something to look forward to. The 42009 is sitting in my wife's closet. Supposed to be a Christmas present for this year. OK, I'll be patient. Then I found about about Jurgen's Ultimate 42009, and started gathering the extra parts needed for that. Now gerger works his magic, and...

Theoretically I can build the crane 3 different ways now. Cool...

Welcome JDC. I also come back from dark age after 30 and my first technic set is #8288 which is my favorite display still! 42009 will be just a start to mod this all wheel version. FYI, I also use 9398 and a few 42021 to reduce the amount of order for extra parts.

can the LA's actually lift that :eek3:

Haha, I thought the exact same thing when I saw those pictures. That L motor packs quite a punch I guess.

Unfortunately the answer is no. The carrier itself might lift up a little bit but once adding the super structure the whole thing will be well over 4kg.. However, the outrigger LAs really stabilize the independent suspension chassis from inclining too much, especially when rotating the whole super structure with the boom tilt horizontally.

Edited by gerger

I was referring to the boom LA's

Its such an impressive model, I look forward to building it.

How many wheels are powered?

Since I'm just getting started in this, I'll have to order the parts as I can. All I have so far are the extra parts for Jurgen's Ultimate 42009, plus the "hidden" ones in my wife's closet... yeah I know, for Christmas. I have no other sets to draw from. We have a LEGO store in town that sells parts, so maybe I should head that way.

Good question. It was 4 sections 3x11 panel for the boom when I built my crane in April. When I was revising the functions, I found that 5 sections would look more real to the actural crane. And therefore I did it in soft copy but didn't physically change in my model, just because I didn't have the extra panels.. I will say 5 sections will be good as Christophe Moittie did a pretty good job for a very solid boom!

I assume some changes besides just the panels themselves were necessary to support the panels (longer liftarms, more pins, etc.) so the extended boom instructions won't be quite right.

I also followed this thread #25 suggestion that a loop cable is necessary to retract the boom (due to friction.)

I plan to do the same thing. Were you able to use regular LEGO string with studs on the end for this, or did you need a custom solution?

One minor but obvious mistake I found in the file just now is the LED middle boxes are mis-placed. They should stay at the middle of seats like this:

I already noticed that and was going to ask about it. I've already started working the file so I can't download your new version or I'd end up overwriting, but I'll fix the diode placement. I also noticed you reduced from 3 LED sets to 2.

I have assumed you need 1 short PF extension and 2 long extensions. Is this correct?

I've finished creating the parts list, posted at my Bricksafe. There were quite a lot of changes. Some interesting statistics:

• MK I version was 3540 parts.
  • MK II version is 3503 parts, so it actually has fewer parts despite the improvements. Much of this is due to pins.
  • If you've already collected for the old model like I have, you'll need 289 new parts for the MK II version. None of the new parts are particularly rare.
  • If you've already collected for the old model like I have, you'll have 326 parts you don't need any more.

Blakbird, would you please clarify what you said about the MK I and ML II versions, and what you mean by the "old model"? I looked at the Bricklink files, and I don't have enough experience here to understand what you're statistics mean.

Blakbird, would you please clarify what you said about the MK I and ML II versions, and what you mean by the "old model"? I looked at the Bricklink files, and I don't have enough experience here to understand what you're statistics mean.

Read through the last couple of pages of this topic. Gerger made a bunch of changes to improve the model AFTER the original files were published. I am comparing before and after. All of the most recent posts are about the newest model.