^ awesome dolly!

I'm doing the Ultimate and had time to burn waiting on motors so I'm trying to enclose the crane. I wanted to hide the battery box but also make it easily slide in and out. It's a WIP

crane2

crane1

Here are some MODS that I have done to the 42009.

I started with Jurgens Ultimate 42009.

I then added afol1969's Extended Boom.

I have also started adding beams to widen the body as efferman did.

I had thought about adding another drive axle and after I added the Extended Boom I knew it needed to be done. Here are the results:

9344C852-27BA-492D-8644-07FC15843017.jpg

AEEDB555-3531-4ED7-94B8-0F11A08EF92D.jpg

To hold the Battery Box in place:

5F606B49-D6C8-4382-86C3-F7DCCC0B442C.jpg

Move the Infrared Recievers back because the cables are not long enough:

6BA68914-05D4-4BCE-92A7-2BEDA3D556C3.jpg

E26E4D98-8995-4BAE-8AC1-50F659108918.jpg

124D1A75-C82D-48DD-B6B6-0A08E3A53B62.jpg

I find that this design does not take away the rigidity of the model and functions well (still can't go over uneven surfaces, it would be nice to have all wheel drive).

In the future I plan to redesign the outriggers since the originals provided no stability. I would also like to incorporate a stronger turn table since the current one does not seem adequate with any type of load on it.

Here are some MODS that I have done to the 42009.

I started with Jurgens Ultimate 42009.

I then added afol1969's Extended Boom.

I have also started adding beams to widen the body as efferman did.

I had thought about adding another drive axle and after I added the Extended Boom I knew it needed to be done. Here are the results:

I find that this design does not take away the rigidity of the model and functions well (still can't go over uneven surfaces, it would be nice to have all wheel drive).

In the future I plan to redesign the outriggers since the originals provided no stability. I would also like to incorporate a stronger turn table since the current one does not seem adequate with any type of load on it.

nice mod. i have been doing the same thing for some time, but starting from the exterior as the original set doesn't look good, then all wheels drive, suspension, steering and so on that it becomes a total different chassis. the boom by Jurgens and extended arm by afol1969 are so good that i have no excuse not using them (and thx) right now the design is completed in LDD and i will have some post later when the build is done just to make sure everything work.

I think I have made enough progress to show my mod then moc based on 42009. The project start in August 2013 when I bought 42009 and decided to change to exterior based on Grove 6400 mobile crane, which look cool for me!

2013.08.jpg

Things on hold until recently I have the courage when sharing the drawings with friends and the time to finish the design in LDD. The result is a 12x12 mobile crane, with all wheel drive and independent suspension + steering. The boom and extended arm are simply Jurgens & afol1969 creation and the proportion works just great (many thanks you guys) Since I haven't build 42009 and I can only compare it in drawing.

6400vs42009.png

6400%20inside.png

The most challenging part is to pack all 3 functions (independent suspension+drive+steering) together within 17 stud wide as in 42009. The solution is to place a differential vertically along the driving shaft, which I have posted in the other thread for more details.

part-suspension-progress.png

The build started in March and the progress are so far so good :)

_DSC0625a.jpg

The back outrigger haven't build yet but the overall impression is there.

_DSC0634a.jpg

The chassis is stiff but the steering is wobble. I am wondering if I have to take out the independent suspension and adopt similar steering mechanism as in 42009. Also the double XL motors have just enough power to drive all 12 wheels.. ( and smashed a few 8 teeth gears during tests!)

_DSC0637a.jpg

_DSC0628a.jpg

It's my first moc in this scale, and there are still a lot to improve, eg wobble steering, better gear ratio, etc but I think the fun is there. I have a video link but don't know how to embed here.. Right now I am waiting more parts from bricklink to finish the boom and hopefully I can post the finish model soon.

Edited by gerger

Shotgun Booms. I love it. I built the Ultimate 42009 but this thing is wildly even more ambitious. nice work.

I loved the look of the cabin, looks very cool.

And in general, the model is very beautiful and quite functional, especially surprised that you did independent suspension, it is very cool, but one thing bothers me, you just have to put forward a crazy speed legs feeling that if they fly out of the ship's guns :)

I think I have made enough progress to show my mod then moc based on 42009. The project start in August 2013 when I bought 42009 and decided to change to exterior based on Grove 6400 mobile crane, which look cool for me!

6400%20inside.png

WHOA this is amazing and the differential idea is genius, ive been trying to make it all wheel drive with full steering and suspention too but I failed. any chance of an LXF file?

any chance of an LXF file?

That's I want to ask too. The crane is an impressive work - and would be another challenge to create instructions :wink:

Greetings

Alex

WHOA this is amazing and the differential idea is genius, ive been trying to make it all wheel drive with full steering and suspention too but I failed. any chance of an LXF file?

That's I want to ask too. The crane is an impressive work - and would be another challenge to create instructions :wink:

Greetings

Alex

I am more than welcome if there will be instructions of this MOC so that more crane can be built! There are about 2400 pieces for the chassis itself and another 1000 pieces for boom and extended arm which instructions are available already. The chassis is divided into 8 modules, with similar setup at front, middle and end suspension, same outrigger modules as in 42009, etc so that instructions won't be as challenging as in Wing Truck by Madoca ;)

I'm still fixing some issues on the drive and steer to make sure it's more playable. The original driving gears are some 8 teeth gears which are so fragile that I replaced a few time and decided to change to 12 & 20 teeth double bevel gear. The steering are shaky and I am extending the rack gears to minimize wobble.. That's something I'm picking up and that software cannot tell, then update into LXF file before I can share.

CAM00878-s.jpg

CAM00875-s.jpg

I also used a few bushes in black color for better looking of the cabinet but found that it's very rare item (and expensive) . My way of black bush MOC :)

CAM00843-s.jpg

Edited by gerger

Good Day guys,

i already fully build with my 42009 but i will like to try out Ultimate 42009.

i already saw Ultimate 42009 additional parts list and i wanna to get, so i can dismantle the old 42009 and rebuild into Ultimate 42009.

but there is some problem

1. by looking at the Ultimate 42009 additional parts list im not very sure what the code/design number

2. do i just need to get the Ultimate 42009 additional parts list http://bricksafe.com/files/JurgensTechnicCorner/Ultimate%2042009/Ultimate%2042009%20extra%20parts.png and build it together original parts from the box ?

3. where can i buy the additional parts only for Ultimate 42009?

hope you guys can help me <3

Thanks

@Alcatrax

For parts (lift arms, gears, pins panels etc) go to BrickLink.com

The electrics (power function motors, remotes, receivers.etc) Legos online store Shop@Home (lego.com) is the cheapest imo.

Looks just awesome. I finished ulitmate short time ago and love it. Only things I would like really add to ultimate is at least one more powered axle and was thinking that suspension would be also nice...And you already workig on ultimate version of ultimate adding exactly these features. Also design looks really good. My wife won'y be happy, but if you rellease some kind of instriuctions of final version I probably won't resist...

update: here you are the final 6 axles grove 6400 with the extended boom sit on top, making this crane heavier than i expected and much difficult to drive, and caused me some time to fix the gearing for drive and steer. I'm happy with it now :)

_DSC0755.JPG

_DSC0749.JPG

_DSC0751.JPG

Edited by gerger

That's real great work. I don't really like those yellow machines. But this carne is cool!!! I like the body work.

Good work.

The cab is beautiful. Way better than the original one.

And:

We want instructions! We want instructions!

Edit: Could you post your LDD files?

Edited by TinkerBrick

Update2: the LXFfile is here :) happy building!!

As you can see with the file, the chassis is grouped into several modules and i simply save each group into a single file and swing the camera / hide bricks to follow. Yet the order of some pieces may need attention because they may be interlocking or blocking one other. that's the down side without instruction.. There are also some dummy pieces which LDD doesn't include. I group/color them together so that it should be very straight forward to replace with.

One final words is that although the crane can drive and steer with all wheel independent suspension, the performance is average or less playful than I expect (mainly due to weight). I will prefer a more simple setup without independent suspension so that the drive can be faster and steering can be smooth. It's a good experience to understand the limits of PF so that my next project can be much better prepared.

Edited by gerger

Mighty fine looking crane there Gerger, i really like how you have captured the look of the crane front cabin.I have always admired this crane in the die cast model and i think you have done a excellent job on this technic one. Excellent work on the drive train and independent suspension...it drives and turns smoothly. I have nothing but high praise for you, well done. As said previously, instructions would be great. I really enjoyed building Jergens ultimate crane and i think this baby of yours would be an even better experience. Cheers and thanx, Pete.